1.    #1  
    Has anyone any advice about car kits for the Treo 650 ?

I'm looking at buying a 650, but while there appears to be a good car kit for the 600, the 650 seems to be somewhat lacking. It's strange, given that the multiconnector pinouts for the 600 and 650 are (as far as I have been able to tell) compatible, that P1 have not yet released one.

So far the only thing I have been able to turn up is the Seidio G2500 which looks pretty good and has most of the features I want. However, when I emailed and asked they said that it was only available in the US (I'm in Australia) and despite my asking could not name any distributors in Australia.

I'm not interested in the universal clip-on holders with a separate charger - I want something that I can neatly wire in and was designed to hold this Treo in nicely.

Has anyone found anything else they can recommend ? I'm looking for something that:

• Permanently wired in (not using cigarette lighter)
    • Holds the Treo securely
    • Has the serial connector passed through for GPS/other device
    • Charges the Treo when in cradle
    • Supports external antenna (unlike G2500)

Thanks,

Sean
    The connectors on the the 600 and 650 are completely and utterly unlike each other.

Seidio are the only ones who have anything, and the only one they have is the G2100M except without the built-in mic and without the serial or any kind of data connection.

I basically just paid $90 for a $15 car power cord and a $15 pda mount kit.
    And another $90 for a gps unit that would be worth $90 IF I could use it but since there is no way to use it it's worth $0. (it's their own unit with an undocumented rj11 plug that only fits the cradle, no other kind of adapter cable to plug in directly without the cradle or anything)

I am Extremely Not Happy.
    Last edited by KEYofR; 01/16/2005 at 12:13 AM.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Seidio has just launched three car kits for Treo 650

http://www.seidioonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=417

I viewed this earlier, but they must be doing maintenance coz now when I tried the link it said "access denied." Not good for business, Seidio
    Link working for me.

What about a unit that includes radio mute?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Well, depending on how you hook them up to your car stereo any audio source will mute the radio when it sends its own audio. This is true of GPS units, HF car kits, and other devices.

If it is hooked up through the auxiliary input, cassette adaptor, or FM modulator it will have its own channel and you can either listen to it or to your car stereo by pushing the source selection on your CD Radio.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR
    The connectors on the the 600 and 650 are completely and utterly unlike each other.

Seidio are the only ones who have anything, and the only one they have is the G2100M except without the built-in mic and without the serial or any kind of data connection.

I basically just paid $90 for a $15 car power cord and a $15 pda mount kit.
    And another $90 for a gps unit that would be worth $90 IF I could use it but since there is no way to use it it's worth $0. (it's their own unit with an undocumented rj11 plug that only fits the cradle, no other kind of adapter cable to plug in directly without the cradle or anything)

I am Extremely Not Happy.
    As far as the connector - you are correct (my opps - I've been googling a bit too much). As far as the GPS unit, maybe I can be of some assistance.

According to my reading of the Seidio web site, the G2100M is capable of interfacing with the Seidio SGR-300 GPS unit. Now, the Seidio G2500 is also capable of connecting to the SGR-300, and there are details at http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...uctCode=B7AG25 that show the pinouts of the connector on the G2500.

Assuming that these guys are being smart, then if the GPS units are interchangeable then maybe the connectors on the cradles are compatible. If the connector your are interested in is a 4 pin connector, then you may be able to interface your GPS unit. I stumbled across a beta draft palmOne PDF on the net that shows the pinouts of the multiconnector, and essentially you should have at the GPS port a tx/rx RS-232 connector (ie no handshaking) and a power connection.

The Treo 650/Tungsten T5 can supply 3.3Vdc at 30mA (not much) so hopefully the cradle supplies more current. I'd connect up an osciloscope to confirm the RS232 TX levels and logic state, and build the necessary voltage level converted to interface the GPS unit you have to it.

The details on the Seidio site mention that it uses the SiRFstarII chipset in the GPS unit - according to Google this unit operates on 3.15 to 5.5Vdc and draws a peak current of 65mA - so this would indicate that power is sourced from the vehicle. I'd confirm by wiring up a voltmeter and with the Treo in cradle discinnect the power lead from the cradle to the car - if power goes then you should have a fair degree of latitude with regards to the amount of current you can draw.

Sean
  7.    #7  
    There's a kit at http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...=CK7AG21HTR650 that may be useful. It has a line out port in the cradle that looks promising.

Unfortunately its 'Available soon'.

Has anyone seen anything from anyone other than Seidio ?
    Quote Originally Posted by seantech
    As far as the connector - you are correct (my opps - I've been googling a bit too much). As far as the GPS unit, maybe I can be of some assistance.

According to my reading of the Seidio web site, the G2100M is capable of interfacing with the Seidio SGR-300 GPS unit. Now, the Seidio G2500 is also capable of connecting to the SGR-300, and there are details at http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...uctCode=B7AG25 that show the pinouts of the connector on the G2500.

Assuming that these guys are being smart, then if the GPS units are interchangeable then maybe the connectors on the cradles are compatible. If the connector your are interested in is a 4 pin connector, then you may be able to interface your GPS unit. I stumbled across a beta draft palmOne PDF on the net that shows the pinouts of the multiconnector, and essentially you should have at the GPS port a tx/rx RS-232 connector (ie no handshaking) and a power connection.

The Treo 650/Tungsten T5 can supply 3.3Vdc at 30mA (not much) so hopefully the cradle supplies more current. I'd connect up an osciloscope to confirm the RS232 TX levels and logic state, and build the necessary voltage level converted to interface the GPS unit you have to it.

The details on the Seidio site mention that it uses the SiRFstarII chipset in the GPS unit - according to Google this unit operates on 3.15 to 5.5Vdc and draws a peak current of 65mA - so this would indicate that power is sourced from the vehicle. I'd confirm by wiring up a voltmeter and with the Treo in cradle discinnect the power lead from the cradle to the car - if power goes then you should have a fair degree of latitude with regards to the amount of current you can draw.

Sean
    Hi Sean,

"
    Assuming that these guys are being smart, then if the GPS units are interchangeable then maybe the connectors on the cradles are compatible. If the connector your are interested in is a 4 pin connector, then you may be able to interface your GPS unit. I stumbled across a beta draft palmOne PDF on the net that shows the pinouts of the multiconnector, and essentially you should have at the GPS port a tx/rx RS-232 connector (ie no handshaking) and a power connection. "

Can you give me the link for the Palmone PDF on the net for pinouts of multiconnectors, I want to make a cable so I can use my current wired receiver.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Well, depending on how you hook them up to your car stereo any audio source will mute the radio when it sends its own audio. This is true of GPS units, HF car kits, and other devices.

If it is hooked up through the auxiliary input, cassette adaptor, or FM modulator it will have its own channel and you can either listen to it or to your car stereo by pushing the source selection on your CD Radio.
    That's not what I'm talking about. A lot of kits out there have a radio mute output (and there is a matching input on most stereos these days) that automatically mutes the stereo when an incoming call rings or when an outgoing call is initiated. I see no such output on the Seidio. Raytell sells it as a seperate module.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com

Sean
    I have a G2100M, and I have a SGR-300
    The cradle is supplying the power to the GPS fine.

What's not working is the serial connection.
    There is simply no wires of connected to any of the data pins in the cradle.
    The sgr-300 has a 6 conductor rj11 plug with a wire on every pin.
    The cradle rj11 jack only has 4 pins actually installed.
    Two of them are supplying power and ground no problem.
    That leaves only the other 2 for tx and rx and I guess the signal ground for the serial is shared with the (-) power wire?

There is a very obvious wire connect header on the circuit board that no only has plainly visible traces going to the rj11 jack, and they test out with an ohmmeter, they are even labled TX & RX.

So I connected those points to what I think are the appropriate points on on the cradles data connector going by these directions for making a treo650 serial cable:
    http://www.shadowmite.com/650serial.html

Then swapped polarity when it didn't work. Still didn't work.
    I just realised today though that I didn't bring a signal ground wire over to the treo, only tx and rx. I never heard of serial working with less than 3 wires

It could be a lot of things.
    the treo puts out a 3.3 volt serial signal. The sgr-300 claims it can use a serial signal ranging from TTL to RS232, to me that says 5v to 12v. Maybe I need to put an op-amp in there to translate the treo's 3v signal to 5v.
    Maybe connecting the signal ground wire will be enough.

There is a choice in mapopolis's gps settings that says "serial" and another for "treo serial" I'll ask them to explain that, maybe I need to use other pins than what I'm using, or maybe that choice has to do with all the earlier treo's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Code:
    there are details at http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...uctCode=B7AG25 that show the pinouts of the connector on the G2500.
    Nice find. Thanks. I sort of determined that by process of elimination once I opend the case on the cradle, but this confirms that I can ignore the 2 outermost pins on the SGR-300 plug. There ARE all 6 pins in the plug, and there ARE conductors going to all 6, which had me half worried but this clears that up.

Well I tried that much already. I can't beleive I don't at least need a signal ground wire. Maybe all it needs to be is a jumper from the neighboring power connector on the treo side of the connection and the gps side is already taken care of.
    Code:
  12.    #12  
    Hi,

Well - I've seen better pictures, but I think I have the gist of your message.

You will need a ground wire - I thought it was a bit too obvious to mention (my oops).

From the documentation, the Serial interface is provided by pins 10 and 11 at a 3.3V logic level with no dedicated hardware flow control pins. Pin 10 transmits from the handheld, and Pin 11 receives into the handheld. There are several ground 'style' connectors on the multiconnector - however the digital ground is on pin 8 - this appears to be used by both the serial and USB interfaces. There is a separate ground for the cable shield, DC charge , analog ground, etc that I would avoid (they probably did all this for a reason).

If I was doing this on my Treo (still waiting for the 650 in Australia) I would build a pair of opto-sisolators in the cradle and not directly wire the GPS into the handheld - and I'd take the power from the DC charging rail on pin 1.

Sean

Check the palmone.pdf file (the link is in this thread) - it's got heaps of juicy stuff and was the deciding factor for me on the Treo.
    I know, that was dopy, but I added the ground wire the same night and tried again.
    Still no go.

The pictures suck because neither my Casio exilim esx-3 nor my treo650 takes close up shots worth spit. The 650 is slightly better so thats what those are.

But... seeing some threads here and elsewhere about good gps receivers taking 10 seconds to "get a lock" and junky ones taking 45, maybe the sgr-300 is in the junky class and maybe I had it wired up correctly a few times along the way but didn't happen to wait long enough for it.

Hmm... I'm not using pins 10 or 11 no matter which way I count from, even including the power pins. Unlike mine, the pictures on shadowmites page are pretty clear. It's a little tough to resolve some pins because of the angle of the shot but I thought there was enough info in the pic to deduce the parts that were ambiguous. Oh well.

I'll try and find that pdf which I've never seen and you didn't provide a link to.

You're right about the optoisolator too. There is plenty of room.
    Now that I'm in there, I wish I could find a female mini-usb 2.0 jack. There is no reason not to provide a connection for the usb pins. I don't particularly have a use for it but what the heck.
    Code: