1.    #1  
    Hi-

This is my first serious issue with the 650. I was driving to the office today and I decided to listen to MP3s off the phone using Pocket Tunes, my Radio Shack adapter, and the tape-deck wired tape thingy (sorry...mind blank). I think this is the first time I have done this with the 650, but I used to do it all the time with my 600. Music played fine, but every 5 seconds or so VoiceDial (Voice Signal) would pop up and say "Say a Command" through my car speakers. Eventually, it was just saying "Say a Command" over and over and over until I had to reset the phone. Any thoughts on this?? I think it has something to do with the adapter and the headphone jack because PTunes by itself works fine.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    I don't suppose you could just learn to live with this as a new form of techno music?

What key do you have set to start up Voice Command?
    There have been several different problems reported all dealing with either the headphone jack or the adapter. I myself was having problem with Ptunes and the jack as well when using a cheap earbud. Almost seemed like a short there somewhere that sometimes messed up what was going to the external speaker.

What I suspect (no proof mind you) is that if the jack or adapter doesnt fit exactly it causes problems with the system. I would get pops and static when i rotated the jack around and that seemed to cause problems.

I switched earphones that seem to fit much better and havent had that problem since, but if it pops up, I may have to take the thing in for a warrenty swap.

So, in your case, you might try another adapter to see if it makes any difference. Worth a try anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Hi-

This is my first serious issue with the 650. I was driving to the office today and I decided to listen to MP3s off the phone using Pocket Tunes, my Radio Shack adapter, and the tape-deck wired tape thingy (sorry...mind blank). I think this is the first time I have done this with the 650, but I used to do it all the time with my 600. Music played fine, but every 5 seconds or so VoiceDial (Voice Signal) would pop up and say "Say a Command" through my car speakers. Eventually, it was just saying "Say a Command" over and over and over until I had to reset the phone. Any thoughts on this?? I think it has something to do with the adapter and the headphone jack because PTunes by itself works fine.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    I had this EXACT same problem you described. I finally decided to remove VoiceDial as the solution. Not sure what triggered it, though...
    I had this exact problem today while listening to RealPlayer with a RadioShack adapter, cassette thing, and my car's cassette player. Unfortunately, I can't tell if the problem is a poorly fitting adapter plug, because the L-shaped adapter plug that I bought directly from PalmOne fits so poorly that all I get is static and loud audio pops/scratches. The RadioShack plug at least seems to fit well and delivers clear music (except when VoiceDial barges in!).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    I don't suppose you could just learn to live with this as a new form of techno music?

What key do you have set to start up Voice Command?
    I have the Nextel PTT button activating Voice Command. (Side button) This doesn't appear to make any difference. I sent an email to Voice Signal and their response: Iím not sure about this. I suggest you contact PalmOne at 813-313-4913.

bastages!!
  7.    #7  
    I really don't want to remove Voice Command. It works so well (except for this "Say a Command" crapola). Plus I already bought it, dammit. When I get home I will plug in headphones (Etymotic ER6) and see if that makes a difference. I wonder if (besides uninstalling) there is a way to disable voice command temporarily...
    I'm waiting for my adapter, so I'll report my experience when I get it. I too, have VoiceDial and I really like it (I have also paid for it). However, there might be something to this headset jack thing. This morning and once before, simply unplugging my hands free (cheap crappy one that came with the phone) caused the 650 to do a soft reset. This gives a bit of credibility to the theory that there is something going on with the jack itself.
    i'm also using an adapter from radioshack with the tape adapter to listen to music in the car.. my question for you guys are what happens when a call comes in when listening to music ? i havent experienced this yet but will really like to know what happens.. i hope it doesnt just start coming through the car speakers... any insight will be highly appreciated.. thanx in advance...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  10.    #10  
    When a call comes in, it does come through the speakers...unless you have a BT headset. That's what I love...music through the speakers and call to headset. It's perfect except for the Say a Command Say a Command Say a Command Say a Command Say a Command Say a Command Say a CommandSay a Command!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
    I have the adapter from Treocentral and I too have had the same problem. I have found if I play with the volume a little (turn it down) it seems to stop the behavior.
  12.    #12  
    Hmmmmm...I wonder why the volume would have anything to do with it?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I was having the same problem. However, I never thought it was a software problem. I always thought it was the fact that my car-phone holder gripped the treo's sides too hard causing the side button to be pushed in launching the voice program. I uninstalled the program since it did not work well for me.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    I was having the same problem. However, I never thought it was a software problem. I always thought it was the fact that my car-phone holder gripped the treo's sides too hard causing the side button to be pushed in launching the voice program. I uninstalled the program since it did not work well for me.
    That's definitely not the problem. I checked that for sure. I actually wonder if it is a hardware issue with the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone and some sort of attempt to implement a "push the headset button and Voice Command activates" type of thing.
  15.    #15  
    A follow-up: I think the problem is, as I said before, that VoiceDial thinks the button on the wired headset is being pushed. This is from PalmOne's website:

Hands-free headset (wired)
    If you're using Treo Voice Dialing with the hands-free headset included with your Treo smartphone, or a third-party wired hands-free headset, keep these pointers in mind:

* When you press the button on the headset, Treo Voice Dialing activates. You can immediately say names or numbers to dial.
    * Once the call connects, Treo Voice Dialing is de-activated.
    * During an active call, you can use the headset button as you would normally for disconnecting or switching between calls. Treo Voice Dial is turned off during active calls.
    * During an active call, you cannot dial numbers or additional people using Treo Voice Dialing. Instead, use the keypad, Speed Dial, or Contacts to dial additional numbers. Use the keypad to enter numeric characters in an automated system.

Anybody have any thoughts on what we can do about this?