1.    #1  
    I've been waiting for, well, it seems like forever for the 650 to come out. I'd like to combine my Tungsten T with my cell phone but want the high-rez screen. But now after reading so much about the memory issues with the 650, I'm wondering if it will work for me. It seems like most of my main Palm programs are databases of some type.

Since I travel a lot and rely on Vindago, I was wondering if anyone here had any real-world experience with using it on a 650? The files for most cities run 1-1.5 meg and I'm wondering just how big these blow up with NVFS?

Thanks,

Bob
    I've been using Vindigo since the day I got my 650 and it works fine. If the city files take up more memory, it's not significant. I only wish they would make it hi res.
    I guess we are spoiled, everytime I see a low res app - I just get upset. But we must remember where we were a few months ago.
  4.    #4  
    That's good news though I am surprised. I figured Vindago would be one of those that got really huge since it's a pretty large database.

Thanks...
    I've used Vindigo in the past on other Sprint, non-PDA, phones, and have always wished I had it on the Treo. Where the hell do you get it from? On normal Sprint phones its available for download over Vision, but I can't find it for the Treo.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    You need to download if from Vindigo.com under OS5. Works the same on PDA's as it does on the 650
    I'm a long time Vindigo user but i really with that they'd release something that is high-res and takes advantage of the nav. pad.

The newest version of Avant-Go is so many light years ahead of Vindigo that it's almost embarassing.
    Couldn't agree more! I'm also a long-time user and I often feel like contacting Vindigo to berate them for their shameless lack of updates of their software.
    Please do. We would all benefit.
    ~'kito
    Has anyone ever had one of their suggestions for restaurants or bars added to the vindigo database? I've sent several suggestions and haven't seen any updates?
    I have the distinct feeling that the makers of Vindigo are basically sitting back after having created a pretty good cash cow. They found little incentive to innovate and update when there is really no reasonable competition out there. It's short-sighted because this can't last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I have the distinct feeling that the makers of Vindigo are basically sitting back after having created a pretty good cash cow. They found little incentive to innovate and update when there is really no reasonable competition out there. It's short-sighted because this can't last forever.
    Never the less, I use it in multiple cities, and I am in love with it! Show me something better, I might consider switching.

Their map/directions component stands alone in my experience.

In fact the only thing I have not tried in their app is the GPS support, although I will, since I have mine working now...
    barky81,

Your tone sounds like you think we are in disagreement. My post said that they have no competition, isn't that what you're saying? What I added is that they do not update their software.

As to their GPS support, they only support the oroginal palm serial connection, again, it has not been updated since it came out.
    Last edited by silverado; 01/26/2005 at 03:43 PM.
    I've actually had quite a few suggestions show up, it doesn't happen over night but they pay attention.

On the update front, I've emailed them and they've replied that they don't comment on upcoming product releases.

In terms of updating also, I ask only four things:
    * High Res
    * Wireless update actually work
    with multiple cities, or when you
    add another city while you're
    away from your computer
    * 5 Way navigation support
    * And lastly, bringing the music
    channel to all cities, I can't live
    without it.

I'm done hijacking the thread.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Vindigo definitely has some competition. I'm in the process of evaluating Handmark Express (http://www.handmark.com), which offers much of the same functionality.

I love Vindigo but am also disappointed by their lack of updates and hires/nav support. I did try sending a new listing a long time ago and am pretty sure nothing came of it.

I wouldn't say they've been sitting on their laurels; it looks like they've been putting effort to porting their app to various non-Palm/Windows cell phones.

What other programs besides Express provide similar features?
    OK, I may have missed it, but isn't Vindigo hi-res? I downloaded the latest version a few weeks ago, and it looks pretty sharp.

Also, I think their GPS support went beyond Palm serial. I had a Visor with a GPS module, and I think I used it with Vindigo before, but it could be a false memory ("I tell you, my Visor could do anything!").

I keep Vindigo on my expansion card, and use ZLauncher, and everything works great. I had some trouble at first where I also told my PalmDesktop to install Vindigo on the card, so it was in two folders, but what works best is to just install it normally, then use ZLauncher's file mover to move it to the card, then launch it with ZLauncher.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raul
    Vindigo definitely has some competition. I'm in the process of evaluating Handmark Express (http://www.handmark.com), which offers much of the same functionality.

I love Vindigo but am also disappointed by their lack of updates and hires/nav support. I did try sending a new listing a long time ago and am pretty sure nothing came of it.

I wouldn't say they've been sitting on their laurels; it looks like they've been putting effort to porting their app to various non-Palm/Windows cell phones.

For cost purposes, it's hard to beat Vindigo. I tried Express when it came out in the spring, and it was decent, but $70/yr. Not worth it for me personally since Vindigo is $25/yr. But I have to agree, Vindigo seems like they've been sitting on there *** since they released 2.0.
    I agree that Express is not as good as Vindigo which I've been using since they came out with 2.0.

As for GPS support, this is the message that the 2.0 client shows when you enable it from the location menu:

GPS support requires a NMEA-compatible GPS receiver attached to your Palm serial port.

Tap OK to enable GPS support. (You can disable it later in the Preferences dialog.)
    It may have worked with the Visor serial cable too, but both technologies are ancient by today's standards and it's shameful for that to be the only supported connection type.

I really like Vindigo, I just wish they were a bit more alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by raul
    Has anyone bothered to try iFodors? I couldn't get the trial to work.

Barring that, how about a mobile version of CitySearch?

-MB
    Will Vindigo work if the software stays in the RAM (for faster launch) and the database is moved to the SD card? (that is how my Avantgo is set up) Or do both have to be on the SD card?
    Does cable hotsync still work if one or both are moved to the SD card?
    I am using ZLauncher.
    Any ideas?