1.    #1  
    I had a treo 600 a few months ago with cingular and found it to be slow, can anyone tell me how this edge works? and what the speed will be thanx guys.
    I just tried the CNet speed test...it must be wrong...it did it twice with these results:

2156kbps first try
    513kbps second try

NO WAY! Not with Cingular on the T600, just no way that can be correct. The first try was almost as fast as my desktop road runner results. Something has to be wrong with this test.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    I had a treo 600 a few months ago with cingular and found it to be slow, can anyone tell me how this edge works? and what the speed will be thanx guys.
    You were using GPRS on your Treo 600. GPRS has a theoretical maximum bitrate of 115 kbps, with typical rates falling around 20-40 kbps (roughly 56k modem rates).

EDGE has a theoretical maximum of 384 kbps, with typical rates falling around 100-140 kbps. So it *should* be roughly 2x or 3x the speed you see on GPRS.

Sprint is using 1xRTT over CDMA, I believe, which has a theoretical maximum of 153 kbps, with typical rates around 60-80 kbps.

Of course, all of this is dependent on coverage in your area, how you're connecting (tethering through Bluetooth from your laptop, browsing direct on the phone, etc.), and network conditions at the time. But you should definitely see a marked improvement in speed with EDGE over GPRS. I've been trying out a Sprint Treo 650, and 1xRTT is noticeably faster than GPRS (as expected), so EDGE should be at least as fast, if not faster, assuming Cingular's network is as good in my area.
    I tested this w/ my Sprint 650 and got 85.2 Kbps. Thats compared to 1083.4 Kbps on my DSL connection. Still quite a bit faster than dialup though. I only get 2 bars in my home office. It's probably noticably faster with 4 or 5 bars.
    It'll vary pretty widely, not just because of signal strength. Local network usage, various other error conditions, etc. For example, I'm sending this over Sprint using my 650 via Bluetooth, I have maximum signal according to the phone, but I get 40-45 kbps on speed tests. Could be because of the Bluetooth (errors/latency introduced), or that I'm in an urban area that probably has heavy Sprint usage, or the phase of the moon, or... But it's still very usable to browse the web and do email, much more so than GPRS, which is really good for email, but a bit painful for anything else. EDGE should be as good if not better.