Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After searching through various posts here affirming the performance of the free Intellisync for Yahoo! (including for the Treo 650, which I own), I decided to give it a shot. I downloaded the latest version (I don't know where to find the version number, but it's what came down off Yahoo! today, at least) and installed it.

I configured Intellisync to only sync the Calendar and Address Book, and only to import it (one way, device to Yahoo!). This seemed to go well -- with each configuration change, I saw the Hotsync manager icon in the taskbar disappear and reappear. I opened the Hotsync "Custom..." dialog and saw "Intellisync for Calendar" and "Intellisync for Contacts" appear among the other conduits, as expected.

But the first hint I should have gotten that trouble was afoot was when I got a "Palm Conflict Notifier" the first time I tried to sync. It told me:
    A conflict in the installed conduits has been detected. This is caused when two different conduits are using the same PIM data type (e.g., Address Book vs. Contacts). To allow synchronization to proceed, use the Hotsync Custom dialog to change one set of conduits to 'Do Nothing'.
    I followed those instructions, setting the built-in (Palm Desktop) conduits for Calendar and Address Book to do nothing.

Then it synced fine.

Having uploaded all my contacts and calendar appointments to Yahoo!, I figured I'd switch back to Palm Desktop for daily syncing (using Yahoo! as an only sporadic backup). I restarted the Intellisync configuration utility, and unchecked the conduits. I saw the Hotsync taskbar icon disappear and reappear.

But the two Intellisync conduits did not disappear after all. So the next time I tried to sync, I got the same conflict error. And since Intellisync doesn't let you set its conduits to "Do Nothing" like a good conduit should, the only way I could get those two entries in the conduit list to go away was to completely uninstall Intellisync.

Whew, I thought, I won't be doing that again. I confirmed that the Intellisync conduits were no longer in the conduit list, and tried to Hotsync, figuring I was back where I started.

Wrong! I still got the conduit conflict error! It's as if a ghost of Intellisync is still there, even though it's no longer installed on my PC nor visible in the conduit list. I've reinstalled and uninstalled and tried again, but basically, now something is keeping Hotsyncs from happening.

So, my cry for help. Anyone familiar with this bug? Any way to manually see all the conduits the Hotsync Manager (this is 6.0.1) has in its nest, regardless of what's officially listed in the "Custom..." dialog? Any way to just reinstall Hotsync back to the way it was (though I imagine I'll lose Avantgo and other third-party conduits)?

Thanks in advance for any reasoned thoughts about this mess. I guess you do, indeed, get what you pay for!
  2.    #2  
    Something else I'm seeing: After uninstalling Intellisync for Yahoo!, and seeing the Intellisync conduits disappear from the "Custom..." conduit list, trying to set the default/original conduits for Contacts, Calendar, Memos, and Tasks from "Do Nothing" back to "Synchronize the Files" and setting that action as default causes the Hotsync manager to crash. I get a Microsoft error report:
    AppName: hotsync.exe AppVer: 6.0.1.0 Modname: hotsync.exe ModVer: 6.0.1.0 Offset: 0002d94f Exception Information - Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000...
    If I change it to "Synchronize the Files" and don't click the box to set the action as the default, the crash doesn't happen. In either case, though, I get the "conflict in the installed conduits" error.

Maybe Intellisync has left some fragment of itself in the "default" slot for PIM data, and attempting to give that designation to the original conduits is causing the crash?

I'm lost! Please don't tell me I'm now stuck with Yahoo! as my only sync/backup point!
    Intellisync is a POS.

I have been burned to many by it.

Save yourself the headaches and avoid.
  4.    #4  
    Well, I'm happy to say I've come to the same conclusion. My question has been, "How do I get the ghost of Intellisync out of my system?" Are conduit files in a common place on my PC? How can I see what's blocking the default Palm Desktop conduits from working?
    Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon
    My question has been, "How do I get the ghost of Intellisync out of my system?" Are conduit files in a common place on my PC? How can I see what's blocking the default Palm Desktop conduits from working?
    You may have solved this problem by now, but in case anyone one else comes across this post, I was able to solve this problem with Conduit Buddy, a utility which lets you get rid of the lingering stench of Intellisync... Now I just wish I could sync with my Yahoo calendar!
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Conbuddy appears to have worked for me. The lingering intellisync from my previous palm fouled me up when I went to a new Treo 650. I have wasted nearly two hours trying to un foul it.

Now I appear to have the memory problems, my old palm could handle a few thousand calendar entries, but the new 650 appears to not deal with it. I will have to go get a bigger SD card, but even then I am not sure calendar will let me use the card slot. I am a newbie, so I am learning.

Thanks for conbuddy!

Ed
    Any updates on this problem?
  8.    #8  
    Never got a fix. My own solution had two simple steps:
    1. Switch to the Mac.
    2. Buy "Missing Sync."
    I solved the problem by doing a search for all files containing "hotsync" in my computer. I found a file called: "HotSyncWizard.exe" and ran it to backup my pda into the desktop, which fixed the conduit error message. I can now hotsync without the error message interrupting the process.
    Good luck.
  10.    #10  
    Sounds cheaper than my solution, to be sure.
  11. pkc
    hi,
    i'm also having issues with yahoo isync. for me, the isync starts up and i see that it is trying to start sync'ing yahoo items. at this point, the hotsync freezes and the cpu usage jumps up. after a while, the hotsync crashes.

i'm experiencing the same issue on both my laptop and desktop. my treo 650 is a verzion treo.

thanks in advance for any help!
    I had somewhat similar problems a few weeks ago. I uninstalled Isync and then downloaded a fresh installation file from Yahoo - after that everything has been working fine again.
    I too, am interested in being able to access my Yahoo Calendar from the Palm Treo 650 ... is this a good way to go and can anyone advise a quick way to get this done?

I had some problems as mentioned above with the conduits, and am not sure how to get past it... (I'm probably not as advanced as many of you) .

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mousie
    I too, am interested in being able to access my Yahoo Calendar from the Palm Treo 650
    I have come up with an approach for this that probably won't work for others, but I'll mention it in case it triggers someone else's thoughts along these lines. I am also interested if anyone has a more complete solution for Yahoo calendars.

My wife maintains our personal / family calendar on Yahoo, and I maintain my business calendar in Lotus Notes. My need is to have a merged read only copy of both these calendars on my Treo. I don't really have a need to be able to add / update events on either calendar from the Treo itself. I prefer to do adds / updates in the source system (Yahoo or Notes), especially since in many cases I'm not the person doing the update anyway.

Notes has a number of options for pretty complete synchronization with the Treo, such as Lotus EasySync, which I use. So my goal was to get my Yahoo calendar to the Treo somehow, and I was never able to get Intellisync to work properly.

I ended up writing a short Perl script that uses the Yahoo calendar export function to download the Yahoo calendar and then imports it into my Notes calendar. The events are marked YAHOO: so I know where they came from and are created as private non-time-blocking events in Notes so they don't interfere with my work scheduling. The script is run daily, and handles duplicates, deletes, etc, so the end result is it always maintains a read-only copy of my Yahoo calendar in Notes. Then, thru the use of EasySync, I get a copy of both calendars on my Treo!

As I said, this works for me, but I know others would like read / write synchronization with Yahoo, and probably don't have Notes in the picture like me. Anyone interested in this approach is welcome to have the script if they want to try to modify it for some other calendaring system.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    I was the latest victim of this crazy application. This really makes me upset - I shouldn't have trusted their little descriptions saying it will sync with palm os ... so far, I've gotten the conduit errors... trying the HotSyncWizard.exe method to try and regain control of this deal. This is just pitiful.

Is there any other internet calendars that will work and that we can sync our calendars with? I want to be able to share calendars online ... and sync with my treo 650 calendar.
    Intellisync works fine for me and my Treo 650 with my Yahoo! Calendar, Address Book (needed some serious field mapping editing, but it works fine now), and Memos.

I use Intellisync for my calendar at work to my personal Yahoo! calendar and then to my Treo. It works fine for that.

But I'd really like to use my Palm Desktop for my todos and tasks at home (for quicker editing on a real keyboard compared to the Treo keyboard) and then sync to Outlook for my tasks at work, which I'd be able to do if Yahoo had stinkin categories!. Plus, Yahoo's tasks' text fields aren't long enough for my linked Bonsai entries. I guess that's okay, because I could do a prefix to the tasks which I could then filter in Intellisync, but I'd rather just use my Treo than deal than ****ty Outlook at all.

I'm gonna try again to disable the Intellisync conduits at home, but the fact that you can't configure Intellisync's conduits in the custom section of the HotSync Manager is a real pain in the ***.
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb
    You may have solved this problem by now, but in case anyone one else comes across this post, I was able to solve this problem with Conduit Buddy, a utility which lets you get rid of the lingering stench of Intellisync... Now I just wish I could sync with my Yahoo calendar!
    I had the same problem on a Lifedrive. Uninstalling Intellisync did not help. Fortunately, Conduit Buddy let me quickly remove the 4 unlinked conduits left around by Intellisync!

Thanks for the link
    Quote Originally Posted by pportmd View Post
    I solved the problem by doing a search for all files containing "hotsync" in my computer. I found a file called: "HotSyncWizard.exe" and ran it to backup my pda into the desktop, which fixed the conduit error message. I can now hotsync without the error message interrupting the process.
    Good luck.
    OK, I too had this problem. I solved the problem by:
    1) Uninstalling the Intellisync for Yahoo (using Control Panel's Add/Remove programs)
    2) Running "HotSyncWizard.exe" as the instruction above suggest.

BTW, I do not have a Treo and this worked. So this looks to be something that works for all Palm OS.
    Thank you Pportmd for your tip. You saved me more wasted hours.
    Since you are one of the very few people who seem to be using Lotus Notes, I thought I will check with you. Would really appreciate if you can help!!

I use Lotus Notes for my calendar. I installed Lotus Easysync Pro 4.2.4. But I have been unable to get it to do anything. Everytime I try to sync, I keep getting the error message - "Unable to find HotSync. Please restart Hotsync.If this does not work, please re-install Hotsync and try again". I have tried reinstalling both Palm and Easysyncpro about 500 times by now and still have the same issues. I have no issues syncing with Palm Desktop (including Calendar).

One interesting thing - when I install Palm and go to set up the Hotsync for the first time, I get the following error message - " Hotsyncwizard.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". But this did not impact the hotsync capability with palm desktop. so I did not bother. The only issue (and that is causing lot of grief to me) is the inability to sync up my calendar with Lotus Notes.

PS: I don't use wireless sync. Always via cable. Carrier - Verizon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    HotSyncWizard.exe did it for me! Intellisync is a POS...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast