Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow...just bought my Treo 650 today from Sprint and found this forum as I was surfing around... :-)

It looks great and I am thrilled with having a cell phone and PDA in ONE package!

Got some software questions for those who may be 'in the know' here though...

1) I like both Yahoo and AOL instant messenger and have been looking at some chat programs tonight without downloading them.
    * Verichat looks nice - does anyone here use it?

*AirIM also looks nice but I don't know if it works for the 650 or just the 600? Anyone compared the two?

2) I'm an AOL user (yeah...I know it sucks...but anyway... :-) ) and I saw that there is an AOL program - but as far as I can see they don't support 650 yet.. Any AOL users here that have any experience or recommendations for good applications on a 650? :-)

3) Connecting to my 'work email'.
    I'm studying right now but I have a part time job at a company here in San Francisco where I use Micrsoft Outlook and they even installed a VPN (?) connection on my laptop so I can do some work from home/school (it's graphic design stuff). Now I would LOVE to be able to get and send emails with that outlook account just like the black berry boys do. Can I?!? :-)

That's it for now..I know real newbie questions..but I've only had it for hmm.....7 hours.. :-)

Thanks in advance!!
    Congrats on your purchase

1. Lots of folks on the board use Verichat and really like it. Check out Causerie as well (www.mantragroup.com)

2. I think people use either Versamail or Snappermail to connect to AOL, a whole lot more stable

3. Leave work at work Depends on the type of VPN (IPSec vs. PPTP) being used assuming the email server is behind the firewall and you can only connect to it via VPN. Also might need assistance from the IT group to supply you with some information to get it working that they may not so readily give out. Check out this thread for some more info:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=68934

Enjoy!
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    do you need the vpn to check work email? or can you check your work email with anyinternet connection?

ask your it ppl if they have pop or imap access.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    1) I like both Yahoo and AOL instant messenger and have been looking at some chat programs tonight without downloading them.
    * Verichat looks nice - does anyone here use it?
    Verichat is great...I use it to connect to AIM, Yahoo, and MSN instant messengers all together. It works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    3) Connecting to my 'work email'.
    I'm studying right now but I have a part time job at a company here in San Francisco where I use Micrsoft Outlook and they even installed a VPN (?) connection on my laptop so I can do some work from home/school (it's graphic design stuff). Now I would LOVE to be able to get and send emails with that outlook account just like the black berry boys do. Can I?!? :-)
    One option is to use Sprint Business Connection, which provides push email and calendar to your Treo. However, with BC, you need to leave the laptop VPN'd into the corporate network.

A second option is to try the built-in Versamail application. With Versamail, you have to sync to send/receive your email. The sync can be scheduled as well as manual sync.

Your best bet is probably to try Versamail first and see if it meets your needs (since it's free). Otherwise, look at BC if you need push email.
    a chick with a treo. now that's sexy.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the answers

Here's a horrible confession..I was up until 4:30am just playing with the phone, downloading things to it..and reading the 300+ page manual....

Got some more questions if anyone out there want to take a stab at it....

1) Verichat works pretty well but is there ANY way to turn off the SOUND that it makes when you get an incoming message?

(Oh and thanks for the link to the Causerie messenger...I'm looking at it right now..) :-)

2) VPN. Thanks for the Movian VPN software idea. I found this site: http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/vpn/movian-install.html and I'm going to ask the company if this is something they can setup for me..

3) Chatter
    Where can I find the program 'Chatter' - or is it still in some beta-phase?

Thanks again so very much!!
    On your sprint pcs vision home page (treo 650 blazer browser) (http://vision.sprintpcs.com) you have access to Aim and Yahoo Messenger (both free from sprint). Just click the home button in Blazer (treo web browser) Here you can get to your pcs mailbox (select messaging); and you'll see an option for instant messaging and there will be two links one for aol instant messenger and Yahoo messenger. I use Aim; just click sign on and put in your info and that's it your chatting over vision pcs via AIM or Yahoo Messenger.
    Last edited by davetheone; 01/16/2005 at 03:37 PM.
    You can find chatter at www.imchatter.com Marc, the developer, is always adding new things based on user input. You can download a free 30 day trial and it is about $25 dollars as a one time fee with free lifetime upgrades. If you have imap access to your company email...you REALLY need to try it for 'blackberry' email type of experience.
    re: verichat and sounds

menu . . . options . . . Preferences . . . sounds and alerts. uncheck the audible options.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by dethman
    a chick with a treo. now that's sexy.

she isn't the only one, but they all seem to HOT!!!!!!

Felipe
    for the sound a quick way to do it is the move the button on top of the unit to the mute position, then it will just vibrate (and you can turn that off in prefs if you want), and when you are done just switch the sound back on. There are other software programs that will let you remap the sounds, but that may be a bit much at the moment.
    Just an oberservation....why hasn't anyone flamed her for not doing a search first? Most of her questions, if not all, can be answered by a simple search.

Could it be that she is a young lady with an attractive avatar))
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i think she is the first one to actually read the manual too
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Or a 60 year old pervert who likes the name Tiffany?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  15.    #15  
    Thanks guys. I'm going to look at the chatter site tonight.

Just bought a memory card for my new, shiny phone...but I got a "Multimedia" card and a friend said that it's not very fast compared to SD card but I will use it until I feel it's really slowing me down.. 55 dollars for 256Meg...

Tried to find a case and cradle as well but no-luck. Will look later this week.

Oh and yes I did read the manual - actually RE-reading it tonight as I can't figure out how to change some keys to run certain applications. I'm very stubborn that way

Thanks again, happy I found this site.

Tiff
    Cute, yes. Good shopper, no.

Tiff you got taken on the mmc card, sorry to say. You can get a 1gb SD for about 60-70 if you look around.

Glad you like your new toy and we certainly appreciate your avatar, even if it's not you.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Not touching this with a 10 foot pole... But I wondered the same thing... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Just an oberservation....why hasn't anyone flamed her for not doing a search first? Most of her questions, if not all, can be answered by a simple search.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    Not touching this with a 10 foot pole... But I wondered the same thing... lol
    Well... I wouldn't expect to see any flames your way either

My god! Thats an amazing smile
    Last edited by sxtg; 01/17/2005 at 12:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    she isn't the only one, but they all seem to HOT!!!!!!

Yeah, last night I saw some chick pull one out, last night in the bar I was in, Chad's on Big Bear Mountain, it was a great ice breaker. (snow...ice get it)
    The responses have been amazing. Remind me to change my avatar!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast