Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    Don't be mad at us. I know it is very dissapointing, but I'm just reporting what I found out. It does sucks and what is worst is that no matter how hard you try or how much you insist they have a documentation that explecitly states that MediaWorks does not work with PDA phones and I saw it with my own eyes. I wish I was wrong,

Al
    I am not mad at you. You have reported this about 20 times on different posts. It is not on Cingular's website and they still are selling MEdia works, which is slightly amazing to me because you claim the offer will be over at the end of January. Does that mean people who sign get 15 days at $19.95??? It is amazing to because I have had MEdia Works for the past 4 months and it works fantastically. You say it won't work. Now if they do change the plan to $40, which I am willing to admit but there is no evidence of it on Cingular's site. Even if all those things are true, easy ways to get around it. By the way are you a Cingular customer or a Sprint customer??

BTW I would not jump ship anyway.
    If you have it they obviously aren't going to take it away (or you will be able to terminate your contract for a rate increase) unless you change your contract plan. The website does show MW but does NOT show what phones it is NOT applicable to. Try purchasing a Treo 600 online and see what data plans become available.

The 650 will also have a rebate when it is released, but it will require the $40 data plan to qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I am not mad at you. You have reported this about 20 times on different posts. It is not on Cingular's website and they still are selling MEdia works, which is slightly amazing to me because you claim the offer will be over at the end of January. Does that mean people who sign get 15 days at $19.95??? It is amazing to because I have had MEdia Works for the past 4 months and it works fantastically. You say it won't work. Now if they do change the plan to $40, which I am willing to admit but there is no evidence of it on Cingular's site. Even if all those things are true, easy ways to get around it. By the way are you a Cingular customer or a Sprint customer??

3.    #23  

Why don't you do these two things?
    1. Call the business number at Cingular 866-429-7222 and tell them that you want to get the Treo 600, but first you want to find out how much will it be to get a data plan in it?
    2. Go to the biggest Cingular store you find in your town and do the same thing. But this time ask for documentation on the prices and that you want to see with your own eyes where it says that you cannot get MediaWorks with the Treo 650.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that Cingular is bringing Edge Service to the Treo 650. It might be worthed for some people, but not for me. I'm with Verizon right now, but my contract ends on the 31st of this month so I'm shopping around for a good deal.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    If you have it they obviously aren't going to take it away (or you will be able to terminate your contract for a rate increase) unless you change your contract plan. The website does show MW but does NOT show what phones it is NOT applicable to. Try purchasing a Treo 600 online and see what data plans become available.

The 650 will also have a rebate when it is released, but it will require the $40 data plan to qualify.
    Well actually, I did, the same plans that have always come up. Some how I missing the $40 PDA plan, I don't see it. But I can do exactly what I did with my 600. Signed up with measured $2.99 then changed my plan on the phone. I didn't change my sim card or any of the other situations I suggested.
    Where is the supposed PDA plan??
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Disappointing.

Verizon told me that with the Treo 600 you would need an $80 data plan on top of you normal cell service.

If *everyone* starts doing this I'll go back to the most basic phone they sell and make it work with my stand-alone PDA.
    That isn't even close to being true. I'm not calling you a liar -- I'm saying that whoever at Verizon told you that was lying and you can check it yourself. It is $44.99 with a voice plan or $49.99 without one. From the VZW website:

PDA/Smartphone
    Browse the Internet with your PDA or Smartphone.

Plans offer NationalAccess airtime allowance to browse Internet using web browser on PDA or Smartphone. Voice & other data usage charged separately. Coverage Map Voice/other data usage--
    Home Airtime Rate Area: $0.25

Domestic roaming: $0.69 $49.99
    Unlimited access within NationalAccess service area
    I also question how true the rumor is that Cingular's $19.99 plan is no long available for Treos.
    Well it is slightly true - I just went on their website, added a Treo600 into the basket and clicked on data plans. Mediaworks is not an option!!!!! And like I've said all along look at the back of the media works pamphlet and it clearly states the 50% off of the unlimted for 19.99 ends 1/31/05.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    SO I just got off the phone with B2B. I asked them to add a Treo 600 to a basket. The only data plan that comes up for the Treo is the Laptop connect plan where unlimited is 79.99 a month. THey told me you can no longer have a Treo or a BB on the mediaworks packages?!?!?!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    On amazon if you select the 600 with cingular you can add the $19.99 plan, and no mention of any other data plan. Hopefully it stays this way for the 650
    Geez this gets frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yeah guys, I just tried to see what would happen if I wanted MedieWorks for 19.99 (I already have it and have no problems) but Cingular website does not come up with area code 28227. I even ran through a purchase of a T600 and got nothing about mediaworks, noly media net at much more money....I didn't believe this post at first, I thought it was all sh*t, but seems to be true

But oh well....I already have it, so unless they plan to shut down my mediaworks....I am still doing well
    I thought this was crap too, but just tried to get new service online with each the Blackberry, the treo 600 and the MPx220. Media Works was not an option! It was an option on normal phones like sony t637, Razr etc. What a bunch of crap. No that being said there was NO UNLIMITED usage plan available. 2 low levels of Media Net are available, but not an all inclusive one. So I don't think this is closed by any means.
    I'm loving my $15 price on Sprint, but I'm just waiting on the bean counters to see this proft oppotrunity and raise the data pricing. I'm not an alarmist, but the day will for Sprint... :-( No way I'm paying more for my cable modem to squint at PDA graphics...
    So I called Cingular CS to talk about my MEDIA options if I ordered a Treo 600, a Blackberry, or MPx220. They sent me to their Media department said it was called their E-store. Number is 1.866.562.6061. Talked to a nice gentleman who was concerned that unlimited MediaWorks for $19.99 was not showing as an available feature for those devices. He said it should be there, but didn't know why. He said after you get your phone simply call us back up and we can add it for you at the normal price which is right now $19.99.
    has anyone confirmed this?? can they take it away if you get the $19 unlimited media? what speed does media connect at?
    Gee whiz people. If you really want Cingular and the MediaWorks plan, you can get it. Follow the advice of the guys with Cingular. This is the beauty of SIM cards. The carrier has no idea what kind of phone you are using. Some people will say that Cingular can see what kind of phone you have your SIM in. If that's the case why haven't they taken away my MediaWorks plan. I've called Cingular tech support for my 600 and they didn't take away my MediaWorks. I got my 600, logged on to my account online and added it. Didn't talk to anyone. I had a problem with my SIM. I bought a new 64k SIM. Called Cingular to activate it. Cingular asked what kind of phone. I tell them T600. Sir, you can't have MediaWorks on that phone. I say no problem. Rep removes it and activates my SIM. One hour later, I log on to my account and add it. 10 minutes later I check my email with snappermail.

There are bunches of cheap phones on ebay. Start your account with Cingular and the 650, no data plan. Buy a cheap POS on ebay as a backup. Everyone should have a backup phone anyway. If MediaWorks is available for you to add online, do it. If not, change your phone type online and then add it. You can do all of this without the extra phone and without calling Cingular.
    If I throw a stick, will you go away?
    so what kind of speed are you getting with Media and what are all of media's capabilities? does the data plan allow you to do more on the internet?
    BTW guys, if you think this is pain, its not. If you're smart enough to use a 650, then you're smart enough to have Cingular with the 19.99 data plan.

Can Cingular "crack down" on this? Hell yeah, but it will be difficult for them since its difficult for them to see what kind of phone your SIM is in. Same with Nextel since they use SIMs.

On the other hand, if Sprint wants to jack up the price of Vision, the user is paying more since with CDMA carriers you have to call and beg them to change your phone. I was with Sprint for about 4 years before switching to Cingular and I have a Verizon account for work.

I am not an advocate for GSM or Cingular. Their customer service can suck as much as the next carrier. My point is that is you want to use Cingular don't let this stop you.
    If you want to use Sprint or someone else rock on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterMax
    so what kind of speed are you getting with Media and what are all of media's capabilities? does the data plan allow you to do more on the internet?
    I never checked my speed. You can do some research on it but I think that Sprint's data speeds are faster than GPRS. I did notice that Snappermail was slower on my Cingular 600 than my Sprint 600. I think edge is slightly faster than Sprint's. Sprint is rolling out EVDO which even faster and Cingular is rolling out UTMS which is faster than edge.

I surf the net, check email, whatever.
    I can't believe these people are not paying attention. This is not Sprint, this is not Verizon this is GSM. You can change phones like you change hats. Don't sign for a rebate that forces you into a $40 a month plan. Don't sign for a plan at all. How is Cingular knowing what phone you have, tell them you have another. HELLO once again this is not rocket science. When I change phones I don't call Cingular DO YOU???? I have had them for 4-6 years, I can't remember, I know how the work. The rep told me not to worry about it. My rep is out this week or I would hav a more definitive answer. Last I talked she knew nothing of the supposed $40 plan.
    I can't believe these people are not paying attention. This is not Sprint, this is not Verizon this is GSM. You can change phones like you change hats. Don't sign for a rebate that forces you into a $40 a month plan. Don't sign for a plan at all. How is Cingular knowing what phone you have, tell them you have another. HELLO once again this is not rocket science. When I change phones I don't call Cingular DO YOU???? I have had them for 4-6 years, I can't remember, I know how the work. The rep told me not to worry about it. My rep is out this week or I would hav a more definitive answer. Last I talked she knew nothing of the supposed $40 plan.
    Chuckle....

I hear you. I have been through so many phones and I have talked to Cingular I think twice. Once to activate my new 64k SIM. This is one thing that's cool about GSM and iDEN.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast