1.    #1  
    Greetings,

Like many I'm waiting for the GSM Treo 650 [I'm on Cingular in Orange County, CA - actually, somewhat near Anaheim, that's Anaheim, NOT Los Angeles, no where near Los Angeles, but ANAHEIM - sorry, irrelevant baseball tangent]

OK, back on track - I'm waiting for the 650 to use on Cingular, but I'm a bit worried as to what outrageous price they're going to set for the 650 initially. I need to convince my wife that it's "worth it" to fork over a pile of cash to 'upgrade' to the 650 right away. The best I could come up with is that since I've been asked to teach a class at the local university this coming semster, I "need" the 650 to help me with PowerPoint presentations (I know, somewhat weak, but I'm desperate here). This is where I'd appreciate some help.

Could one do a PowerPoint presentation directly from a 650 "well" (anybody have any experience with it)? Any lecture I give would be utilizing a standard LCD projector with the usual inputs in the back, and the presentation would be created on a desktop PC and loaded onto a SD card. With the new connector on the 650, I'm assuming that one could output a presentation to USB utilizing the included cable? Or better yet, does PalmOne have a 650 connector cable that outputs to a standard computer SVGA plug (to plug into the projector)? Or even BETTER YET, is there some uber-geeky way to do the presentation wirelessly utilizing Bluetooth?? Are there standalone Bluetooth wireless adapters that could utilize an input on the LCD projector? Sorry about my noobishness when it comes to PowerPoint presentations, I've only done a couple straight from a laptop in the past.

Any help, instructions, ideas or advice would be appreciated; thanks in advance for your time!
    I wouldn't want to create a PP presentation on a 650. Making text changes might not be too bad, but check the Dataviz site.

http://www.dataviz.com/products/docu...ium/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Eeevil
    Or even BETTER YET, is there some uber-geeky way to do the presentation wirelessly utilizing Bluetooth?? Are there standalone Bluetooth wireless adapters that could utilize an input on the LCD projector?
    If you have a Mac, then you can use Salling Clicker to control the powerpoint show with Bluetooth. The Mac drives the LCD projector, and the BT Palm sends forward/back commands to the Mac. You can even show the slides to your audience on screen and the presentation notes to yourself on the Palm.

Salling Clicker will also let you control iTunes and other apps.

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

-Jeff DLB
    People have been using Power point from palms for years, It works great. I have not done if for a long time, but used to do it when I had the Visor. There has to be an application using the sync cord for sure. Bluetooth would be really cool.

Oh, BTW I am in The OC too. City obvious from the name.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    To make presentations from the treo 600/650, you will need to use presenter to go by MARGI Systems. It is a presentation kit that includes a remote vga adapter and software to make it all work. Make sure you get the SD version for the Treo.

Good Luck!

John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnstad
    To make presentations from the treo 600/650, you will need to use presenter to go by MARGI Systems. It is a presentation kit that includes a remote vga adapter and software to make it all work. Make sure you get the SD version for the Treo.

Good Luck!

John
    Their latest list of compatible devices lists the T600, but note the list hasn't been updated since June 2004. I bought the system to work with the Tungsten, and worked great. Haven't tried it on the 650 yet, but will soon, and report back.

Margi Support Page
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the good info everyone, I appreciate it! Jazzi, thanks for your response, I'll be curious what your expereinces with the Treo 650 will be.

Margi's 'presenter-to-go' seems like the product that many are using for this application (cnet editor's choice, etc). But at $200 it seems a bit steep. I'm a bit confused as to why this can't be done for less $$? If the Treo 650 is going to ship with Dataviz's Documents To Go 7.0 included, then the ability to view (even edit) PowerPoint files is already present on the phone. Thus I'm figuring all I need is a cable or connector to output the image (slide presentation) to a LCD projector. Is this really that difficult to do? Where only a $200 SD cable connector will do the trick? I guess I figured it was easier to output an image from the Treo?

Any less expensive solutions/ideas would be welcome, or if somebody much more treo-literate than I could explain why it's so hard for the treo to 'natively' do what I'm asking that would be welcome as well.

Thanks again (and in advance) for everyone's help
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I've been researching the Presenter to Go as well but haven't spoken to anyone who's actually used it. I think it is expensive because its a total package-- SD adapter, VGA cable, remote control and software too.

You should be able to find PTG cheaper on ebay- I just did a search.

What I'm really curious about is how the graphics and transitions come across on the screen? That would be nice to see a screen cap somehow.

You know, I just bought the wireless keyboard, and with a monitor connected, its a really a computer replacement, in form if not in function!