Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My list is too long....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Win Hand is free too... and it is easier to set up... almost foolproof.

Supposedly, Win Hand is faster too... but I don't know. I got tired of trying to set Palm VNC up on my Treo and XP home system.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    If you are a Microsoft Outlook user then Beyond Contacts is a MUST! It syncs perfectly with Outlooks utilizing all fields, multiple categories, etc... The Palm OS Contact Manager is terrible compared to this application.
    Will it sync wirelessly? Is there any s/w that allows you to sync Outlook calendar items (not just e-mail) between your desktop and Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Will it sync wirelessly? Is there any s/w that allows you to sync Outlook calendar items (not just e-mail) between your desktop and Treo?
    I've synced through Sprint's Network back home to my desktop. It requires punching a hole in your firewall and routing toward a particular computer. I've attached a text file explaining how to do it.

This gets pretty powerful- consider this: You use a VNC client to drop programs on your hard drive at home to your Palm Install software. A quick sync, and you have any program you want on your device. Forget SD cards: You have access to 100's of megs of software if you want. (yeah, it's slow though- works in a pinch!)

And Regarding WINHAND:

Quote Originally Posted by crp
    They work in opposite ways: Palm VNC allows you to see & control your Treo's screen on your PC. Win-Hand allows you to see & control your PC from your Treo (gotta do lotsa panning & scanning, but it works).
    Actually, you're incorrect. Palm VNC is the exact same idea as WinHand. You are thinking of PDAreach from June Fabrics.

Someone said installing WinHand was effortless. I managed to get it up and running after a few hoops (including waiting for an email verification that took a while thanks to my ISP). It eventually worked, looked promising and proceeded to crash my phone. I don't like the third party server aspect. With PalmVNC you just install it, route it and your done. It's not very fast, but I managed to play a round of Online Poker from my phone- controlling my PC at home. That's almost worth 6 bills.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zorro869; 01/24/2005 at 11:41 PM.
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Thanks, Zorro!
    I think Palm VNC is easier to install if you don't have Win XP Service Pack 2, or a firewall.

But Win Hand is simple... if you have email... and even if you have a firewall.

Depending on your home or office pc, your results may vary.

p.s. my email reply was instant thanks to my isp
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    Umm, no. I use palmVNC to control my PC through vision. I haven't needed to do it the other way so i'm not sure it will work as vnc needs a specific IP address and port.

These desktop remote control apps are interesting being that they're all based on VNC's open source code with a few optimizations here and there. I can't figure how companies can charge for a program like this and make a profit being that there are so many free alternatives. Definately use the free PalmVNC before paying for an app's whose code is essentially freely distributed.
    I have been using PalmVNC since my Treo 600, its even better on the high rez screen on the Treo 650. A MUST have program.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12