Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I recently received & installed the Seidio G2500 car kit for my Treo 650. Overall, I’m pleased with the way it functions and the way it looks after the install was finished. It’s not perfect, but it works as advertised, is reasonably priced and is (to my knowledge) the only game in town unless you go Bluetooth.

    What’s in the box:
    The cradle itself
    Cigarette lighter adapter
    External microphone
    8” gooseneck suction mount
    Air vent mount
    Swivel adapter that can be used with either mount
    Headset with earbud & microphone

    Fit & Finish:
    I used Seidio’s G2100 with my Treo 600 before upgrading to the T650 and the build quality appears to have gone up. The G2500 feels sturdier than the G2100 did. The dark grey color of the cradle doesn’t precisely match that of the T650, but it doesn’t clash horribly either. The fit of the T650 into the cradle is tight, thanks to the new connector style. I’ve gotta push the T650 harder than I really want to for proper seating – here’s to hoping it’ll loosen up over time. There’s not much room at all around the T650 once it’s seated into the cradle, so the use of E-Grips or form-fit cases while in the cradle appears to be out.

    Installation:
    To their credit, Seidio has included several options for mounting the G2500. The suction cup is surprisingly strong & would’ve likely worked, but would’ve made for a messier installation than I was looking for. The air vent mount seems workable enough, but doesn’t appear to be durable enough for my taste. In the end, I went with the ProClip [http://www.proclipusa.com] mount & affixed it to my dashboard, then attached the G2500 to the ProClip mount. If, like me, you’re a fanatic for a clean install – you’ll need to plan carefully to prevent a snarl of cables. This is probably my biggest gripe about the G2500: the mic cable comes off one side, the audio cable comes off the top & the power cable comes off the other side – making cable management difficult.

    Power:
    The G2500 came with a cigarette lighter adapter that will suit most needs. I went ahead & got the hardwire cable ($10 extra IIRC). One word of caution here: if you’re planning on taking the audio from the Treo to your car stereo, you’ll need to power the G2500 from the same circuit as your stereo. Otherwise, you’re entering prime ground loop territory that even an isolator likely won’t solve.

    Sound:
    I was pleasantly surprised with how well the G2500 performs here. My truck is a diesel – unfortunately, it’s not one of the newer “quieter” diesels. Plainly put, it’s frikkin’ loud. Combine engine noise with the omnipresent whine of all-terrain tires & you get the idea. The G2500 includes a built-in speaker that, to my amazement, can actually be heard & understood over all the racket. The built-in speaker isn’t of sufficient quality for tunes (even to my tin ear), but is more than sufficient for phone calls. I suppose the supplied directional mic works well enough, since no one I’ve spoken to since I’ve been using the cradle has complained. The cradle has an audio out that you can, I suppose, plug an FM transmitter or earphones into. I plugged this into an adapter that I got from RCAInput [http://www.rcainput.com] that plugs into my factory stereo’s CD changer port.

    Photos of the finished install are attached.

    Update: Just received my e-grips for the T650 & can confirm that the Treo will not fit in the G2500 cradle with e-grips installed - You'll need to trim the side & wrap-around pieces just above the "StuffBak" cutout on the back of the e-grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tdhood; 01/18/2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Additional Information
  2.    #2  
    Bump - Updated with e-grips compatibility information.
  3. #3  
    Awesome, this is just what I was looking for. Sucks about the cabling issues (I'm anal about that as well.)

    Have you used it w/ a GPS yet? What do they mean by BT ready? Seems to me if you have to use a BT GPS, the cradle will have nothing to do w/ the connection....am I missing something here?

    Were you able to use radio mute (sounds like a no since you used the CD changer input, but gotta ask.)
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    I recently received & installed the Seidio G2500 car kit for my Treo 650. Overall, I’m pleased with the way it functions and the way it looks after the install was finished. It’s not perfect, but it works as advertised, is reasonably priced and is (to my knowledge) the only game in town unless you go Bluetooth.

    What’s in the box:
    The cradle itself
    Cigarette lighter adapter
    External microphone
    8” gooseneck suction mount
    Air vent mount
    Swivel adapter that can be used with either mount
    Headset with earbud & microphone

    Fit & Finish:
    I used Seidio’s G2100 with my Treo 600 before upgrading to the T650 and the build quality appears to have gone up. The G2500 feels sturdier than the G2100 did. The dark grey color of the cradle doesn’t precisely match that of the T650, but it doesn’t clash horribly either. The fit of the T650 into the cradle is tight, thanks to the new connector style. I’ve gotta push the T650 harder than I really want to for proper seating – here’s to hoping it’ll loosen up over time. There’s not much room at all around the T650 once it’s seated into the cradle, so the use of E-Grips or form-fit cases while in the cradle appears to be out.

    Installation:
    To their credit, Seidio has included several options for mounting the G2500. The suction cup is surprisingly strong & would’ve likely worked, but would’ve made for a messier installation than I was looking for. The air vent mount seems workable enough, but doesn’t appear to be durable enough for my taste. In the end, I went with the ProClip [http://www.proclipusa.com] mount & affixed it to my dashboard, then attached the G2500 to the ProClip mount. If, like me, you’re a fanatic for a clean install – you’ll need to plan carefully to prevent a snarl of cables. This is probably my biggest gripe about the G2500: the mic cable comes off one side, the audio cable comes off the top & the power cable comes off the other side – making cable management difficult.

    Power:
    The G2500 came with a cigarette lighter adapter that will suit most needs. I went ahead & got the hardwire cable ($10 extra IIRC). One word of caution here: if you’re planning on taking the audio from the Treo to your car stereo, you’ll need to power the G2500 from the same circuit as your stereo. Otherwise, you’re entering prime ground loop territory that even an isolator likely won’t solve.

    Sound:
    I was pleasantly surprised with how well the G2500 performs here. My truck is a diesel – unfortunately, it’s not one of the newer “quieter” diesels. Plainly put, it’s frikkin’ loud. Combine engine noise with the omnipresent whine of all-terrain tires & you get the idea. The G2500 includes a built-in speaker that, to my amazement, can actually be heard & understood over all the racket. The built-in speaker isn’t of sufficient quality for tunes (even to my tin ear), but is more than sufficient for phone calls. I suppose the supplied directional mic works well enough, since no one I’ve spoken to since I’ve been using the cradle has complained. The cradle has an audio out that you can, I suppose, plug an FM transmitter or earphones into. I plugged this into an adapter that I got from RCAInput [http://www.rcainput.com] that plugs into my factory stereo’s CD changer port.

    Photos of the finished install are attached.

    Update: Just received my e-grips for the T650 & can confirm that the Treo will not fit in the G2500 cradle with e-grips installed - You'll need to trim the side & wrap-around pieces just above the "StuffBak" cutout on the back of the e-grips.
    Great write up, thank you. Go Ford 4X4!!!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Great write up, thank you. Go Ford 4X4!!!
    Yes it was, but I didn't need to read it twice.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Have you used it w/ a GPS yet? What do they mean by BT ready? Seems to me if you have to use a BT GPS, the cradle will have nothing to do w/ the connection....am I missing something here?

    Were you able to use radio mute (sounds like a no since you used the CD changer input, but gotta ask.)
    I haven't used the kit with a GPS - I don't have one & to be honest, there are other gadgets higher up on my "gotta have it" list. By "Bluetooth Ready", they mean that on this iteration of the cradle, the hardwire GPS connection has been disabled. In fact, there's a little square of black plastic glued over the RJ45 (?) connector atop the unit.

    To answer your second question, I haven't connected to the radio mute. For me, it's a moot point, since I'm listening to Audible books throught the truck's stereo most of the time I'm driving.

    In the rare event I'm listening to the radio & a call comes in, I simply switch the stereo over to the cd changer & press the answer button.
  7. #7  
    Ok, so BT ready means absolutely nothing except they did not include a serial connection for the GPS. Misleading and dumb if you ask me. Why do they even mention it?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Ok, so BT ready means absolutely nothing except they did not include a serial connection for the GPS. Misleading and dumb if you ask me. Why do they even mention it?
    It's marketing spin, pure & simple. Warning: disgusting anecdote follows - Reminds me of an extremely funny old Mad TV sketch advertising "Spishak Fat Free Spread - Now with 10% Less Anal Leakage!"

    You don't *really* expect their marketing literature to paint this in a bad light, do you?

    tdh
  9. #9  
    So if I understand you correctly, if you have the audio out jack sent to your CD player, and your are listening to the radio, you can still here the phone ring? I imagine that you don't hear it ring through your stereo, but via the phone or the car-kit speaker itself. Is that correct? This would be a great feature for me. If I decide to use the FM transmitter and forget to turn the stereo on, I don't want to miss a call.
  10. #10  
    I'm thinking more along the lines of driving down the street, radio blaring my fav tunes, phone rings......and nothing....cuz I can't hear the stupid thing. This is why I want radio mute.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  11. #11  
    with my G2100M (which has no built in speaker like the G2500M remember) and with the simple adapter plug before that, when the phone rings, the sound from the phone comes out the stereo.

    That's great except right when it's ringing. The ring is way louder than the books and so if you have the volume up enough to make it easy to hear the book over the road, then the ring is enough to shock you off the road. Ok not that bad but one problem you will not have is not hearing the ring.

    I think it might behave differently on different stereos though due to little differences in input line impedance. I can tell you that on the 2100 the audio connections don't ever touch the circuit board, they just go right from the treo to the external jacks, so there is no magic going on there. Presumably the 2500 does at least a little more.

    The mic on the treo is covered up by the cradle, but they provide a mic so yer good there.

    I haven't had occasion to test how well that mic work yet as I'm still hacking on my 2100 so it's not useable right now.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    So if I understand you correctly, if you have the audio out jack sent to your CD player, and your are listening to the radio, you can still here the phone ring? I imagine that you don't hear it ring through your stereo, but via the phone or the car-kit speaker itself. Is that correct? This would be a great feature for me. If I decide to use the FM transmitter and forget to turn the stereo on, I don't want to miss a call.
    You are correct - when the T650 phone rings, the sound comes from the Treo speaker & not out the headset jack. Since the headset jack is piped into the stereo, it doesn't matter what I'm listening to - I'll hear my ringer through the T650's internal speaker if I haven't forgotten to turn the master volume switch on. Please note that the T650 does not ring through the G2500's speaker.

    This is due to a change in the Treo itself - as the T600 would ring through the headset jack if one was present. I seem to recall reading a rationale for this behavior - people were tired of being scared witless by rings through the headset, so Palm decided to send ringtones through the speaker, regardless of headset status.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYofR
    That's great except right when it's ringing. The ring is way louder than the books and so if you have the volume up enough to make it easy to hear the book over the road, then the ring is enough to shock you off the road. Ok not that bad but one problem you will not have is not hearing the ring.
    Are you using the T600 or T650?
  14. #14  
    I have installed the G2500 in my VW GTI and am not sorted out yet on the microphone/headset cabling. I use the 14" suction cup which lets me place the cradle right at the edge of the dash above the center vents. I am trying to use a wired headset, and with both the included one and my old headset I can hear the other person, but they cannot hear me. I've tried several things and double-checked the plugs to ensure they were fully plugged in. I wonder if I've missed a step... Time for a call to tech support, I might have a bad cradle. I'll take some pictures, but basically the wiring runs straight down a convenient part of the dash to the lighter plug--I can't imagine a more presentable placement.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wardak
    I have installed the G2500 in my VW GTI and am not sorted out yet on the microphone/headset cabling. I use the 14" suction cup which lets me place the cradle right at the edge of the dash above the center vents. I am trying to use a wired headset, and with both the included one and my old headset I can hear the other person, but they cannot hear me. I've tried several things and double-checked the plugs to ensure they were fully plugged in. I wonder if I've missed a step... Time for a call to tech support, I might have a bad cradle. I'll take some pictures, but basically the wiring runs straight down a convenient part of the dash to the lighter plug--I can't imagine a more presentable placement.
    Hi,

    For G2500, Please use the included external microphone. The headset can only be used to listen. The microphone on the headset will not work.

    Seidio
  16. #16  
    Can anyone confirm, if G2100M uses earphone/mic jack on Treo 650??

    Judging from pics on seidio site, it doesn't look like it does

    http://www.seidioonline.com/PhotoGal...=CK8AG21MTR650

    check the third pic.

    So my question is then, if u have Treo in the craddle and it rings, does pushing answer button let u use Treos own mic and loudspeaker, without actually pulling Treo out of the craddle??

Posting Permissions