Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To all those asking how to get the update... you notice no one has said yet. Its probably B.S. There is nothing posted on Sprints web site yet nore do any of their customer service tech no about this update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    You are misinformed as well. Audiovox manufactures nothing. Anything that says Audiovox is rebadged. They have agreements w/ several manufacturers to create the products they sell.

While I agree Sprint didn't just "re-engineer" the GSM phone to a CDMA phone, Sprint is VERY involved in the development of their phones. They often have requirements of manufacturers that take a good working product and screw it up (Samsung phones are a good example of a good phone on other carriers that is often buggy w/ Sprint.)
    Excuse me. I wasn't trying to explain every aspect of the production/testing/manufacturing process. If you do want to be technical, though, Audiovox actually doesn't exist anymore. They were recently acquired by UTStarcom, and if I said "Sprint-branded phones are usually produced by UTStarcom," not many people would have known what I was talking about.

There really wasn't a reason to be snippy at me.
    I gotta admit... I think I am noticing less of a lag. As mentioned I still get lag when dialing from builtin Contacts. I am not usually one to sign on to "magic fixes" and I was never quite aware of any auto logon... I usually leave my phone connected. I also HAVE done Shadowmites firmware update AND I also have been using TakePhone for the last few days... I disabled it for this test.
    this is not an accident, this is art.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Excuse me. I wasn't trying to explain every aspect of the production/testing/manufacturing process. If you do want to be technical, though, Audiovox actually doesn't exist anymore. They were recently acquired by UTStarcom, and if I said "Sprint-branded phones are usually produced by UTStarcom," not many people would have known what I was talking about.

There really wasn't a reason to be snippy at me.
    Ummmm, don't think I was snippy. Think you read more emotion into my response than I had while writing it.

But, I can't just keep my mouth shut. Sprint-branded phones are NOT usually manufactured by UTStarcom. UTStarcom purchased the wireless handset division of Audiovox (again, no manufacturing involved.) This purchase is mainly to aquire a name brand presence that they can roll their Chinese manufactured phones into.

For an example, let's use the PPC-6601; commonly thought of as an Audiovox phone in CDMA cirlces and Siemens in GSM. The phone is actually manufactured by HTC. I'm not saying UTStarcom hasn't manufactured a phone for Sprint, but I haven't found one. However, the CDM-180 is on the way.

Not trying to be snippy, just can't help myself when I see false statements.

So, to get back on topic, I haven't seen anything from my phone that resembled an OTA update. No changes in the delay as well. I'm debating one thing though, tomorrow ends Sprint's holiday return policy and I'm still having sound quality issues from time to time. Should I gamble on a new phone by exchanging????
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    And what would be the point? My statement was I turned on the phone, and I saw a dialog box to the effect of conecting to Vision Services. Soon afterwards I noticed that ALL interactions with the phone buttons were improved. Whether from accessing within Contacts or directly. I have been very vocal of many of the issues re the 650 so 'making this up' would serve absolutely no purpose. So it's not posted on Sprint's web site, does that mean it doesn't exist? So I can't tell you how to replicate what happened on my phone, does that mean it didn't happen. So the service tech knows nothing about this, so what else is new?

Take for what it is worth. My phone is 100% better now....and I highly doubt that there is mass hypnosis making the others report the same.

Quote Originally Posted by franklane
    To all those asking how to get the update... you notice no one has said yet. Its probably B.S. There is nothing posted on Sprints web site yet nore do any of their customer service tech no about this update.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    From the "if you want anything done [right], do it yourself" file...

Well, I was on the road when I posted my pleas for this information. Now I'm at my destination, and I looked up the procedure for this. Some of us aren't as "## code" friendly as others, which is why I wanted this explanation in english. In any case... here is how you force a Vision Update...

1. Go to the phone application.
    2. Dial ##data (or ##3282) - press dial.
    3. From the "Data" screen, hit the Menu button and select "Update Vision Profile".

This will manually re-initialize the most current Vision profile for your device. Unfortunatly, in my case, it didn't eliminate the speed dialing out of the contacts application. It DID, however, speed up my keypad letter dialing (H for home, etc.). For those that I assigned a letter to speed dial - very happy. Out of contacts, though, still getting about 3-5 seconds.
    KitMoni
    No, UTStarcom doesn't manufacture the phones. You are right. They develop them.

I just wasn't trying to be that detailed. Sorry.
    Back in the day I used to work in the industry, they had no part in the development process. I can't honestly say I know that to be true today. Either way, Sprint-branded phones have come from several different sources over the years.

Thanks for the info kitmoni!!!

Edit: When I said "they," I meant Audiovox. UTStarcom does manufacture and develop phones, but none for Sprint until the CDM-180.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    From the "if you want anything done [right], do it yourself" file...

Well, I was on the road when I posted my pleas for this information. Now I'm at my destination, and I looked up the procedure for this. Some of us aren't as "## code" friendly as others, which is why I wanted this explanation in english. In any case... here is how you force a Vision Update...

1. Go to the phone application.
    2. Dial ##data (or ##3282) - press dial.
    3. From the "Data" screen, hit the Menu button and select "Update Vision Profile".

This will manually re-initialize the most current Vision profile for your device. Unfortunatly, in my case, it didn't eliminate the speed dialing out of the contacts application. It DID, however, speed up my keypad letter dialing (H for home, etc.). For those that I assigned a letter to speed dial - very happy. Out of contacts, though, still getting about 3-5 seconds.

All this does is change your Vision username on your phone if you have gone online and changed it or requested a technician to change it over the phone. What is sounds like people are experiencing is an over-the-air firmware update. However, the only one I know of being distributed to this date is for the LG PM-325 for Sprint. As far as I know, the LG PM-325 owners received some sort of message from Sprint telling them an update to their phone was available. It gave them a choice of updating their phones at that time, or at a later time.

Updating the Vision profile won't do anything to enhance the performance of your phone. If what the previous posters is experiencing is in fact a firmware update, I find it odd that the phone doesn't explicitly say that.
    All this does is change your Vision username on your phone if you have gone online and changed it or requested a technician to change it over the phone. What is sounds like people are experiencing is an over-the-air firmware update. However, the only one I know of being distributed to this date is for the LG PM-325 for Sprint. As far as I know, the LG PM-325 owners received some sort of message from Sprint telling them an update to their phone was available. It gave them a choice of updating their phones at that time, or at a later time.

Updating the Vision profile won't do anything to enhance the performance of your phone. If what the previous posters is experiencing is in fact a firmware update, I find it odd that the phone doesn't explicitly say that.
    I tend to agree
    <snip>owners received some sort of message from Sprint telling them an update to their phone was available. It gave them a choice of updating their phones at that time, or at a later time.

<snip>I find it odd that the phone doesn't explicitly say that.
    Agreed, sounds logical.

Edit: Beat to the punch by Dutchboy?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    <snip>I saw a dialog box to the effect of conecting to Vision Services. Soon afterwards I noticed that ALL interactions with the phone buttons were improved.
    By any chance have you customized your ROM??
    Geckotek,

I reread some of my earlier posts and it sounded like I was being snippy towards you. I'm sorry; I didn't mean to be (just really tired).

By the way, I would think that this could be easily checked. If the posters who have experienced this looked at their software version, wouldn't it be different than those who haven't experienced it?
    No worries and excellent point!

How do we check that?
    Last edited by Geckotek; 01/15/2005 at 12:02 AM.
    Prior to the noted changes. Phone Inf shows no change in Software revision (still Treo650-1.03-SPCS).

My wife and I have identical phones and associated software. Hers did not do the 'Vision' thing. Hers is noticeably slower than mine....

She is pissed!

By any chance have you customized your ROM??
    What I was wondering is if you had used one of Shadowmite's ROMs (or a custom ROM you created) OR do you have the original ROM the phone came with?
    Whenever you connect to Vision (if it hasn't been connected to it already) you get this dialog. How is this any different? While I believe you that your phone seems much better, this is a simple data connection dialog and I've probably seem it hundreds of times now. This is not any sort of update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    And what would be the point? My statement was I turned on the phone, and I saw a dialog box to the effect of conecting to Vision Services. Soon afterwards I noticed that ALL interactions with the phone buttons were improved. Whether from accessing within Contacts or directly. I have been very vocal of many of the issues re the 650 so 'making this up' would serve absolutely no purpose. So it's not posted on Sprint's web site, does that mean it doesn't exist? So I can't tell you how to replicate what happened on my phone, does that mean it didn't happen. So the service tech knows nothing about this, so what else is new?

Take for what it is worth. My phone is 100% better now....and I highly doubt that there is mass hypnosis making the others report the same.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Sorry, no dice. It's not a matter of belief; I am very data driven. As I said, I have compared my wife's with mine, side to side, and there is a minimum of a 1-2 second difference.

But, there may be no correlation between the dialog box and the improvement to my unit.

So, while I cannot explain why this is so, I can definitively say it is so on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Whenever you connect to Vision (if it hasn't been connected to it already) you get this dialog. How is this any different? While I believe you that your phone seems much better, this is a simple data connection dialog and I've probably seem it hundreds of times now. This is not any sort of update.
    Geckotek,

Sorry, I failed to explicitly put the 'Yes' in the original reply to your question. The ROM should not make a difference as we have two units with identical ROMs and disparate performance. They both have Shadomite-ROM#3 installed.

What I was wondering is if you had used one of Shadowmite's ROMs (or a custom ROM you created) OR do you have the original ROM the phone came with?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I noticed my phone had become 'slower' than usual to react so I noticed that a lot of the memory (it was 75% full) was being used by the large battery graph log.

I cleaned up things by erasing log and moving doc and sheet to card. Don't recall if I reset or not, but I noticed the responsiveness was faster.

Could this be related or coincidence?

thanks

PS: Posted from treo
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast