1.    #1  
    this would be amazing...and further the "background operation" feel of chatter...

Quote Originally Posted by papablanc
    I am a huge Chatter fan as well.

I have had the Treo for about 6 months, and I have been using Chatter the entire time. My Treo 600 (Verizon) seems to spend a lot of time trying to connect (or canceling trying to connect). There seems to be a lot of "fringe" areas in reception (especially for data) on the Verizon network (I am located in DC area).

Before I had a Treo, I had a blackberry. I love the Treo, but one of the greatest things about the Blackberry was that if it didn't sense a signal, it never froze up. It shows that the signal strength is weak and keeps trying, but that effort doesn't keep you from going to other apps or freeze the screen.

Often, my treo tries to connect - can't get a signal - cancels - and gets stuck in this process.

It seems like an issue of the way data works on the Verizon network, but is there anyway to address this from within Chatter? Someone early asked a related question and recommended that if the signal strength is very low that the treo be instructed to stop retrying....not sure that is possible or not...there just always seems to be pop-ups telling me it is searching, connecting, or cancelling.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Seems like an odd requirement to me - surely if there's a signal, you'd want it to connect? You'd only want it to not connect if there were no signal at all.
    I've been looking at this - there is an API that gets the signal strength from the radio. Problem is that I can't correlate it with the ability to transfer data properly unless there's no signal at all!

Marc
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsey
    Seems like an odd requirement to me - surely if there's a signal, you'd want it to connect? You'd only want it to not connect if there were no signal at all.
    the condition that is proposed would attempt to cope with signal "flakiness"...imagine a fringe CDMA reception area where the app is trying to operate online or synch and the signal "flakes" in and out...this condition would query the radio to make sure there is a strong enough signal to function...if not handshake attempts cease until...

and of course it's all in the background...

detroitkruk
    The problem is that I am in an area with no signal at all and I can't get out of the endless loop of 18.2. I don't know if this is 18.2 or just this same loop problem, but according to the above, if there is no signal at all, there should be no problem. Yet here I am with no signal and the loop becomes Chatter telling me there is no signal, which is just as bad a loop as telling me to connect. I know that's vague and confusing but it's late and I'm frustrated.
    mdavis - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Marc

p.s. Just kidding.
    Same to you, except Backupman saved me. I'm back to 18.0 (I liked 18.1 but didn't back it up so I only have 18.0) which gives me that very civilized choice of either connecting or not connecting. Just playing with us, are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I've been looking at this - there is an API that gets the signal strength from the radio. Problem is that I can't correlate it with the ability to transfer data properly unless there's no signal at all!
    Perhaps one way to deal with this is for Chatter to keep track of the signal strength over the last n seconds, and if the mean drops below a certain value it could warn of a low signal strength....

... just thinking out loud .....
    mdavis -

Get 18.3, wouldya?

Marc
    Well, I was thinking of that, but I thought it best to wait till you posted it.