1.    #1  
    I've just installed ZLauncher 5.10.3. I like it alot,...., but is there a launcher out there with a better file manager? I'm looking for a file manager that is Windows Explorer like (i.e. ability launch executable files from the view option)

I use both fileZ and the Zlaunch File Manager, but neither one can actually launch an app. Any other file managers that are tried and trusted?
    Thats funny, the main reason I use zlauncher is the file manager I think it is better than anything out there. I do most the managing from the folder gui (tap and hold the icons don't go to the file manager icon) looks like windows interface.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Since I got my wife a T600, I've had to search the web for a new launcher (I use Launcher X, but I wanted something else for her since LX development has pretty much stopped for the near term). I tried ZLauncher, and a LOT of the others. Zlauncher is pretty good. Right now she enjoys MegaLauncher the best, and it might be the one I end up registering for her. I'd give it a try, it has a great explorer function as well.
    I'll put my two cents in for MegaLauncher also. I own ZLauncher, but use MegaLauncher. It's much cleaner, and has a great file manager(launches from view option, drop and drag, dual windows, etc). And it has a built in backup utility. It looks like they just released v 5.5 today maybe? Check out the Extra Gray skin. Very nice looking.
  5.    #5  
    MegaLauncher sounds like my app. I'll do a search. Thanks, EvilJack
  6.    #6  
    Just downloaded and installed MegaLauncher 5.5. I think it is superior to ZLauncher, and it is also cheaper ($14.95 after the trial period, compared to ZLauncher 's $19.95)

The commander feature is great. While viewing the list of available files, you can launch an app, but, unlike Windows Explorer, there is no file association so that if you click a document from the file list the application launches and loads that document.

Is it too much to ask your Palm to totally replace your desktop or laptop compuyer? I think it is. Maybe I'll check out a PPC before my Treo 650 return date expires.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Just downloaded and installed MegaLauncher 5.5. I think it is superior to ZLauncher, and it is also cheaper ($14.95 after the trial period, compared to ZLauncher 's $19.95)

The commander feature is great. While viewing the list of available files, you can launch an app, but, unlike Windows Explorer, there is no file association so that if you click a document from the file list the application launches and loads that document.

Is it too much to ask your Palm to totally replace your desktop or laptop compuyer? I think it is. Maybe I'll check out a PPC before my Treo 650 return date expires.
    Hehe, I'm a PPC guy but my 650 has replaced it for 90% of my needs. Still prefer the PPC, (or Windows Mobile as it is now called) platform over POS, but the 650 to me is the best combo of Phone/PDA out there.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    TonyH
    I use both zlauncher and megalauncher and while you can launch apps but not text from the commander in megalauncher, you can do the opposite in zlauncher text, but not apps, someday soon someone will give you both (depending on definition of soon).
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Does MegaLauncher 5.5 allow you to transfer apps to the card, like ZLauncher?
    Just tried out the newest MegaLauncher, didn't seem to support the Signal Strength Indicator on my treo 650. Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by mlctulsa
    Does MegaLauncher 5.5 allow you to transfer apps to the card, like ZLauncher?

no, while commander will let you move files to the sd card it is not automated (so you have to know all files that need to be moved), zlauncher does a better job doing it automatically and giving you options to where you want to move it to and taking related files.

megalauncher will only allow for apps to be in the palm\launcher folder in order for shortcuts(links) to be created. If the app you want to use is in any other folder you have to use commander to launch it. zlauncher will auto create shortcuts upon moving apps to sd card
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Just tried out the newest MegaLauncher, didn't seem to support the Signal Strength Indicator on my treo 650. Am I wrong?

megalauncher does not do this yet
    Yes, you can transfer apps to you SD card seemlessly. I've been using it for a month now doing that, with no issues. And matty, you are correct, the signal strength indicator still does not work on the 650. I've emailed the developer and he is aware of the issue. But honestly, it's not really an issue for me right now. I can deal without a signal strenght meter.
  14.    #14  
    Word of caution about ZLauncher:

I moved WorldMate to the SD card using the Treo's category edit. MegaLaunch can see and launch it. ZLaunch can't see it.

I guess I may keep both. Each has its own pros and cons
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, PPC's have their virtues; mainly because they resemble desktop windows so much. They have the ability to multitask ( adream of a Palm user).

The closest thing to multitasking in Palm is called "multithreading" which is only available in Palm Cobalt. No one that I know is using this OS on any devices such as smartphones yet.

Oh, the agony of being a geek!