Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I thought about posting this under accessories, but I think it fits more under usability...

When I got my 650, I felt like the 5-way nav seems seated more deeply into the 650, whereas the nav on the 600 was more raised and usable. The 650 just seems a teensy bit more cramped around the 5-way.

Anyway, I ordered the white/clear SKIN CASE from T|C and it fits like a glove! But, one of the unexpected benefits of the case is that the hard keys and 5-way buttons are actually raised more and I feel like they're more usable.

I don't like wearing my phone on my hip so much anymore and the skin case protects it at all times and makes me feel safer about carrying MY PRECIOUSSSS around.

The other day I dropped The Precious in a public bathroom and the battery cover slid under one stall, the battery under a second stall, and the Treo slid across the floor into a THIRD stall! I don't want to do any drop tests, but I am betting that this will save my baby from the impact and scratches from being dropped.

Plus, the keyboard is cut out and so no loss of usability there.

Hope you find this helpful-- I'm a big fan of the skin case so far...
    I got the skin case for my wife when I gave her my 600. My 650 just has a cobbled set of (treo600) eGrips. I like it except the extra bulk. I love the size of the treo but the thickness bugs me a bit... I wish they could split the difference between the current depth and a typical palm.

glad to hear your treo survived a drop like that. The downside to the removable battery is that flimsy case. I still marvel at how solid the 600 'feels' compared to the 650.
    this is not an accident, this is art.
    Expecting mine in Smoke Carbon this week. I was concerned about the usability of the covered buttons. Glad to hear the positive review.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    When I got my 650, I felt like the 5-way nav seems seated more deeply into the 650, whereas the nav on the 600 was more raised and usable. The 650 just seems a teensy bit more cramped around the 5-way.
    I've found it to be quite the opposite! I'll agree the navigator feels a bit more cramped due to the keyboard coming close to it. It's more difficult to press "down" than it was on the 600. However, it's infinitely easier to press the center button on the 650. On the 600, I had to keep my nails long to properly press the center button without pressing all four buttons at once.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I got mine this week in smoke carbon and love it although it was a little thicker than I expected but it offers excellent grip and sure does have anti slip properties when set down on a surface. Just wish I could figure something that will make carrying it easy. I have asked seidio for options and they are sending me a holster to test for them. I had bought their holster and then decided to get the silicone skin from TC. After the skin came in I realized that there was no extra room for the case on the treo to fit in the holster. So I asked seidio about this thinking that I couldn't be the only one with the need for a way to carry my treo. The holster alone is great but when you remove the phone from it you have to be very careful because of how slippery the phone is without a cover of any kind. The new holster should be in soon and I will report on it if I'm successful with this solution. But I do highly recommend the silicone cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    The other day I dropped The Precious in a public bathroom and the battery cover slid under one stall, the battery under a second stall, and the Treo slid across the floor into a THIRD stall! .
    Make any new friends retrieving your parts?
    lol. hahahaha
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    actually, the really crappy part was the guy in stall #1 hands the battery to the guy in stall #2, thinking the Treo came from that direction...

So, picture if you will- ME- trying to speak through stall doors saying "Uh, actually that's my battery cover!"

I dropped my 650 once before in front of a rental car return bus, and couldn't find my cover...actually made the driver back up 10 feet so I could find it in the headlights...

Jeez...at least the skin will keep it from blowing apart like some of the Star wars toys I have from back in the day.
    mattTarr,

Regarding the flimsiness due to the removable cover, did you try the velcro tip posted on this board? It is one of the most important tips I ever got here and it makes the 650 as solid as could be!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    wjwhitty - Can you post a picture of the smoke carbon? I'm planning to order a skin case but can't decide between the clear white and smoke carbon. How do you like the look of yours?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Wish I could show you it but not at my computer. Love the color of the smoke gray. Looked at Boxwaves, but at the time they only had frosted white and frosted blue. Just wanted something that didn't stand out like a Neon light. Also didn't like the fact that I had to have the belt clip. Don't know why they added that without the option to not have it. I know you can remove it but you still have a raised area in back and a hole. Also I've heard some complaints about their silicone skin. The S-650 silicone case is snug and fits well still exposing what you need to get to. Actually almost a little to difficult to get out of once in it when you have to get to the battery area ie: Reset, but I can put up with that knowing it fits securely. And its even easier to do the Five way as the original poster said. Again the only problem I have is not having a way to carry it on me without it being in a pocket or brief case. Like the holster idea and I'm working on that with Seidio. I have looked at Sena's case with belt clip option and I may eventually switch to that If unsucessful with Seidio. But the silicone skin is very good. Just a hair thick as said before. Good luck deciding.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjwhitty
    Wish I could show you it but not at my computer. Love the color of the smoke gray. Looked at Boxwaves, but at the time they only had frosted white and frosted blue. Just wanted something that didn't stand out like a Neon light. Also didn't like the fact that I had to have the belt clip. Don't know why they added that without the option to not have it. I know you can remove it but you still have a raised area in back and a hole. Also I've heard some complaints about their silicone skin. The S-650 silicone case is snug and fits well still exposing what you need to get to. Actually almost a little to difficult to get out of once in it when you have to get to the battery area ie: Reset, but I can put up with that knowing it fits securely. And its even easier to do the Five way as the original poster said. Again the only problem I have is not having a way to carry it on me without it being in a pocket or brief case. Like the holster idea and I'm working on that with Seidio. I have looked at Sena's case with belt clip option and I may eventually switch to that If unsucessful with Seidio. But the silicone skin is very good. Just a hair thick as said before. Good luck deciding.
    this thread has convinced me that the S650 is the way to go!!
    • the skin case protects the part of the phone that's pressed 80% of the time, so that's good news
    • the S650 case looks like it fits more snugly around the actual phone than the boxwave
    • the boxwave "nub" at the rear (for the belt clip) seems like it would bulge through a pants pocket

the only worry for me is how to carry during those times I'd rather not pocket it, same as wjwhitty. i'm wondering if the skin case would easily slide into this: Treo Side Case
    Anyone tried it? tks
    Why does the review author say

"The only time that Treo 650 users will need to remove the S650 case is when changing the Treo's battery"

From the pics there looks like a cutout for the battery charger plug? Am I missing something?
    Where and how does one use the lanyard on the T/C skincase?

Also, how is the volume control on the side work since it appears to be covered? Or is it like the 5-way...even better to use?

tc
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Volume is covered and protected but still very easy tho control with touch and the 5 way is even easier to toggle because it is now raised. I don't personally use the lanyard. Seems like a foolish add on because I would never hang it from anything except me on a belt or pocket.
    Definately keep us updated. I was planning on getting that Seido holster, but like you was also worried about the slipperyness of the 650. It would be awesome if the 650 w/ the skin will fit in a belt holster.

Quote Originally Posted by wjwhitty
    I got mine this week in smoke carbon and love it although it was a little thicker than I expected but it offers excellent grip and sure does have anti slip properties when set down on a surface. Just wish I could figure something that will make carrying it easy. I have asked seidio for options and they are sending me a holster to test for them. I had bought their holster and then decided to get the silicone skin from TC. After the skin came in I realized that there was no extra room for the case on the treo to fit in the holster. So I asked seidio about this thinking that I couldn't be the only one with the need for a way to carry my treo. The holster alone is great but when you remove the phone from it you have to be very careful because of how slippery the phone is without a cover of any kind. The new holster should be in soon and I will report on it if I'm successful with this solution. But I do highly recommend the silicone cover.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Actually I know that the holsters available now don't with the skin on. I should be receiving a holster to try out with the skin on that should have enough room from Seidio. Hasn't arrived yet but will post when I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthronin
    Why does the review author say

"The only time that Treo 650 users will need to remove the S650 case is when changing the Treo's battery"

From the pics there looks like a cutout for the battery charger plug? Am I missing something?
    The cutout at the bottom is for plugging your hotsyc cable, not for opening the battery door. The skin case has to come off to remove the battery.
    re: Skin cases and cradles

I know this is too early for T650, so I'll ask T600 users:

Can you plug the T600 in the cradle while in the FlexSkin or S-case?
    My S650 arrived today. So far I am impressed, but will be able to comment more with additional use. I did think it would be more snug. There is some play underneath the navigation area. But overall, it is just what I was looking for - protection without inconvenience. And the smoke carbon is sharp looking. Here is a pic....

http://serenci.home.comcast.net/smokecarbon3.jpg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast