1.    #1  
    I went here and believe it or not, I could not continue. I want to install the sound patch, but I'm stupid when it comes to palm. I've only had this thing a couple weeks. I have the card, but I know nothing about the file system of the palm OS or how to manipulate it. If I need a 3rd market (free) program, what is best? So, a step by step for a really smart/stupid guy to install the sound patch would be awesome!
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 01/12/2005 at 08:04 PM. Reason: link removed
    Sho nuff.

1. Do a hotsync (and/or use a backup program like TealBackup or BackupBuddyVFS) to backup your Treo.

2. Download the files for the custom ROM you want to install from this page.

3. You need to get the custom ROM files (which consist of two two folders called ROM and PALM) onto the SD card. The easiest way is to use a USB card reader. Alternatively, if you are using Missing Sync, you can mount the SD card that way and move the folders on there. There are also utilities that will let you do file transfer over Bluetooth. However you do it, get those two folders into the root directory of the card. If there is already a folder there named "Palm", rename it to something else before you put the custom ROM folders onto the card.

4. Plug your Treo into the charger.

5. Insert the card into the slot on the Treo.

6. Tap the ROMUpdater

7. If you can't see the cursor on the bottom line of the screen, tap that bottom blank line with your stylus so you can see the cursor.

8. Type "rev cvt2" (without the quotes) and hit the return key.

9. Type "ace" (without the quotes) and hit the return key.

10. When it tells you to do a hard reset, do one. (Reset the phone using the stylus. When the bar starts to move across the bottom of the screen, push and hold the red phone button. When the circle Palm logo comes up, release the red phone button. It will tell you to press the up key to erase all data...do it.)

11. Your Treo will restart and have you calibrate the touchscreen and select whether or not you want to use network time.

12. Re-load all your data and applications with a hotsync, using the backup program, or manually.
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 01/13/2005 at 11:32 AM.
    Another stupid question, if you already Verizonied your phone, does any of the ROM updates delete any of the settings you did to get it to work in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller
    I went here and believe it or not, I could not continue. I want to install the sound patch, but I'm stupid when it comes to palm. I've only had this thing a couple weeks. I have the card, but I know nothing about the file system of the palm OS or how to manipulate it. If I need a 3rd market (free) program, what is best? So, a step by step for a really smart/stupid guy to install the sound patch would be awesome!
    If I were you I'd stay away from this patch for now. It's not for beginners and you could end up with a useless Treo. If you are not happy with the sound quality of your Treo, return it or wait for the official patch from Palm.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Hardly anyone can hear me clearly while talking on my 650. Does the rom upgrade really help quite a bit? After you do the hard reset and want to restore everything, do you just do another hotsync? Is that the way to restore the 650?
    For me the voice quality update made a big difference. People complained that I sounded far away or like I was "in a cave". With the update, people say the sound is very clear.

You can restore with a hotsync, but people often find that not everything goes back to exactly the way it was before. A better way to go (if you don't want to reinstall each app manually) is to use a backup program like BackupBuddyVFS or BackupMan. I have done backups with both after hard resets, and have been very pleased. The last time I did a BBVFS backup, the web browser was even still on the last web page I had been browsing!

There are a few programs I have found do not reinstall well or at all for me via BackupMan or BBVFS....Voice Dial and VeriChat. I just skip those in the restore and reinstall them separately.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    update worked for my very easy. But what should we do with the Palm folder we renamed? Leave it rename or remove it?
    Will Shadows rom #3 with DUN still allow me to use the PDANet software I purchased?
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    update worked for my very easy. But what should we do with the Palm folder we renamed? Leave it rename or remove it?
    Delete the ROM and PALM folders that you used for the update, and rename the original PALM folder (the one you renamed to something else before the update) back to PALM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    Will Shadows rom #3 with DUN still allow me to use the PDANet software I purchased?
    Yes.
    I installed rom #3 and the dialer and bt car update. I love the notepad app. If for some reason I ever wanted to use Business Connection can I still install the client on my phone now that Get BC is gone? How? Thanks.
    I installed the "Rom Update w/DUN" and it went well. I restored with BackupBuddyVFS 3.07 and that went fine.

I am using "PCS Business Connection" for accessing my work email.

If I install the "Shadowmite ROM #3", will I lose the "PCS Business Connection" program and won't be able to access my work email anymore?

Or will I just lose the "Get BC" program and the "PCS Business Connection" program will still work and be installed after I do a restore?

Do you have to install the "Original Sprint Firmware" before you install each ROM or can you install ROM #3 and then ROM #5?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye
    Do you have to install the "Original Sprint Firmware" before you install each ROM or can you install ROM #3 and then ROM #5?
    I have the same question...
    No, you can just install ROM 5 directly. It completely replaces ROM 3 (or whatever you have on there beforehand).
    Quote Originally Posted by MacJunkie
    Sho nuff.

3. You need to get the custom ROM files (which consist of two two folders called ROM and PALM) onto the SD card.....
    I must be REAL slow but..
    I downloaded the custom rom zip #3 but I dont see either ROM or PALM in the zip file.
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    I must be REAL slow but..
    I downloaded the custom rom zip #3 but I dont see either ROM or PALM in the zip file.

You unzipped the file? I've tried several of Shadowmite's ROM packages, and all had the requisite ROM and PALM directories. I don't think you're slow, but you're apparently not looking in the right place. What exactly is in the zip you downloaded?