1.    #1  
    Every Palm I've ever had did soft resets at the darnest times. When an application's trial expired (Docs to Go) 3 of my Palm devices started soft resetting when I attempted to launch the application. This included a Kyocera 7135, a Palm T3, and now my Treo 650 rests when an application does not hotsync properly for some reason, and I try to launch it.

I installed WorldMate on the T650 last week. It worked fine, but after a few hotsync's it quit, and the unit soft reset itself everytime I tried to launch it. This continued till I deleted it from both the T650 and the desktop backup folder, and reinstalled WorldMate once more.

What gives?
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I think the soft resets is the biggest issue creating the illusion that the Treo in unstable.

If Palm could simply create an error message saying that the program failed instead of resetting the phone it would go a long way in improving customers impressions of the device.

-BT
    Palm devices reset because of misbehaving applications...not just on their own (unless they are defective). It's up to developers not to do things that crash the device. Since only one app can be running at a time (with the exception of hacks) it's pretty easy to pin down the culprit and report it to the developer. If you have any hacks enabled try disabling them as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I think the soft resets is the biggest issue creating the illusion that the Treo in unstable.

If Palm could simply create an error message saying that the program failed instead of resetting the phone it would go a long way in improving customers impressions of the device.

-BT
    Unfortunately this isn't always possible. PalmOS is an _embedded_ os. The difference between this and a desktop/server os like windows is that a lot of the protection (mem segmentation etc) that a desktop OS provides has been removed from it in the interest of size and speed. PalmOS does trap many problems but fixing them requires a reset because it's the surest way to clear the problem. The OS does abort the program for some things but the vast majority (Nil Handle, etc) will cause a soft reset.
    I am a Palm user since 1997. I have owned more then a dozen Palm Devices as well as PPC's. My Treo 650 is the single most crashy Palm I have ever owned. Strangely enough, it is also one of the most satisfying.

In my experience, the 650 crashes too much to be considered normal. I am hoping that Sprint/PalmOne will come out with some updates either in RAM or ROM that will address some (or better yet all) of this instability.

Fingers Crossed!