1.    #1  
    I am attaching step by step instructions on how to configure HotSyncing over Bluetooth to a computer running Linux. Should also work for *BSD, but I don't use anything else so I haven't tested it.

Please do not send me personal email, but reply to this thread if you have questions or comments.

-Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I have completed the steps above without successs.

I am using a Sprint Treo650 with SUSE 9.2.

I can connect just fine with Bluetooth but it never connects to anything else (Web, jpilot, etc).
    It just sits there and times out.

What am I missing? Is there anyway to turn off the Suse firewall?

-Steve
    I've seen this elsewhere as well, I can paste a link if someone wants me to, I don't want to step on toes. But I have a question that wasn't answered there or in your document, unless I'm being obtuse.

Will this allow for automatic syncing without any interaction with the computer? Such as right now I have a hotplug script that runs jpilot-sync, so I just hit the hotsync button/app and it's going.

Perhaps a service which keeps jpilot-sync running waiting for any connection forever would work, once it completes, it runs itself again. It's something you might add to your document anyway, as it's nice to be able to just hit the button and be done.

Another thing I'm curious about; is it possible on the Treo 650 to set up an automatic sync, such as I get home and sit down and it's already starting to sync as soon as it's in range?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Will this allow for automatic syncing without any interaction with the computer? Such as right now I have a hotplug script that runs jpilot-sync, so I just hit the hotsync button/app and it's going.

Perhaps a service which keeps jpilot-sync running waiting for any connection forever would work, once it completes, it runs itself again. It's something you might add to your document anyway, as it's nice to be able to just hit the button and be done.
    Look at KDE's kpilot or GNOME's gnome-pilot. The last time I looked at gnome-pilot it didn't let you sync with a networked device (which is the way I sync over Bluetooth). I think you should be able to set something up though. I don't know anything about jpilot. At the very least you should be able to script something that just keeps a sync program listening for HotSync requests.

Another thing I'm curious about; is it possible on the Treo 650 to set up an automatic sync, such as I get home and sit down and it's already starting to sync as soon as it's in range?
    I think you could do the same thing here by scripting it. The problem would be that something needs to set off the HotSync. You'd need something on the Treo to initiate, and use the same setup as above for a sync daemon.

-Chris
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by techdragon
    I have completed the steps above without successs.

I am using a Sprint Treo650 with SUSE 9.2.

I can connect just fine with Bluetooth but it never connects to anything else (Web, jpilot, etc).
    It just sits there and times out.

What am I missing? Is there anyway to turn off the Suse firewall?

-Steve
    You need to tell jpilot to listen for a network sync. That's what the "net:any" in the command "pilot-xfer -p net:any" is for.

To use the web over Bluetooth from your Treo you'll most likely need to set up NAT using iptables.

-Chris
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I have a hotplug script that runs jpilot-sync, so I just hit the hotsync button/app and it's going.
    I'd love to set this up - care to share?

EDIT: I've managed to get this working via /etc/ppp/ip-up.local (because bluetooth connects via ppp), but hotplug would be cleaner....
    Last edited by plaut; 03/30/2005 at 01:29 PM.
    I'm happy to see you AND it's a Treo in my pocket!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard

To use the web over Bluetooth from your Treo you'll most likely need to set up NAT using iptables.

-Chris
    I have been using DUN and Reverse DUN (using IP Forwarding) over BT and it works great. Also hotsyncing over the bluetooth PPP connection is working great with kpilot to sync with Kontact. I am using Mandrake 10.1 Official and though i had to build pilot-link and kpilot, its working perfectly.

- Ankur.
    Well, hotplug AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $only$ $works$ $from$ $USB$, $but$ $perhaps$ $there$'$s$ $a$ $BT$ $hotplug$ $as$ $well$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $to$ $be$ $honest$, $but$ $look$ $in$ /$etc$/$hotplug$ $and$ $see$ $if$ $you$ $see$ $anything$ $for$ $BlueTooth$ $in$ $there$, $if$ $so$ $you$ $might$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $add$ $an$ $entry$ $that$ $detects$ $the$ $Palm$ $connection$ $and$ $launches$.

Basically hotplug just runs through appropriate scripts checking to see if any of them knows what plugged in; if they do, does some action. For my setup (usb cable sync) the scripts detect my Treo, run a visor script, which runs jpilot-sync.

When I get a BT dongle I'll certainly try to get this working in an automated fashion and post about it, but it might be a while. They're not expensive, but if I buy anything for a month the wife will kill me. (read: just bought the 650)