Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I was hoping someone could help me with a problem:

I am a soon-to-be new Treo user. While talking to my IT guy I found out that our IT staff will soon only support Blackberries as the 'official' PDA. Everything else is going to be blocked in the next couple of weeks. (for those who may ask: They are doing this as our company handles customer information and they want a broad policy for all sites, however I am in a staff role and don't have access to such information so while this may be a violation of the letter of the law it is not a violation of the spirit - I just want to use my PDA). This means that it is likely that I will not be able to install hotsync or any other software on my PC and we do not have administrator access.

What I am looking for is a way to sync my office calendar, contacts, etc with my Treo. I have a vague idea that involves exporting my Outlook file to a .pst or .csv and emailing off so that I can import it into the treo. I was figuring that I could do this either at my home computer or ideally, direct to the Treo wirelessly.

I am sure I am not the only person who has run into this - any ideas?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    If you are using Outlook in the office and at home, you should be able to export the information you need, and then e-mail it your personal e-mail account and download the informaiton on your home computer. Then import the data in to Outlook and synchronize it with your Treo. You can synchronzie your Treo to Outlook by using Chapura PocketMirror Standard or Professional.

However, before doing so, you should read your company's policy on transferring corporate information to non-corporate computers. As an IT person myself, I can tell you that if I found out about such actions, things would get ugly really fast.

Alan G
    Quote Originally Posted by fraslin
    I was hoping someone could help me with a problem:

I am a soon-to-be new Treo user. While talking to my IT guy I found out that our IT staff will soon only support Blackberries as the 'official' PDA. Everything else is going to be blocked in the next couple of weeks. (for those who may ask: They are doing this as our company handles customer information and they want a broad policy for all sites, however I am in a staff role and don't have access to such information so while this may be a violation of the letter of the law it is not a violation of the spirit - I just want to use my PDA). This means that it is likely that I will not be able to install hotsync or any other software on my PC and we do not have administrator access.

What I am looking for is a way to sync my office calendar, contacts, etc with my Treo. I have a vague idea that involves exporting my Outlook file to a .pst or .csv and emailing off so that I can import it into the treo. I was figuring that I could do this either at my home computer or ideally, direct to the Treo wirelessly.

I am sure I am not the only person who has run into this - any ideas?

Thanks!
    I can install the hotsync on my work PC but I did not. In fact, I forward the important meeting request to my personal email at home (and i do not keep any contacts from work on my personal outlook, just personal reason). I download the meeting request, and then sync my outlook.

i am not sure what the policy of your IT department. Unless you are working in a strick security environment, may be they have problems of you to send the meeting request to outside company email.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I was able to get my info into the Treo via Yahoo's calendar and Intellesync - I upload the information to yahoo and sync at home at the end of the day.

Not the best solution, but it works.