1.    #1  
    Am I right in thinking that I can't run Chatter properly in the Treo 650 simulator? It seems to run, but I can't connect to any IMAP servers, and I assume this has something to do with the lack of Socket Notifications in the simulator.

I'm thinking of buying a 650 and ditching the Blackberry, so obviously I'd like to give Chatter a trial before I make the Big Jump.

Geoff.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    In the simulator there's an option to route all networking through the PC. Did you try that? Don't have it running here, can't remember the exact menu item.
    I had the same problem last night when I tried it. I am routing the networking through the PC and Blazer and Versamail work (even with ActiveSync which I think uses non-standard ports).

No matter what I try it won't work for me. The option is to route "NetLib" calls to the pc. Maybe Chatter doesn't use NetLib?

I really wanted to see what I am missing out on. I am a Verizon subscriber
    Geoff - Why use the simulator??? You can use ChatterEmail fully for 30 days without registration.

Marcj
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Geoff - Why use the simulator??? You can use ChatterEmail fully for 30 days without registration.

Marcj
    Because I don't own a treo yet... I am still tng to 'evaluate' the options compared to the blackberry.

My simulator is set up to route netlib traffic (and Blazer / Versmail work fine).

Geoff
    geoff - Not sure what to tell you. It works for me.

Marc
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    geoff - Not sure what to tell you. It works for me.
    Hmmm... well at least I know it's my fault .

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that the phone is 'turned off'? If I activate it, the simulator hangs for a while and finally says that it cannot find any network coverage (unsurprising): do I need to do something in order to get the simulator to simulate network coverage?

Geoff.
  8.    #8  
    Very strange... I just uploaded a new version and it worked first time. Oh well...

Out of interest, do you use socket notifications for your background processing?

Geoff.
    Nope.

Marc
  10.    #10  
    Any particular reason why not? I'd imagine it would increase the battery life quite considerably.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffreycross
    Any particular reason why not? I'd imagine it would increase the battery life quite considerably.
    Sorry... don't take that as a critisism. Chatter is quite wonderful as it is currently....
    Mainly because it's only available on the Treo 650 at this point, and the method I use doesn't require use of the data connection (i.e. it has almost no overhead). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $socket$ $notifications$ $are$ $a$ $simplification$ $of$ $a$ $capability$ $that$ $already$ $existed$.

Marc
  13.    #13  
    Socket notifications were supported (although not documented) on the 600, I believe. Have you ever tested the two methods for battery life? It would be interesting to do some tests: let me know if you'd like me to have a look at it.

Geoff.
    Thanks, Geoff. I'll take a look after I get 1.0 released.

Marc