1.    #1  
    As a third generation phone (300->600->650) this shouldn't have happened, but it did...

Am I off base here? Can you help me resolve these issues? Thanks.

http://www.barhydt.net/2005/01/signi...-with-treo-650
    All of your so-very-significant gripes have been discussed exhaustively throughout this and other forums.

I would advise only one thing: patience.

While you're dialing, so that you don't hang up on your correspondent; while you're shelling out for headsets, so that you don't waste your money; while you're exploring a new mail client, so that you don't corrupt important mail; while you're syncing or playing MP3's or buying Pocket Tunes, while you're waiting on a page to load so you can submit a form, and while you're waiting for the next bleeding-edge device to arrive, have a little patience. Pay attention to the world around you for a moment or two while your treo does its best to be helpful as quickly as it can. Lift up your head and show everyone your face instead of your bare scalp. Smile, even. Relax.

Otherwise, everyone will say, "There goes that man who tore out his hair because not even his $600 cell phone could make him happy. He has the world in his hands, yet the bum with the bottle is getting more out of life for his money. How sad!"

At the very least, READ BEFORE YOU POST. All your questions have already been answered, and all your issues have been beaten to a sticky, fecal pulp -- with the exception of what I'm guessing to be your most significant issue. For that, you'll probably need help in real life.
    bjb,
    Thx for a "clinical" summary of the 650's shortcomings. Most have all been discussed here and people have been very creative about finding solutions to many of the 650's limitations.

To bad the the moderators have not done as good of a job removing posting privileges of some of the idiots that hang here and criticize, denigrate or make fun of everyone else. It says something about them and the moderators who allow it.
    Last edited by SofTTware; 01/15/2005 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thornrag
    All of your so-very-significant gripes have been discussed exhaustively throughout this and other forums.

I would advise only one thing: patience.
    This is correct. Patience is about the only thing you can do for now. There are some work-arounds for a few of the issues and you could probably get your answers in about 10-minutes of searching this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by thornrag
    -- with the exception of what I'm guessing to be your most significant issue. For that, you'll probably need help in real life.
    I agree that this part of the post is inappropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by beejaybee
    As a third generation phone (300->600->650) this shouldn't have happened, but it did...

Am I off base here? Can you help me resolve these issues? Thanks.

http://www.barhydt.net/2005/01/signi...-with-treo-650
    Wow, I bet you didn't know you signed up for a philosophy lesson when you posted this, did you? Heh heh.

In my opinion, no, you are definitely not off base and I agree with 90% of the points you touch on in your post, I think your breakdown of the pros and cons is pretty reasonable. I would just like to correct you on one thing: the 650 is actually $600 without a contract, not $500. And yeah, I would blame the 650's problems with iSync partly on Apple, let's just say they are not the nicest kids on the block to play with.

In fact, I would add a lot more points to your breakdown, but apparently, like you, I am crazy and sadder than a drunk homeless person for expecting quality from an expensive high end device. I should be patient, lift my head and smile when a poorly designed product stumbles around its own inadequacies caused by a company's lack of real world testing and respect for its customers. I'll try to remember that next time.

In the meantime, do search and read these forums, there's a lot of information coming from people expriencing the same issues as you and me. There are quite a few very inventive users and even some downright heroic developers in these forums doing some outstanding work to work around and fix PalmOne's potholes. I'm sure you know some of them: Shadowmite, Jeff Gibson, Shimon, Arognlie, etc... but most of your issues can't be fixed by entities other than PalmOne, and we don't know when or if they're ever going to be fixed.

For now, I'm going to do my part to make sure PalmOne doesn't forget that they disappointed a lot of us and that they should try to fix these problems.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    While I am very happy with my 650, I wonder how the major shortcomings of the device were not seen early.

I mean, any 20 year old engineer making $ 30K a year would have detected 90% of the problems in this forum in 1 hour!

So the question is what is Palm One doing to address design quality?
    This was the difference between Palm and Handspring... IMHO!
    The group that left Palm and created Handspring were much more in touch with the user base and quick to respond to user demands. Something I doubt we'll ever see now that Handspring has been brought back into the mess that is PalmOne.