Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forget the whole $40/month plan. If you get a runaround with Cingular, just call back or go on line and add the $19.95 MEdia Works plan later. if they ask what phone you have, just give them the name of a compatible phone from their web site. Way too much time and energy is being expended on this thread. Those of us who have MEdia Works on our Treos are happy and not hassled. I for one do not plan to be locked in to an additional $20/month for 2 years in exchange for a $50 rebate.
    so i should just buy a treo 650 when it comes out for gsm and not get a data plan. and then buy some cheap phone and tell then that i am using that one, and get the media plan?? i am a current vzw customer so please be patient. i am just concerned that media and the treo650 will be useless when cingular goes to high speed data.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Ok, so assuming you can add the 19.95 mediaworks package later (I already have it, but if I buy the 650 through Cingular I'll have to change my contract), doesn't that mean buying the phone at full retail - somewhere along the lines of $700? That leads me to a theory - perhaps already stated elsewhere...
    Perhaps Cingular is going to wait until MediaWorks is no longer available ANYWHERE and cannot be grandfathered in before releasing the 650 (since many of us are currently using it with our 600s). Makes perfect sense to me. That date would be coming up very soon since the plan is over this month (or so it is being widely reported). I'll just have to do the math to see if the extra $20 a month will be worth it vs buying an "unlocked" phone at retail and getting the $19.95 plan on a cheap phone. This is becoming as confusing as the whole buy vs lease when car shopping!
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    Ok, so assuming you can add the 19.95 mediaworks package later (I already have it, but if I buy the 650 through Cingular I'll have to change my contract), doesn't that mean buying the phone at full retail - somewhere along the lines of $700? That leads me to a theory - perhaps already stated elsewhere...
    Perhaps Cingular is going to wait until MediaWorks is no longer available ANYWHERE and cannot be grandfathered in before releasing the 650 (since many of us are currently using it with our 600s). Makes perfect sense to me. That date would be coming up very soon since the plan is over this month (or so it is being widely reported). I'll just have to do the math to see if the extra $20 a month will be worth it vs buying an "unlocked" phone at retail and getting the $19.95 plan on a cheap phone. This is becoming as confusing as the whole buy vs lease when car shopping!
    Vince
    Well the nice thing is that since, with, Cingular. You have 30 days with a phone and a contract. If they change this cancel. Simple enough, return the phone, pay for usage only.

I just don't want a bunch of people running to an inferior carrier over speculation of a plan that isn't even on the net. Amazon is selling MEdia Works, and the Cing call centers are telling us (more than just me) how to circumvent the situation.

MEdia Works was never listed as a data plan for the 600. It wasn't removed and yet well all got it.

Sorry, one last question I forgot, the price of the phone. I am Vienna Channels so it doesn't apply to me but hmm. that is a big problem. Hard to decide before the issue is in front of us.
    That's exactly my point. If you havce to "trick" Cingular into giving you the Mediaworks plan for $19.95 on a Treo650 by lying to customer service about what type of phone it is you are trying to switch to then you can't be paying the special contract price for the T650, but rather a full $600+ price tage.

Nitpicking? Yes. Common sense? even more.
    What I did...
    Is bought my Treo 600 from Palm One directly (got it at a Palm One Retail Store.) Paid full price. When I got it I just switched my sim from the old phone to the new Treo. I already had Media Works on my previous phone.
    full retail for this phone is like $600
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    How is Cingular knowing what phone you have, tell them you have another. HELLO once again this is not rocket science.
    Well, actually, the IMEI of the handset and the IMSI of the SIM are broadcast when establishing a connection with the network...so if they want to, yes, they can find the type of handset that you have.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  9.    #49  
    'nuff of this already, I ordered my Treo 650 at mytreo.net for $319. The offer expires on the 31st of January and I get 30 days to test it. If Cingular comes out with a 19.99 plan I might go with Cingular in the mean time HELLO SPRINT..!!!

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    That's exactly my point. If you havce to "trick" Cingular into giving you the Mediaworks plan for $19.95 on a Treo650 by lying to customer service about what type of phone it is you are trying to switch to then you can't be paying the special contract price for the T650, but rather a full $600+ price tage.

Nitpicking? Yes. Common sense? even more.
    No customer service knows I have a Treo, they are the ones who told me what to do. I am not lying, they are .

I never have paid full price for any of the phones, except the first Visor phone. handpring always had a great upgrade and now Vienna Channels so I wont hav to go through Cingular.
    what the hell is vienna channels and how do i get in?
    And another one bites the dust!

Welcome to the "I'm too weak to resist!" club!

(Still waiting for an unlocked GSM Treo 650, but using the dark side until then)

Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    'nuff of this already, I ordered my Treo 650 at mytreo.net for $319. The offer expires on the 31st of January and I get 30 days to test it. If Cingular comes out with a 19.99 plan I might go with Cingular in the mean time HELLO SPRINT..!!!

Al
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterMax
    what the hell is vienna channels and how do i get in?
    Idiom in ASL: Train ...zoom...gone!
    Opportunity, for now, is over.
    what you talkin about willis??
    LOL. Vienna Channels (http://www.ViennaChannels.com) is a B2B channel distribution company. In other words; a distributor.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123