1.    #1  
    i have been debating between a treo 650, pocket pc and a blackberry for a while now. i have decided on the Treo 650 because it seems to have everything i am looking for. i have searched the internet looking for a few more answers about the device and have gotten mixed answers so i figured i would post here to see what info i can get out of you guys.

1) Is verizon and sprint the only 2 carriers in the US?

2) I could care less about the device being a phone, do you have to order a phone plan or can you do just data?

3) Is a GPRS signal required for data transfer?

4) I have read that there is a hack for wi-fi. is this true and does it work with WEP?

5) Can the device receive mail automatically or do you have to "fetch" it?

6) Can you install putty or some type of ssh program on it?

7) Where is the cheapest you have seen the device for? Cheapest i have seen is $319 right on this site.

8) can you log in to icq, aol, yahoo and msn for instant messaging?

thanks in advance. i want to get a device asap.
    Sprint is the only carrier as of now. The cheapest option is to use an integrated voice and data plan. they start around $55 and that gives you unlimited data transfer (as long as you don't get too carried away). sprint uses cdma tech so no gprs. 1xrtt or vision is their superior equivelant. wifi fir the treo is rough.

in all honesty a ppc with integrated wifi sounds to me like it is a better bet...

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I think you should look to Verizon 's EVDO Data plan it is the fastest available.
    If you don't care about the phone why look at a treo. You would do better with jsut a data card.
    If you want a pocket option, you may want to look a the HP or PPC option for the features you are looking for.

I am sure others will give you additional info.
  4.    #4  
    pocket pc needs a wi-fi signal for internet. i want to be able to get email/internet where ever i can get a phone signal.

when i say i could care less about phone capability just means that i already have a cell phone with at&t and probably would not use the treo as phone much.
    Treo 650 is the only phone I have and it works great. The beauty of treo 650 is that I only have to carry one device and it meets all my needs. Personally, wifi is over-rated and Sprint's 1XRTT works just fine for me. As for email, it is more a software issue than a hardware issue. Treo can handle both "pull" and "push" emails, it all depends on which email app you want to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL
    i have been debating between a treo 650, pocket pc and a blackberry for a while now. i have decided on the Treo 650 because it seems to have everything i am looking for. i have searched the internet looking for a few more answers about the device and have gotten mixed answers so i figured i would post here to see what info i can get out of you guys.

2) I could care less about the device being a phone, do you have to order a phone plan or can you do just data?

4) I have read that there is a hack for wi-fi. is this true and does it work with WEP?

7) Where is the cheapest you have seen the device for? Cheapest i have seen is $319 right on this site.

Cingular Release Between Jan 27 and 31.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubLdribL

1) Is verizon and sprint the only 2 carriers in the US? Sprint

5) Can the device receive mail automatically or do you have to "fetch" it? Push or Pull

7) Where is the cheapest you have seen the device for? Cheapest i have seen is $319 right on this site. www.oti-solutions.com/real.html (best deal)

8) can you log in to icq, aol, yahoo and msn for instant messaging? Yes
    you need to buy a program like verichat for instant messaging. it's $20 yearly or something along those lines.
    I think if you wait for the cingular release of the Treo 650 and just swap your sim and make it your primary phone you will be quite happy. To catch a couple unanswered questions. I believe the wifi is so experimental that it requires hard resets to even use (I could be wrong, haven't followed up quite recently). Also, there is a good SSH client called TuSSH. It is a bit slow since the internet connection isn't the greatest, however I have used it for some critical server operations. I think you should seriously go with the Treo.
    Have you looked at Verizon's Audiovox XV6600? Sounds like it might just be right up your alley. I'm testing one right now and found the problem with it is that it's just not a good phone in my opinion. But as an internet device with the Broadband EVDO network it's pretty darn snappy.
    Palm SSH: http://www.sealiesoftware.com/pssh/
    I'm assuming that'll work on a 650, haven't tested it, tho.

There's a deal in the forums where you can get the vision plan free. I use the treo as a dialup modem and it works great, you just have to do a reset when your done (I keep a program on my treo that I know will reset it). It's the same speed as those pcmcia internet card service that cost $89 a month. Getting a PPC with internet will cost you around $30/month.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pmm12210
    I think if you wait for the cingular release of the Treo 650 and just swap your sim and make it your primary phone you will be quite happy. To catch a couple unanswered questions. I believe the wifi is so experimental that it requires hard resets to even use (I could be wrong, haven't followed up quite recently). Also, there is a good SSH client called TuSSH. It is a bit slow since the internet connection isn't the greatest, however I have used it for some critical server operations. I think you should seriously go with the Treo.
    thanks for all the answers.

yeah, that is probably a good idea to just swap out my SIMM. will an AT&T SIMM work in a Cingular device? i know they are the same company now, but my SIMM is about 6 months old. just not sure if it will work in a new Cingular Treo