Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok, this was inspired by a previous thread in this particular forum, and while this posting may be appropriate elsewhere, i wasn't sure where to put it, so i'm placing it here.

i'd love to know what software everyone highly recommends for their treo, whether it be utilities, games, or whatever.

if possible, a short description of each would be nice. i'd love to know what to get next.

thanks!
    My personal favorites:

FileZ - an indispensible file management utility - freeware
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

DateBk5 - integrated appointment, memo, contact, and task management
    http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5.htm

SplashPhoto - photo viewer with slideshow
    http://www.splashdata.com/splashphoto/

VeriChat - multiplatform chat client (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ)
    http://www.pdaapps.com/verichat/default.html

VoiceDial - voice recognition phone dialer
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...cedialing.html

PocketTunes Deluxe - music player, supports streaming - FAR superior to the RealPlayer which comes installed on the Treo 650
    http://www.pocket-tunes.com/

BackupBuddyVFS Pro - backs up your RAM contents to an SD card
    http://www.bluenomad.com/

I also would not personally be using the Treo 650 without:

Shadowmite's custom ROM#3 (voice quality patch, dial-up networking patch, note pad, voice recorder, versamail)

Shadowmite's dialer patch (enables call duration and calltime totals, maintains ## codes, allows for custom phone radio splash screens)
    These are some must haves for the Treo:

- ZLauncher
    - Agendus
    - Snappermail
    - Verichat
    - KeyCaps
    - Infoman
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    My personal favorites:

I also would not personally be using the Treo 650 without:

Shadowmite's custom ROM#3 (voice quality patch, dial-up networking patch, note pad, voice recorder, versamail)
    On ROM #3

voice quailty patch - fixes sound quality
    Diall-up netwroking patch - I assume is the bluetooth patch

what is the note pad, voice recorder and versamail patchs for?
    Versamail is not a patch, just means Versamail is present (not removed from the ROM.)
    NotePad and Voice Recorder means that he included the NotePad and Voice Recorder programs (stripped from a Tungsten.)
    Zlauncher
    2day
    Datebk5
    Splash money
    splash id
    butler
    initiate
    takephone
    teal auto
    fitness plus
    sound rec
    mapopolis
    xiino
    hand/rss
    quickswitch
    wassdat
    winhand
    worldmate
    maltins movie guide
    msafe
    backupman
    ptunes
    secondscreentv
    dir assistance
    nesem
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Here's what I use the most (in order)

1. ZLauncher: used the most for obvious reasons. I only started using it a few weeks ago, but wow what an incredible app! In fact, no real need for FileZ anymore with this guy's built-in file manager.

2. PocketTunes Deluxe: Forget RealPlayer, this is the real deal.

3. NesEm: Wouldn't have said this for the 600 (well, maybe), but the graphics are incredible on the 650 and well worth the money!!

5. PalmarySoft Clock: Handy app for managing my alarms in case power goes out. Lots of good eye candy, too.

6. Dir Assist: If you need to look up phone numbers and addresses, this is the tool for you.

There are plenty of other good apps and some already mentioned, but those are my most frequently used ones...
    If you are a Microsoft Outlook user then Beyond Contacts is a MUST! It syncs perfectly with Outlooks utilizing all fields, multiple categories, etc... The Palm OS Contact Manager is terrible compared to this application.
    where can you find shadowmites rom 3 patch was on web site and did not see it .
    also ive already downloaded the show call duration patch which keeps the ## features workink are these the same! and once again what are the benefits of the rom 3 patch

thanks in advance for all replies
    joel
    Agree with a lot of the apps above. Didnt see anyone mention KBlights Off. Search the site and you can find it. Outstanding little app that allows you to toggle the keyboard lights on and off.

To Joel: http://shadowmite.com/roms.html Its labled #3 and is my personal favorite so far.
    Splash Shopper: This one of my favorite apps.

Softick Card Export: Connects your desktop to your SD card, so you can use it as a memory stick. Great for transferring documents from work to home.

Treo Alert Manager: If I miss a call it will sound an alarm every 1 minute. Various settings available.

Tip Tap: Used to figure out tips. It's freeware.

Master Drink's: Contains 649 mix drink recipes. It's freeware.

Diet & Exercise Pro: Track calories, water intake, and exercise.

Snails: A very cute and high quality game. You have a team of snails that try to kill and blow up another team of snails.

Bejeweled 2: Puzzle game.

Pocket Quicken: The only money program I found that is compatiable with Quicken 2005, as well as, the only program that synchs directly with Quicken.

Day Off: Tracks your vacation and personal time. Simple and free.

Converter: Converts various units such as length, time, volume, weight, speed, temp, etc. It's free too.

CigCount: Tracks how many cigs you smoke a day. It's free.

Agendus Pro: Email, To Do, Memos, Reminders, and a great phone book.

Smart List To Go: Database program. I use it for various things like car maintenance, detailed exercise info, mp3 collection, etc.
    Last edited by technobarbie; 01/13/2005 at 03:50 PM.
    Add this to your list of must haves: http://www.win-hand.com/menu.htm
    Take your Treo into the BIG LEAGUE! )
    I've had my Treo 650 for a week now and my list of favorite applications are very similar to the others here.....

My list is....

1) Versa Chat

2) Agendus (I liked beyond contact more...but it didnt integrate that well with the other Palm apps...)

3) Splash Photo

4) Win Hand

5) Card Export II

6) Pocket Tunes (still not sure if it's ALL that much better than Real Player...)

7) MM Player

8) Versa Mail

9) Voice Dial

10) Filez

11) Strategic Commander (LOVE this game)

12) Warfare (another great game)

13) Backup Buddy

14) Documents to Go

15) Treo Alarm

I think that's about it...will slow down in trying new applications out now
    Going to do a hard reset to clean up all gunk left over and just install these the way I want it
    Thanks for those links.. good thread. I just got my THIRD T650 with 30 more days (waiting for a PalmOne Patch) so I'm gonna have to try out all these apps and I just might keep this phone with Shadows patch
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelMentor
    Add this to your list of must haves: http://www.win-hand.com/menu.htm
    Take your Treo into the BIG LEAGUE! )
    Is this faster or better than Palm VNC?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technobarbie
    Agendus Pro: Email, To Do, Memos, Reminders, and a great phone book.
    I really liked Agendus, but it caused lockups. I switched to Datebk5 and no more problems.
  17. crp
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Is this faster or better than Palm VNC?
    They work in opposite ways: Palm VNC allows you to see & control your Treo's screen on your PC. Win-Hand allows you to see & control your PC from your Treo (gotta do lotsa panning & scanning, but it works).
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
    Everyone has their favorites, but you can definitely see a pattern forming . For point of reference, here is my Treo650 setup with 3.0M free for web cache, temp app use, etc. This is nearly identical with my Treo600 setup which left 4.3M free. The main difference is deleting MovieRec/QSet/Pickem since they aren't really needed on the 650. I use the majority of these nearly every day, but some are just there to show off "Look what I can do with my phone".

Apps fully in memory
    AAFlights (American Airlines flight schedule)
    AT&T (country code lookup)
    BackupBuddy
    Butler
    CardSpeed
    Converter
    DatavizTech
    DirAssist
    ExpenseLogPro
    GoodLink (wireless, secure Outlook email, contacts, calendar, memos, ToDos) - ~5M
    mSafe
    myBible
    PalmInternals
    PalmPrices
    PasswordsPlus
    SoundRec
    StarAlliance (Lufthansa flight schedules)
    TrackerDog
    TreoGuard
    VFSMark
    Vindigo
    WorldMate
    zLauncher

On SD card
    AcidImageBasic
    Backgammon
    BeTheDealer
    BigClock
    CardExport
    Checkers
    DailyReader
    DocumentsToGo
    GolfTrac
    Memorize!
    mmPlayer
    MobiPocket
    PayoffPlus
    PDANet
    OmniRemote
    Retro (Atari games)
    Sea War
    Sketcher
    SunCompass
    TacTic
    TicTacMax
    Troopers
    Wheel
    Zap!2016
    Quote Originally Posted by crp
    They work in opposite ways: Palm VNC allows you to see & control your Treo's screen on your PC. Win-Hand allows you to see & control your PC from your Treo (gotta do lotsa panning & scanning, but it works).
    Umm, no. I use palmVNC to control my PC through vision. I haven't needed to do it the other way so i'm not sure it will work as vnc needs a specific IP address and port.

These desktop remote control apps are interesting being that they're all based on VNC's open source code with a few optimizations here and there. I can't figure how companies can charge for a program like this and make a profit being that there are so many free alternatives. Definately use the free PalmVNC before paying for an app's whose code is essentially freely distributed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast