Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm awfully sad to inform all of you that there is no longer a $19.99 unlimited data plan for either the Treo 600 or the future Treo 650. I went to one of the biggest Cingular stores in Modesto, California to find out about their data plan for the Treo. I was told that it was $39.99 and I asked if I could get MediaWorks with it and I was told I could not do that because that was only for none PDA phones. However, I insisted that 2 weeks ago I was told it was $19.99 but the representative denied and showed me what it seemed like an official data plans pricing list for cell phones. On the sheet, it stated that MediaWorks was for all cell phones except for PDA phones like Blackberry, Treo, etc. I told her to ask her manager that I wanted to get a Treo 600 and give it a try with MediaWorks. She asked her manager and she was told that I can only get an unlimited data plan for the Treo 650 for $39.99. I asked her if she had any other consumer pamphlet, but all she had was the official prices from her binder that was dated 1/6/05. She said that she could make me a copy of it, but I said no thanks.

Now, I'm really mad, disappointed, sad, frustrated and angry for all this time I waited for nothing but an unreachable Treo 650. I'm glad Sprint is there for the little guys like me, who are not paying 40 bucks for a data plan when I could pay $15 with Sprint data plan.

Bye Bye Cingular (Raising the Pricing Bar for Data Plans). Good luck selling your over-rated overpriced GSM Treo 650.

Al

Last edited by TreoRock; 01/17/2005 at 02:47 AM.
    i switched to sprint recently from tmobile because the best data plan for the treo 15$ unlimited 2month free and free for the second linebeside its fast up to 170 with laptop.
    BTW i used to live in modesto
    Disappointing.

Verizon told me that with the Treo 600 you would need an $80 data plan on top of you normal cell service.

If *everyone* starts doing this I'll go back to the most basic phone they sell and make it work with my stand-alone PDA.
    This is bad news for those who are patiently awaiting the GSM T650 from Cingular. But I think if you already have their media plan for $19.95 you will not experience the price hike. But if you don't sign up for a new term plan you will not be eligible for the $150 rebate/discount.

As for Verizon, I thought their PDA plan was $29.95, and the Laptop plan was $79.95
    I'm confused. I still see the $19.99 unlimited plan offered here:

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

Am I missing something?
    It's offered but where does it say it applies to PDA phones?

Once again, a SIMPLE FIX. Apply the $19.99 plan to your current non-PDA phone or pick up a cheap "web capable" GSM phone and apply it to that. Then swap SIMS. All done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dster
    I'm confused. I still see the $19.99 unlimited plan offered here:

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

Am I missing something?
    I agree with Mr. Ed, and that is what I will do. But, I think that implied you have to buy your phone unlocked from some other source. No way Cingular is going to just let you buy the phone from them and not activate it. I will not buy carrier subsidized phones for that reason. Any news on when an unlocked 650 will be available?
    Carl
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Wow, double what I pay for T-Mobile's unlimited plan. I hope T-mo doesn't catch on.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    wow...just when I thot it MIGHT be affordable...flippin' morons! GOSH!
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 01/17/2005 at 08:54 AM. Reason: inappropriate content
    Just buy the Treo, don't get any data paln. When you leave the shop, call 611. Talk to representative and tell him/her that you want to add the $19.99 Mediaworks data plan. When they ask you what kind of phone you have, simply tell them you have Motorola V180 (or another data capable phone).

I did this last year, and never have been questioned. You might want to give it a try. If it doesn't work, you can always return the phone for full refund in 2 weeks.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    at $40 a month, it would be cheaper to buy a 650 from P1 and get the $20 plan for a "regular" phone. if I can't "grandfather" my mediaworks plan with the new 650, I'll be checking all my options - including jumping ship and swimming over to Sprint :-(
    Vince
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Cingular's goals is to lock you in to a 2-year contract at the monthly data rate of $40.00/per. The website is a farse. It's design to get you into a 2-year deal. You would be wise to spend a little extra upfront and go into the store because in the end--the subsidized stuff is going to cost you more. Sprint wants 2-years also. You will have to walk into the Cingular store with a GSM phone of any type, establish a 1-year contract, get a sim, and walk out. That is step 1. Step 2 is up to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    Wow, double what I pay for T-Mobile's unlimited plan. I hope T-mo doesn't catch on.

Go T-mo
    I don't think they will change.
    i had t-mo for a while when i jumped over for a sidekick... but i came back to sprint for the treo (wife has been on sprint forever). i still get wigged out by voicemails that pop up b/c i was online when a call came in (gsm doesn't have that problem), but my wife had sprint vision for $5... so we added my phone to her plan and boom: 700 shared anytime minutes, all-i-can-eat-data, etc... for $75 a month (for both of us). i don't think i'll ever leave sprint b/c of that price. *grin*
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    It's offered but where does it say it applies to PDA phones?

Once again, a SIMPLE FIX. Apply the $19.99 plan to your current non-PDA phone or pick up a cheap "web capable" GSM phone and apply it to that. Then swap SIMS. All done.
    Another way to do it is yo buy the 650 w/out a data plan, but so you get the discount with a contract. Wait a few days, then call them and say you want to activate some old phone you have laying around. Give them the IMEI (if they ask for it, if they don't, it's not a big deal.) Then sign up for the $20 MEdiaWorks. Swap your SIMs, and you're good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    I'm awfully sad to inform all of you that there is no longer a $19.99 unlimited data plan for either the Treo 600 or the future Treo 650. I went to one of the biggest Cingular stores in Modesto, California to find out about their data plan for the Treo. I was told that it was $39.99 and I asked if I could get MediaWorks with it and I was told I could not do that because that was only for none PDA phones. However, I insisted that 2 weeks ago I was told it was $19.99 but the representative denied and showed me what it seemed like an official data plans pricing list for cell phones. On the sheet, it stated that MediaWorks was for all cell phones except for PDA phones like Blackberry, Treo, etc. I told her to ask her manager that I wanted to get a Treo 600 and give it a try with MediaWorks. She asked her manager and she was told that I can only get an unlimited data plan for the Treo 650 for $39.99. I asked her if she had any other consumer pamphlet, but all she had was the official prices from her binder that was dated 1/6/05. She said that she could make me a copy of it, but I said no thanks.

Now, I'm really mad, disappointed, sad, frustrated and angry for all this time I waited for nothing but an unreachable Treo 650. I'm glad Sprint is there for the little guys like me, who are not paying 40 bucks for a data plan when I could pay $15 with Sprint data plan.

Bye Bye Cingular (Raising the Pricing Bar for Data Plans). Good luck selling your over-rated overpriced GSM Treo 650.

Al

This board is as more than it's share of nahsayers. Well if it's from the biggest store in Modesto, it must be true. Please, this is easy to circumvent, even if it were true.

Sign for no data or measured $5.99 when you buy the Treo. 1 day later put your sim card in another phone change your service, and change it back to MEdia Works. They don't monitor phones. Like S38 says, don't buy from Cingular Store.
  17.    #17  
    For those of you who want to go through all the hazard of changing phones and changing plans and swapping SIM cards. What will happen if you have a problem with your Treo 650 and need to trouble shoot the problem with Cingular? It just sounds too risky. I don't know what their policy is, but if you get caught doing that don't you get penalized or something. Just a thought, I do want to get the Cingular Treo 650, but I don't want to be playing tricks with my phone company so I can get a 19.99 data plan.

Al
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    This board is as more than it's share of nahsayers. Well if it's from the biggest store in Modesto, it must be true. Please, this is easy to circumvent, even if it were true.

Sign for no data or measured $5.99 when you buy the Treo. 1 day later put your sim card in another phone change your service, and change it back to MEdia Works. They don't monitor phones. Like S38 says, don't buy from Cingular Store.
    Don't be mad at us. I know it is very dissapointing, but I'm just reporting what I found out. It does sucks and what is worst is that no matter how hard you try or how much you insist they have a documentation that explecitly states that MediaWorks does not work with PDA phones and I saw it with my own eyes. I wish I was wrong,

Al
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Even more reason to be happy that I switched from ATTWS to Sprint. $39.99 is ridiculous!
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    For those of you who want to go through all the hazard of changing phones and changing plans and swapping SIM cards. What will happen if you have a problem with your Treo 650 and need to trouble shoot the problem with Cingular? It just sounds too risky. I don't know what their policy is, but if you get caught doing that don't you get penalized or something. Just a thought, I do want to get the Cingular Treo 650, but I don't want to be playing tricks with my phone company so I can get a 19.99 data plan.

Al
    Better yet, you gotta go thru all this to pay $5 (or $10) more than Sprint for the same plan.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast