Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "POP3 requires a VPN client"

There is an option to use a VPN and then get at the POP via VersaMail. Snapper should work too though I've never tried it through a VPN.
    I also work for a very large company (HMO) that only supports Blackberry. Today I went into Notes and set up an agent that forwards all of my Email to my home account, which is automatically retrieved by my Treo every 30 minutes. It is certainly not a perfect solution, I have no access to my calendar and any responses are coming from my personal account, but it sure beats no access, and I don't need to leave my system on. Great thread, by the way.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I understand the workaround with forwarding email to a personal account - I am banned from installing software so my options are limited - I was thinking that I could forward everything to a POP account and from their either retrieve it remotely or from my home Outlook set-up. Can't figure out the calendar part or contacts though....
    Quote Originally Posted by alfanatic
    I also work for a very large company (HMO) that only supports Blackberry. Today I went into Notes and set up an agent that forwards all of my Email to my home account, which is automatically retrieved by my Treo every 30 minutes. It is certainly not a perfect solution, I have no access to my calendar and any responses are coming from my personal account, but it sure beats no access, and I don't need to leave my system on. Great thread, by the way.
    Unfortunately, at my company forwarding internal email to an external email account is a no-no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magubbi
    Yeah, I use a laptop so this isn't really an option... I guess it sounds like my only hope (like RJH2) is to wait for Blackberry Connect to finally be released. I wonder how it will be implemented...
    What?! You have a T650 and you STILL use a laptop?

You gotta make a choice there! ;>

My laptop is now relegated to my home coffee table where I use it to browse the web and stuff once in a while. I'll take it with on trips on occassion, but that's about it.

If that's the case, then I think you're out of luck. I don't know of any way that you could either check your corporate mail from remote right now. And since you don't have a computer sleeper cell on the inside of the network, I don't know of any way to forward yourself messages in a reliable manner. I mean, sure you could forward your messages to your personal account, but you can't very well reply to them as jasonthedork@aol.com. Its just not professional.

In your rare and particlar case, I would probably advise ditching the T650 and going with a Blackberry. Besides, if you have to carry a laptop with you all the time anyway, then the additional functionality of the Treo is pretty much lost.
    Yet another potential option: ActiveSync ?

I understand that this comes installed on a Treo and works directly with an exchange server (which many corporations run). Anyone know how a) this would work (how the emails route to and fro a 650 using ActiveSync), and b) what the security and complexity hurdles might be at a large corporation?

It sounds like I'm in the same boat as dumas :
    • big corp.
    • running exchange servers and bb servers
    • security is paramount
    • can't install software on my desktop (nixing Sprint's Bus Connection and Verizon's WirelessSync)
    • can't forward email to a personal account (nixing most workarounds)

Other options, like Good tech, would probably work, but there's just no way I (or people in similar situations) would be able to single-handedly convince a large corp. or dept. to go this route anytime soon. So I'm looking for something that might work with existing installed servers etc.

Also, really appreciate the help guys. This is a great source of info for those of us who are technologically shackled by a large corporation but curious enough to want a better way.
    ActiveSync only works with Exchange 2003. You'd have to see if that's available from your IS dept.
    I guess it's unlikely, but is there a way to tell what we're running by looking at my outlook settings?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by TimPhillips
    "POP3 requires a VPN client"

There is an option to use a VPN and then get at the POP via VersaMail. Snapper should work too though I've never tried it through a VPN.
    Can anyone verify if this can be done? And if so, can anyone provide details on this?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12