Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have been using Snapper Mail on my Treo 600 for a year and now my Treo 650 comes with Versa Mail. I'm still using Snappper Mail but in reading here and on the 650 forum, Versa Mail seems to be very popular.

I would like to hear opinions please.

Bob
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have been using Snapper Mail on my Treo 600 for a year and now my Treo 650 comes with Versa Mail. I'm still using Snappper Mail but in reading here, Versa Mail seems to be very popular.

I would like to hear opinions please.

Bob
    I like VersaMail and have had no problems with it. Several users have reported problems with VersaMail (resets, weird errors, difficulty with authentication) and prefer Snappermail.

I'd say give the built-in VersaMail a try. If you like it and it works well for you, great. If you don't, install Snappermail and go with that.
    I think both Snapper and VersaMail are nice email solutions. VersaMail is free, Snapper is not. Not a tough decision. VersaMail supports POP, IMAP, and Exchange. I've used RIMM devices in the past but using the direct Exchange technology on VersaMail and being able to manage my email and calendar directly is a very empowering experience.
    Not only is it free, but also Versamail is in the ROM, so it doesn't eat up RAM. If you decide you want Snappermail instead, you will have to install it in RAM or make a custom ROM with it replacing Versamail.
    I was a firm believer in SnapperMail until I bought the 650. I don't mind VersaMail at all and acutally am getting quite used to it. The problem with SnapperMail being on your 650 is that it takes up so dang much memory. I would stick with Versamail until PalmOne gets the memory issue fixed.
    One advantage to having used Snappermail is that if you stored your messages on the card, you can still view the contents from a text reader (e.g. Tealdoc). This means that you can switch to another mail program and at least retain use of the data in old mail.
    Versamail worked great for me right up until I installed verichat. Now it just restarts my Treo. Something to keep in mind.
    I am still trying out Versamail, simply because it integrates with the phone screen, but I have odd issues with it. It will always give me messages about "last get operation failed", at which point it just stops trying. Also, a lot of the time I want to read an email I received earlier in the day and it's just gone, never to be found again. I have no idea whre they go. With snappermail this never, ever happened to me.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Snappermail never got my messages. It would get 3 out of 10 messages. It was weird. Versamail gets all my POP3 messages. And Snapper was blaming my POP3 provider, as if there was something i could do.
    I like versamails interface but prefer snappermail overall. Versamail supports HTML but the pictures dont show. Also it's a bit slower than Snappermail, only supports 2mb attachments, and attaching files are cumbersome if you have a lot of files in your sd card since they are listed individually. Snappermail has no limit size attachment, you preview each email as it's downloading, and finding attachments are easy since they are categorized by folders, exactly the way they're stored in your card, but it's not free and not too fond of the interface. I'm only using standard version 1.2 and I'm quite happy with it.
    I had bunch of resets and fetching problems with VersaMail, so I went back to SnapperMail and never had any problems since.
    versamail sucks donkey ****
    Versamail + GMail works fine for me. I love how Versamail integrates with the device (predictive addressing when typing a recipent's name, message count on dialpad, etc). I also like how Versamail checks mail (autosync) without turning on the screen and hijacking the device during the sync.
    For the Versamail users among you, I have a question. Is there a way to select one or more messages for action (like deleting them) without using the stylus? The only way I can find to select a subset of all messages is to tap on that little circle to the left of the sender.

If it's necessary to use the stylus for this, that's a major interface screw-up on the Treo, and a major advantage to Snapper Mail.

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I stopped using Versamail after a couple weeks of using it. It would crash on me when trying to go to my Sent Items folder. I bought into SnapperMail back when it was just starrting and got the free upgrades for life package, so I'm using it now instead of VersaMail.

Snapper takes about 1meg of RAM for me, and I have it archive all emails to my SD card after 1 day. I do like how VersaMail handles HTML better, but that's about it. VM has no 1-button email fetching, and the scheduled email checking doesn't work as well as SnapperMail's.

If I hadn't bought SM a long time ago, I'd probably be using VM. Also, when we get Exchange Server 2003 here at work, I'll use Versamail for that. Once the custom ROM process gets easier on the 650, I'll put SM in ROM and take other useless things out.
    I know this is sort of off topic, but I own a lifetime upgrade license for SnapperMail and I keep it on my SD card, but I use ChatterEmail exclusively now. It is quite powerful, can do push and pull email, is darn fast, works completely in the background (you can even kick off sending email with large attachments and leave the app as it sends in the background). Only drawback is that it doesn't do POP (but I avoid POP whenever I can and I'm now POP-free).

I recommend that you give it a serious look if you haven't.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Versamail looks great and its free. At first I had a ton of problems, kept reseting the phone every time into versamail. I read here somewhere that there are some files to delete. I used my own method and just turned of the versamail sync and it works fine now. The sync is useless anyways.
    I started with VersaMail and after the attachment file not clearing itself corretly and having issues with VersaMail not being very robust when it came to deleteing messages off the server (it says it did it, the emails on the Treo are gone, then when you check the email again, they all come back. This happends 25% of the time), I went back to Snappermail and am a happy camper

VersaMail
    Pros
    In ROM
    Intergrated well

Cons
    Attachemnt file will not always clear correct and eats up memory
    Does not always autodelete emails from the server correctly

PROS:
    Snapper
    More powerful then VersaMail IMHO
    Can delete of the sever w/o issues

CoNS:
    Takes up space (not in ROM)
    No Auto Complete for the "TO" field

That's it from off the top of my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi

VersaMail
    Pros
    In ROM
    Intergrated well

Cons
    Attachemnt file will not always clear correct and eats up memory
    Does not always autodelete emails from the server correctly

PROS:
    Snapper
    More powerful then VersaMail IMHO
    Can delete of the sever w/o issues

CoNS:
    Takes up space (not in ROM)
    No Auto Complete for the "TO" field

That's it from off the top of my head
    regarding the no auto-complete for the to field for snapper mail. it does have it and i use it all the time.

when entering a name in the to, cc or bcc fields you can do a look up from your address book by hitting the space bar. you can enter the search string just like when you are looking for a phone number: e.g. first name, last name, first initial & last name. and you don't need to enter the complete name either, just enough to discriminate from the other entries.

so for example, if you are composing an email to jack smith; in the to field you can enter "jsmi" or "jac" or "smi" and snapper will bring up a list of all your contacts that match.

i find this a very usefule feature.

and, on the snapper vs versa mail; the reason i stayed with snapper mail when i moved up to the 650 is that i need to be able to send email from several pop accounts and this was not possible from versa mail. i like sending my personal mail out from my personal accnt and my work email from that account.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast