1.    #1  
    I need a program that will allow me to actually edit *.txt and *.doc files. Any suggestions?
    You're talking about editing these files on the PC?????

On a PC, Notepad.exe can edit your .txt files and Wordpad.exe (if you have Win9X) can edit both .txt and .doc files. Microsoft Word can, of course, also edit both sets of files.

If perchance you're talking about .doc files that synced to the Visor, two of the more popular editors are SmartDoc and QED.

If you're talking about editing these on a Mac -- can't help you there.

3.    #3  
    I am refering to a program that will actually let me edit a *.doc/*.txt file while it is on the VDX. Then let me HotSync it to my PC. This would benefit my company in updating any documents that we would carry around.
    If you mean doc, as in Microsoft Word, then you are out of luck. It is a one-way street from the PC to the Visor. Just as well, as the formatting just doesn't carry over when you return to the PC. For text files, you do have some options; but, for two-way conversions, nothing terribly automated exists. At least not that I can recall.

For actually editing DOC files on your Visor, you should compare SmartDOC and QED. SmartDOC seems to be the most popular.

I find it easier to enter any changes in Memo Pad (I can copy what I want to edit from TealDoc or iSilo), sync, copy from Outlook notes, and paste into Word (with Revision Marks turned on). I'll admit that this is not the most elegent of solutions; but it does adhere to our SOP at work (which are very desktop centric).

To this point, I think that editing Word files with even a moderate amount of formatting is a losing proposition on the Visor. Even things like line numbers don't work correctly because of the Visor's small screen (a problem that is shared by the handheld CE devices).

For any developers, what we really need here are better two-way syncing with text files, support for revision marks, and a Visor friendly way of inserting comments.

[This message has been edited by yucca (edited 03-05-2000).]
    yucca,

what you need is a wireless dumb terminal to your desktop running PCAnywhere or some such. Never mind trying to fit the PC style bloat-ware on a Visor.

Or you could dig up an old copy of WordStar that ran on a 640K RAM, 4MHz, 360K FDD PC and convert to the Palm OS...
    No, ss@rr. That is not it, but thanks for your ideas anyway.

Remote windows desktop on the Visor won't cut it due to the vast differences in screen size between the two. You can't see enough of what you are doing; and it requires a live connection to the corp net, which, IMO, defeats the purpose of working unfettered with my Visor. Even if there were no display issues and if I had a wireless connection, it would be too expensive to work this way due to the amount of time that I spend on these activities. However, this might be just the ticket for others . . .

Let me try again. What I am looking for is a conduit that extracts the raw text from a Word file (and any comments, footnotes or endnotes), and preserves the original formatting when I re-sync with edits and additions (if Revision Marks are on, it should treat any changes as revisions). On the Visor side, I've a "what I'd ideally like" and a "what I'll settle for" list of features.

What I'd ideally like is an app that shows revisions on the Visor (lineout and new text), and it should show the existing revisions already in the originating Word file (bonus points if it can show who generated them). It should also allow me to insert comments (via a link), and it should allow me to view the comments of others and any footnotes or endnotes. The revisions and comments should be honored on resyncing with the PC. Yeah. It'd be nice to see paragraph formatting, but utimately it would be inefficient due to the screen limitations of the Visor. For example, hanging indents, bullet lists, tables and such would leave too much white space on the Visor (tables are particularly confusing); and they could always be added later (final polishing would have to be on the PC).

What I'd settle for is just the ability to make my changes (counting on the conduit to record the revisions), and a Visor app that supports comments (see above).

re: WordStar - - Haven't used it since my KayPro days. Did they eventually support smart revision marks and comment fields (not just custom footnotes)? It is still the most efficient wordprocessor that I ever used (with apologies to vi).
    Yucca:

You are looking for a lot more editing capability and formatting than I am. I am using Smartdoc, and have pulled documents into my VDX and have edited them and put them back on the PC. And for me it works just fine.

mrbudmann: I am not using, or interested in complex formatting. I want to take notes at a meeting, and transfer them back to my PC. I want to take some simple documents (no footnotes, or fancy font formats) and transfer them to the Visor for reading and editing, and bring them back.

I haven't done a lot of it so far, but SmartDoc and DocInOut work fine. I find the results good for my use.

Larry
    DocInOut? Whazzit?
    DocInOut is a program on that you install on your PC which works in the Windows Explorer shell so that when you right click on a .txt file the menu that originates has a function "convert to Palm doc" or something to that effect. it's a REALLY easy way of converting .txt files into .doc files quickly. And it works backwards too!!(.doc to .txt)

although i just noticed something...it's actually a .pdb file on your desktop. your visor (or the software on it) recognizes it as a .doc

Hoser_in_USA has it correct. SmartDoc only works in PalmOS to allow you to edit .doc files. BTW, these are not the same .doc files that Microsoft Word uses. Here are the steps in the process.

1. While in MS Word "Save As" your document as a .txt file.

2. Use DocInOut to convert this file to a .pdb file.

3. Import that file into your Visor. This is done the same way as installing an application.

4. Your Visor recognizes this as a .doc file and you can edit it.

5. When done editing, go to "info" and tell SmartDoc that you want to "Backup on HotSynch". This will transfer your file back to your PC.

6. Use DocInOut to convert the .pdb file back to a .txt file.

7. Open the file in Microsoft Word. Walaah!! you have an MS Word document that you have created or edited on your Visor.

BTW, I was forwarded a copy of DocInOut by the company that makes SmartDoc, and the link that is in the documentation no longer works. It is freeware, so if you email me, I will forward you a copy of the .zip file.

I also like to use DocInOut as a simple installer. Right click on the file you want to install, and it is ready to install at the next HotSynch. Very easy.

Good Luck, and I hope that this helps.

larry

[This message has been edited by Larry Chester (edited 03-06-2000).]
    Thanks, guys! That clears that up. I'm going to have to give SmartDoc another try.

FWIW, you can get slightly more automated with InstallBuddy. It installs a button in Word, and gives you the option to save the current Word file to DOC. On first saving a file this way, it gives you the option of always checking the source file for changes on syncing. Haven't been able to test if it is two way, as I use iSilo or TealDOC (and record edits in Memo Pad files).
    I've got PalmDoc installed on my computer. I haven't messed with it much, but it works as a macro in Word and puts a button on your word menu bar, and when you want to save a document to your palm you just click on the PalmDoc button and it puts the doc in the Palm Addon directory (you have to be careful the first time you use it to save to that directory as it will save to that directory without a prompt subsequently). Then you can hotsync, edit the doc on the Visor with SmartDoc. I just haven't worked with it enough to see how you get the documents back from the Visor to the PC.

Here is a great site which discusses lots of issues related to wordprocessing on the Palm OS:
    http://www.jimthompson.net/pilot/wordproc.htm

I found out about the PalmDoc app there. As well as lots more!! This site has about the best, most thorough discussion of issues like this that you're going to find.
    BTW, I am a BackupBuddy user, and I looked at InstallBuddy. The drawback for me is that InstallBuddy costs money..... DocInOut is free. And it works very efficiently, with good documentation, just as if it were a program for sale.

ggrozier, I thought that I saw that PalmDocs was a "for sale" product also. But your comment about the button on the word menu bar is news to me. I will have to take a look to see if the effort saved is worth the money.

and thanks for the hyperlink. I am still learning, and a document like you have found is very very helpful.

larry
    Larry,

On visiting "Palm Wordprocessing", be sure to hit the link to Jeff Kirvin's web site. While geared to professional writers, his article, Writing on Your Palm, is a must read. Because his site is both interesting and informative, I snag Jeff's weekly updates via iSiloWeb.
    Originally posted by Larry Chester:
    ggrozier, I thought that I saw that PalmDocs was a "for sale" product also. But your comment about the button on the word menu bar is news to me. I will have to take a look to see if the effort saved is worth the money.
    Well, the demo doesn't expire. What it does require is for the user to press a bunch of extra keystrokes in the demo version. It does include a button in the toolbar..

Anyways, it's all kind of moot for me until I buy a keyboard. It's too much of a pain editing documents using graffitti.

------------------
    Eugene Hsieh
    Editor, VisorCentral FAQ
    Come visit my homepage.
    Eug:

You might want to try something other than Graffitti. I am using Fitaly. Find it to be easier and much faster than Graffitti. I am "tapping" at about 20 wpm, and getting better. It is boring to practice, but that is the only way to get better. You can try:
    http://www.fitaly.com

Far better than graffiti, but not at the level of a keyboard.

larry
    Thanks Larry,

Actually, I've tried a couple of keyboard programs (qwerty, not fitaly) incl. the built-in one. I think I'm probably around 15-20 wpm, but like you said, it still ain't a real keyboard.

------------------
    Eugene Hsieh
    Editor, VisorCentral FAQ
    Come visit my homepage.

[This message has been edited by Eug (edited 03-08-2000).]
    Eug:

BTW, you might just want to look at the Fitaly website. Jean has some comparisons of speed using qwerty, graffitti and fitaly. It might give you a different view.

The only drawback is that you need to learn another keyboard. but just read the webpage, and you will see the logic of the design. (sorry that this got off track.)

larry