Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Well I decided to try a little experiment. I made a few phone calls:

Florida - My Kids
    Maryland - My Mother
    New York - Work
    New York - A buddy

I reset the phone after each phone call to see if there was any difference. Each time, once I hit dial, I averaged 3 to 4 seconds before in went to the dialing screen. I then did the ##3282 and "updated provisioning" and tried the same test over again, this time without the resets. Each time resulted in a time of about 1 second before it went to the dialing screen. Interesting since the software was NOT updated. I checked before and after the provisioning update and it's still "Treo650-1.03-SPCS". So more than likely, all the provisioning update really does is refresh the settings in the system or something because nothing new was downloaded. The speed difference, I can only attribute to refreshing all of the settings. There's definately no update being downloaded.
    Ok, then one could theorize that the delay is caused by some setting or configuration in Vision (whether it's active or not.) Re-provisioning changes this configuration in some way. Guess I'll experiment as well.

Edit: I started experimenting, and found something that made a difference. Immediately I noticed when using the phone button to redial that I got differing response times. After several attempts, I noticed the BT icon changing. I then turned off BT and noticed my connect times increased greatly. However, there is still a long delay from the Contacts list. I haven't tried the download yet (and not sure if my phone did it on it's own or not.)
    Last edited by Geckotek; 01/15/2005 at 08:05 AM.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    HELP!

I tried the provisioning #3282, and this error popped up and now I can't connect to Vision:

""Error:67:Registration failure. Check your username and/or password and try again. If this problem persists, contact Sprint"
    I learned not to do as everyone else does. There's really no reason to update your vision profile unless you are prompted to by tech support. When someone comes on saying these things at random you really have to be careful; everyone that updated the vision profile has experienced error 67 which prohibits you from going on the web and tells you to check your username and password. You must then call sprint CS to correct the problem as there is no other way of correcting it.
    Im on the phone with them now .... I think you are absolutely right on your comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetheone
    <snip>everyone that updated the vision profile has experienced error 67<snip>
    Not true, where did you get this information?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Go into Prefs > Network and you can update your user name and password to match whatever you changed it to. It has a Locked icon at the bottom, but the Modify button doesn't prompt you for a password like the ##DATA screen does.

I was having the error 67 problem too, tried a lot of things before finally calling them, and I felt sooo stupid when I found out the settings were right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    All this does is change your Vision username on your phone if you have gone online and changed it or requested a technician to change it over the phone.
    Web Browsing on my 600 has always been very very slow, but tolerable. The last time I did any browsing with it has been several weeks.

I just now did the ##3282 thing and now my web browser is easily as fast as my computer. Wow!

That being said, I do not have a clue if the ##3282 did this or whether something has changed on the vision network since I last surfed the web.

Seriously, what used to take up to a minute to load now takes 10 seconds. There must have been something wrong with my phone before.

I never did the last firmware update from Palm. How do I tell what version I have and what is the latest. I bet it did the update when I did the ##3282.
  9.    #69  
    When in the phone screen, go to the menu and look at "Phone Info".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMooch
    When in the phone screen, go to the menu and look at "Phone Info".
    Got it. Thanks.

I see that it did not do the update as my software is 1.0 and I see at PalmOne that the latest version for sprint is 1.12. So that still leaves me wondering what changed to make my browsing experience so much better???

BTW, I never did the last update because of all the problems others had with it when it first came out and I was happy with my phone the way it was. Should I go ahead and do the update? Any cautions or suggestions with regard to doing the update?

Thanks,

John
    Interesting - Sprint did just announce that they are the first to support OTA software updates (and I'm not talking about PRL or NAM/MDN/MSID setup)...I wonder if the Treo could be the first candidate?
  12.    #72  
    As far as I can tell, no software was actually updated though.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    Web Browsing on my 600 has always been very very slow, but tolerable. The last time I did any browsing with it has been several weeks.

I just now did the ##3282 thing and now my web browser is easily as fast as my computer. Wow!

That being said, I do not have a clue if the ##3282 did this or whether something has changed on the vision network since I last surfed the web.

Seriously, what used to take up to a minute to load now takes 10 seconds. There must have been something wrong with my phone before.

I never did the last firmware update from Palm. How do I tell what version I have and what is the latest. I bet it did the update when I did the ##3282.
    Trust me, updating your Vision profile does not download any update on your phone. It only changes your user NAI settings if you have done so over the Sprint website or over the phone with a technician. There may be a possibility that updating your Vision profile clears out the various caches used for storing temporary files thereby increasing performance, but I can't back that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    Interesting - Sprint did just announce that they are the first to support OTA software updates (and I'm not talking about PRL or NAM/MDN/MSID setup)...I wonder if the Treo could be the first candidate?
    Sprint's already distributed an update using FOTA to LG PM-325 owners. They announced the update, so I would assume they would do the same if they offered one for the 650.
    I'am new to the forum and very interested in the 650,do you guys know for sure whether sprint or P1 will release an official update or patch to address all or most of the issues listed in treocentral and other sites regarding the 650? I have held off getting one because of the problems I've seen , thank you.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I don't think that increase in dialing speed has anything to do with an update. I think it has to do more with what's in the memory's cache. recall from previous discussions that the NVFS memory "purges" left over data when going from app to app. I notice that sometimes if I recently called a number, and call it again, it dials fast. But if I have been using another app for a while, then switch to phone app, dialing can take a few seconds. Also notice how an above poster reset his device and then it took longer to dial.
    how do you purge the NVFS memory? what files do you delete?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I had the space bar go bad and had to pick up a new 650 on Friday. I provisioned and reloaded from backupman. As many of the others have said, things are faster. I had a unit from P1 that I got in Nov. No Rom updates. Though the web seems faster, the dsl speed test still shows the same speeds as my first 650. The dailing is faster. It was enough of a diff that I thought they might have made a change to my new one. Tonight I read this thread and ...
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234