Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1.    #1  
    According to the IT department, our corporate email doesn't have an IMAP server and POP3 requires a VPN client (I use NeoTeris on my laptop). Therefore, I am unable to receive my company email on my Treo. It doesn't seem like the IT guys really want to help me out anyway.

    However, I do know for a fact that our company supports Blackberry devices. Does that mean that I could use those settings on my Treo? Or does Blackberry use a completey proprietary way to retreive email? If not, how could I extract the settings from a Blackberry device that is already configured to retrieve corporate mail?
  2. #2  
    your co. most likely uses a bes to allow bb access. p1 has been promising bes integration, but not yet available to my knowledge. check other threads for more info on that. until then, the bb piggyback will not work.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply... I was just doing some research on this and it seems like PalmSource was supposed to be releasing something called "Blackberry Connect." Guess it hasn't happened yet.

    How does GoodLink work? Is it basically like Blackberry?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Magubbi
    According to the IT department, our corporate email doesn't have an IMAP server and POP3 requires a VPN client (I use NeoTeris on my laptop). Therefore, I am unable to receive my company email on my Treo. It doesn't seem like the IT guys really want to help me out anyway.

    However, I do know for a fact that our company supports Blackberry devices. Does that mean that I could use those settings on my Treo? Or does Blackberry use a completey proprietary way to retreive email? If not, how could I extract the settings from a Blackberry device that is already configured to retrieve corporate mail?
    I have had the same issue and hopes. I work for a monolith of company (a bank) that uses Blackberry Enterprise Servers (BES) for email to BBs. They are paranoid about security (which is understandable, what with the dough), but the result is that they are petrified by new technology with potential vulnerabilities.

    Goodlink requires a seperate server and software. While there may be legitimate benefits to it, getting an IT department that is paralyzed by security fears to implement it, is a very long shot. I've also looked at other alternatives, but given the constraint of a technology department that is terrified by technology, I believe my only hope lies with Blackberry Connect.

    My very basic understanding is that Blackberry Connect software will allow a Treo to behave like a BB stand alone device. My ignorant hope is that I will be able to, with minimal help from IT, punch assorted codes and PINs into the Blackberry Connect software and get the Treo to look like a Blackberry and work with our existing systems -- all with minimal input from our IT people.

    Finally, my naive hope is that Blackberry Connect will be released with the GSM version of the phone. I don't have any basis for expecting this, except that they announced plans for Blackberry Connect for Palm OS eight damn months ago, and they have to release it eventually (don't they?).

    Any information or comments supporting or undermining this logic would be appreciated. The hope hinges on two main assumptions:
    • Blackberry Connect would allow a Treo work w/ existing BESs, just like a BB, and without substantial support from IT.
    • Blackberry Connect may be released w/ the GSM phones, or shortly thereafter.
  5. #5  
    Oh, and Goodlink is supposedly a good alternative to BB because it has true "push" email and can be used on a variety of handhelds. The challenge is getting a tech dept to become comfortable with it and to spend $ on it (software, server). If you can clear that hurdle, it would probably be a great corporate email option for a treo.
  6. #6  
    I use Dataviz's Inbox to Go to solve this problem. It runs on my work computer all the time (which means I have to leave my work computer on and Outlook running- but I do lock the display). As mail comes into my box, it basically uploads it to a dataviz proxy server or something.

    All I know is that whether I hot synch or wireless synch my mail, it always works. It has some attachment support (actually, it has BETTER attachment support than a Blackberry) too.

    I've been using it since my Treo 270 and think its pretty nice. Its an easy way to get mail from an Exchange server or the like which has no way to be accessed from outside the corporate LAN.

    http://www.dataviz.com
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    I use Dataviz's Inbox to Go to solve this problem. It runs on my work computer all the time (which means I have to leave my work computer on and Outlook running- but I do lock the display). As mail comes into my box, it basically uploads it to a dataviz proxy server or something.

    All I know is that whether I hot synch or wireless synch my mail, it always works. It has some attachment support (actually, it has BETTER attachment support than a Blackberry) too.

    I've been using it since my Treo 270 and think its pretty nice. Its an easy way to get mail from an Exchange server or the like which has no way to be accessed from outside the corporate LAN.

    http://www.dataviz.com
    I've heard there's software like that. I also saw a fix somewhere on TC where you can get a program that 1) IMs your treo when there's new email, 2) automatically syncs your email when the IM is received, and then 3) deletes the IM. Basically jury-rigged push email.

    Unfortunately, I left out one other problem/constraint I face: securities regulations dictate that I can't use outside email (yahoo mail, hotmail, gmail: all blocked). Compliance gnomes read my email, so we are required to use the corporate system. This also means we can't forward work-related email to personal accounts. Bottom line: I'm pretty boxed in.
  8. #8  
    What's wrong with Sprint's Business Connection? It has "push" technology and I use it everyday, just fine.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  9. #9  
    I don't think the Dataviz software violates that IT mandate at all. Call them and ask. I'm pretty sure its secure.

    We are a health system. Not that I get anybody's health information doing what I do, but HIPPA security compliance is a big deal here. And Inbox to Go isn't an issue.
  10. #10  
    I think the excuse would be from the email surveilance side. If I got an email routed to my treo and replied to it, would the reply be routed back through my company's server (and therefore logged and saved)?

    If that's the case, I might try to fight that battle.
  11. #11  
    Yes. here's how I think it works.

    1.Email comes to my desktop computer at work
    2.Its then sent to the Dataviz proxy server
    3. I download it wirelessly
    4. I respond to it wirelessly
    5. The Datavix proxy server sends the mail to my desktop computer at work
    6. The mail is then sent
    7. Mail I sent from my Treo shows up in my Outlook's Sent Items. Therefore it'd be tracked. But I don't believe any of the routing from the desktop to treo and back would be in the email (I can send you one if you want to pull apart the headers). I'm pretty sure that happens outside the realm of the message itself.

    We have big firewalls setup here. Not only are no ports available for me to use to come in from the Internet, but I'm not even allowed to fire up traffic on unallowed ports without prior setup. For example, in order for me to Terminal Service into our web server in Miami, I needed to request that I be allowed access to the web server IP via port 3389. And this ONLY works on my pc. If I wanted to do it on another PC, I'd have to request it for there too.

    Even with all that security, this product works fine for me. I've been using it for over a year here. I don't think its doing anything on the down low. I'd recommend giving Dataviz a call and speaking with them directly about your concerns.
  12. #12  
    The downfall of BlackBerry's JavaConnect, or whatever the final names ends up as- it is just the same as a blackberry- meaning that the blackberry is a means of providing a java VM to the software, and the software that runs on it cannot go down below the layers of the VM to access the radio and other settings... Now on a blackberry there is no functionality below the VM- on a Treo there is... one of the problems i'm facing with my company (a financial giant as well) is that they want control over what people do and dont do on the device- meaning they can control only what you can do in the blackberry client and not what you do in the palm side... for what it's worth we're evaluating Credant Technology's Mobile Guardian- those who went to the roadshows have seen it.

    the easiest way is to use a redirector- like BCPE or dataviz or whatever... the stipulation is that your computer is always on- for us mobile users with only laptops, doesn't work so well. but the push is from the desktop side out- most firewalls are designed to allow everything out and only what went out to come back in, unless specifically programed not to... that's why those solutions work- there is no outside force entering your computer on its own will- your computer makes all the handshakes. the mail you send out from a desktop redirector solution goes through your normal mail system, not an outside party.

    btw- goodlink is a tough sell especially to financial institutions because it didn't score well on FIPS tests...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum

    btw- goodlink is a tough sell especially to financial institutions because it didn't score well on FIPS tests...
    Actually, Goodlink is FIPS certified
  14. #14  
    I believe it was FIPS level 1 certified- to the security folks at my company- that's not enough.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJH2
    I have had the same issue and hopes. I work for a monolith of company (a bank) that uses Blackberry Enterprise Servers (BES) for email to BBs. They are paranoid about security (which is understandable, what with the dough), but the result is that they are petrified by new technology with potential vulnerabilities.

    Goodlink requires a seperate server and software. While there may be legitimate benefits to it, getting an IT department that is paralyzed by security fears to implement it, is a very long shot. I've also looked at other alternatives, but given the constraint of a technology department that is terrified by technology, I believe my only hope lies with Blackberry Connect.

    My very basic understanding is that Blackberry Connect software will allow a Treo to behave like a BB stand alone device. My ignorant hope is that I will be able to, with minimal help from IT, punch assorted codes and PINs into the Blackberry Connect software and get the Treo to look like a Blackberry and work with our existing systems -- all with minimal input from our IT people.

    Finally, my naive hope is that Blackberry Connect will be released with the GSM version of the phone. I don't have any basis for expecting this, except that they announced plans for Blackberry Connect for Palm OS eight damn months ago, and they have to release it eventually (don't they?).

    Any information or comments supporting or undermining this logic would be appreciated. The hope hinges on two main assumptions:
    • Blackberry Connect would allow a Treo work w/ existing BESs, just like a BB, and without substantial support from IT.
    • Blackberry Connect may be released w/ the GSM phones, or shortly thereafter.
    A couple of things. Goodlink has the same security model as BB, so if you are running BB with no major security concerns, then GoodLink shouldn't be an issue.

    BBConnect, from my understanding, will not allow cradleless sync of of anything beside email (ie contacts and calendars) and will not offer over-the-air deployment. There are some other shortcomings from an IT perspective that may scare them off BB Connect. That, and you hit on a key point: it was announced 8 months ago and hasn't seen the light of day since.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    I believe it was FIPS level 1 certified- to the security folks at my company- that's not enough.
    FIPS 140-2 certified, level 1 which is the same as Blackberry

    http://csrc.nist.gov/cryptval/140-1/1401val2004.htm
  17. #17  
    Then the guy overseeing security on my project is smoking crack

    -edit-
    Actually Good is 140-2 L1
    RIM is 140-2 L2

    however the guy doing security is still smoking crack...
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 01/13/2005 at 12:41 PM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  18.    #18  
    the easiest way is to use a redirector- like BCPE or dataviz or whatever... the stipulation is that your computer is always on- for us mobile users with only laptops, doesn't work so well.
    Yeah, I use a laptop so this isn't really an option... I guess it sounds like my only hope (like RJH2) is to wait for Blackberry Connect to finally be released. I wonder how it will be implemented...
  19. #19  
    Great info guys. I really appreciate it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    Then the guy overseeing security on my project is smoking crack

    -edit-
    Actually Good is 140-2 L1
    RIM is 140-2 L2

    however the guy doing security is still smoking crack...
    hmmm...made me go back and look at the listing from the FIPS list. BES is level 1 while a couple of their devices (5800 series) are lvl 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions