1.    #1  
    Hey,

Has anyone written any of thier own views for their HSVisor calculator?

I would like to write one to do astronomical conversions. Such as Light Years to Parsecs to AUs to Miles or Kilometers.

Also how can I add a Random number function. Like a program to generate random lottery numbers.

Or better yet, where is the documentaion so I can figure these out on my own.

Thanks,

Tim.
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000865.html

there's a link in this thread to the guy who developed the calculator and i went to the site about a month ago and copy/pasted the instructions on my computer at home. i can't get onto the site right now, but i'll post the instructions when i get home tonight...
    When I first got my VDX, I played around with the conversions and made some for LY, etc.

Export one of your views (ie Length.)
    Go to Notepad and edit Calculator Length.
    Add the following wherever you want your button: lyr Conv 0 1.056970721911/-13
    Note that there is a tab after the name and 2 spaces inbetween the other numbers.
    Go back into Calculator and import it back in.

One of these days I'm gonna do an article on this

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    I apologize for the long post...but the website is nolonger working for some reason and i had a copy on my hard drive:

Programming & Customization
    There are two ways you can extend or customize Parens to suit your needs. You can install one or more Parens plugin modules into your PalmPilot, each of which will add one new Parens mode to the built-in default modes. Or you can write Parens mode definition memos in MemoPad and import them into Parens to add or update Parens modes.
    Parens Plugin Modules
    The great thing about plugin modules is that they allow all kinds of specialized niche buttons to be made available to those who need them, without bloating the program size for those who don't. I've received a lot of suggestions and requests in the past for options that I just didn't think would be popular or widely used enough to justify their added code; now they're feasible. Over time I hope to build up a good collection of custom modes for you to select from.
    Please see the Parens Plugin Info Page for the complete collection of all publicly available Parens plugins currently known to me. There's not much (if anything) there yet, but I expect the list to grow quickly. Download any of them that interest you, and install them into your PalmPilot using the Install tool as for a regular Palm OS program. Parens will automatically add the new mode(s) to its list. You can use the About Plugins menu command in the Parens Options menu to see what plugin modules are currently installed, and to read any About text provided by each plugin. Plugin modules can be deleted using the same built-in Palm OS tools as you would use to delete a regular program (Memory app for Palm OS 2 or Applications menu for Palm OS 3+). They can also be beamed to other Parens users, again using the same commands as for regular programs. Palm OS 1 users: Unfortunately, Palm OS 1 doesn't allow shared libraries to use double precision math, so Parens plugins are ignored under OS 1.
    Parens plugin modules can be easily created by anyone with a PalmOS C compiler, often in just a few minutes. Full source code is available at the info page for a simple example plugin that demonstrates the Parens plugin interface. Depending on what you want your new keys to do, they may require as little as three or four lines of C code each. For more complex needs, your keys can also pop up full-blown Palm OS forms and use the complete Palm graphical user interface. You can draw your own artwork bitmap for the keys, or supply text label strings and let Parens draw them for you. If possible, I'd appreciate a copy (or a URL address) of any new plugins you write, for inclusion in my plugin archive for use by other Parens users.
    If you don't have the tools or background to create a plugin module yourself, but you know exactly what you want it to do, you can submit an RFP (Request For Plugin) to me by email and I'll see if I can create it for you. Requests will be handled when and if I have the free time available, with the easiest and most completely described requests being handled first. Any math formulas, logic or algorithms your keys will require should be completely and totally spelled out; don't assume that I know anything about the subject in question, no matter how simple you think it is. Easy and/or completely detailed requests should be handled within a few days. Requests that are not fully and completely detailed will tend to get put off until I have lots of free time to think about them and correspond with you (i.e.: don't hold your breath). A request that just says "please add linear regression" will go to the bottom of the pile, but one that says "Button 1, "sqrt": x=sqrt(x). Button 2..." will be implemented quickly. Also, requests from registered users will naturally take precedence over those from unregistered users.
    I'm writing these custom plugins as a free service to my users (and to help expand the plugin collection), but unfortunately I have too much stuff to work on and lots of email to answer, and not enough free time to spend on it, so please be patient.
    Parens Mode Definition Memos
    Currently, only units conversion modes can be defined or modified using definition memos. Anything else will need to be implemented as a plugin module (see above). However, I do intend to expand this feature in the future to include more powerful customization options, so I'll try to keep this discussion general.
    Parens is programmed through the use of its Program menu, which contains four commands:
    Export a Mode
    This command translates a user-defined Parens mode into a definition text memo in the built-in Memo Pad application, so that you can edit and re-import it, file it, email it, or beam it to another Parens user. The memo will be put into the "Parens" category if one exists (or can be created); otherwise, it will be "Unfiled". If a definition for this Parens mode already exists in the Memo Pad, you'll be given the option of replacing it or adding another definition as a separate memo.
    The first line of the memo will be "Parens <mode>", where <mode> is the name of the Parens mode which was exported (e.g. "Parens Weight"). This is followed by 12 lines of text, one for each of the 12 available mode-specific Parens keys. Each line of text describes a single Parens key in the following format, with each field separated from the next by tabs or spaces:
    Label KeyType KeyInfo
    Label is the 1 to 4 character label to be shown on top of the key, and can use the entire 7-bit lower-128 ASCII character set, plus (yen), (pounds), (euros), (degrees), (micro), (squared), (cubed), pi, sigma, delta, left arrow, and right arrow. The yen and pound characters can be entered using the PalmPilot's popup keyboard window. The other special characters are entered using a two-letter escape code: \e for euros, \d for degrees, \m for micro, \2 for squared, \3 for cubed, \p for pi, \s for sigma, \t for delta ("triangle"; \d was taken), \l for left arrow, or \r for right arrow.
    If the first word on the line is "Unused" instead of a key label, that key is left blank and disabled by Parens, and the rest of the line is ignored. Also, if you don't specify all 12 keys, the remaining keys will default to Unused.
    KeyType tells Parens what kind of key you're defining. Currently, this can only be "Conv", for units conversion.
    KeyInfo provides the information required to define the KeyType you've declared:

KeyType KeyInfo for that Type
    Conv UnitCategory ScaleFactor Offset InverseOf
    UnitCategory is an integer from 0-255 which groups the conversion keys together by compatible units. For example, if you had both weight and length units defined together in the same Parens mode, you wouldn't want to be able to convert from miles to kilograms. By assigning all the weight-related keys to category 0, and all the length-related keys to category 1, Parens will know which keys can be used with each other. If you aren't mixing incompatible unit types, just set this value to 0 for every key.
    ScaleFactor defines the relationships between compatible units. For each UnitCategory, pick a standard quantity. For each key within that UnitCategory, set the ScaleFactor to the number of those units in the standard quantity you've chosen. For example, for a set of weight units keys, you might decide to use a standard quantity of 1 kilogram. For each weight unit key, you would then specify the number of those units in 1 kilogram, e.g. 1000 grams or 0.001 metric tons. Note that the actual values used aren't important; only the ratio between the values. It doesn't matter if you say 1000 grams = 1 kilogram, or 1.234 grams = 0.001234 kilograms, so long as the ScaleFactor for grams is 1000 times larger than the ScaleFactor for kilograms. Normally, you'll set one of the keys in each UnitCategory to 1.0 and define the other keys relative to that one. Careful choice of the "standard quantity" can be important; it's more accurate (and easier) to define 1 inch = 2.54 cm than to say 1 cm = 0.393700787
    Yeah, what he said!
  7.    #7  
    Great,

Thanks alot everyone. I did try some of these things, but I'll keep working on it.

I'll post the file here when I get it done.

Tim.