1.    #1  
    Just curious if anyone has any updates?

Cheers and thanks
    I Spoke with Adam at the Rogers store and he said 2nd quarter. Basically he thought it would take 2 months from the release of the GSM in the US, but really he's just guessing and there is no information. I'm not even going to bother checking with Rogers until it's out in the US and has shown up on the P1 international sites, specifically Canada.

btw no one really knows when it'll be released in the US even at this point, although this thread is the best source. (Last few pages contain some relevant info.) Best guess at this point is Jan 25th according to Cingular B2B reps but who knows.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...071#post522071

cheers
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  3.    #3  
    What's your take on the 650 with all the poo-pooing and the not-so-poo-pooing???

Are you pouncing on one when it arrives here? Have you looked at any other alternatives (pocketpc devices etc.).

Any idea of a price tag north of the border? I'm guessing $800ish ???
    I'm almost definitely getting a 650. I've done a couple of months of shopping around now and I've looked at PocketPC, Symbian, Blackberry and overall the 650 looks like the best device for my needs. My criteria include a keyboard, single device, good for email, expandable with 3rd party software, and Java support. (currently I've got a iPaq which I pair with a bluetooth phone for connectivity and I'm trying to get away from the 2 device solution. I'm also dissatified with handwriting recognition on my iPaq and I want a better input method.)

I looked at the SonyEriccson P910 and the keyboard is crappy and it's pricey. I looked at the Nokia 9500 and it's a brick, plus it's pricey, the screen isn't a touchscreen, plus with Symbian the choice of software is much more limited.

On the PocketPC side I've looked at the MPX and it has a really slow processor and only 32mb of RAM which for PocketPC is much worse than 32mb for PalmOS. I've looked at the PDA2K (identified by many names actually) and it's a bit big, (one of the things I don't like about my iPaq right now) it lacks EDGE and it seems like the slide-out keyboard can be a bit inconvienent, not to mention the fact that it's pricey. I've also looked at the BenQ P50 but recent price reports also put it as expensive and it also lacks EDGEl

A friend of mine has a Clie and it's only got 16mb of memory which he says is plenty. Add an SD and Zlauncher and I think memory is a non-issue for most users. I expect a ROM patch for the sound issues, maybe by the time the GSM is available. I do wish the 650 had wifi, but on the other hand I wouldn't use wifi that often and it's not a deal-breaker for me. I also wish they had put Java support in ROM, but I can load so that's also not a deal-breaker.

As for price of the 650 in Canada, it will be supported by Rogers and you'll probably be able to get it as cheap as $499 with carrier discount. (Sign a 2 or 3 year contract.) Without contract I think $800 sounds about right, maybe $750. Do you know what the 600 used to sell for when it came out because it looks like the price has dropped on the 600 and the 650 will sell for what the 600 used to sell at.

If I didn't get a 650 I would still consider the Nokia 9500, the PDA2K, or BenQ P50, but here's where the form-factor of the 650 wins. (Except maybe the P50 I recently considered. Overall though I think I want EDGE more than wifi.)
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I'm having trouble finding one that beats the 650 ... pda2k's seem to all be around the g-note range. I just want a basic PDA/phone.

I'm a big fan of PALM OS ... I currently to have a Tungsten E which totally suits my needs. I just want to simply marry it to a phone. When I saw the 600 I thought it was the ticket but the screen res was just too crappy... I just couldn't give that up (I like to have a few pictures of the fam and stuff)

I'm not really concerned about Wifi because I just won't use it for e-mail and/or surfing... I've got a computer at work, at home and a laptop for the road... the latter two are toys only since my work stays at the office.

Not sure how much the 600's were... right now Rogers is asking $650 with no term; $550 w/ 1 YR; $350 w/ 2 YR;$300 w/ 3 YR... pretty offside in my mind.

I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground... I am looking at ditching Telus if Rogers gets the 650 for a reasonable price but I still hate the thought of signing any term deal.
    I ruled out the 600 for the same reason and so when I heard about the 650 and the 320x320 screen, not to mention bluetooth I was happy. (I like using bluetooth to sync and it's nice have the option to wireless use your phone a modem for your laptop when traveling.)

I understand the hesitation to sign a contract. The way I see it though, they have a penality to cancel early which in Rogers case is $20 per month early to a maximum of $200 so I'll sign the contract if I'm going to save $200 on the phone and then if I don't break early I've saved some money and if I do break early I've paid what I would have paid to get the phone without the contract so who cares. Anyway I'm happy with the service and coverage from Rogers and since they acquired Microcell (Fido) coverage has improved here downtown Toronto. (Fido was know to have the best coverage in city centers.)

As for price I'm not positive but I think the 600 used to be about $200 more than the current prices you're quoting so that's what I think the 650 will cost.
  7.    #7  
    Bluetooth does appeal to me as well because I like using mapopolis and I'm thinking of a GPS for it. My brother in Ottawa uses his GPS on his T2 all the time... it's pretty slick.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAM_CDN
    Bluetooth does appeal to me as well because I like using mapopolis and I'm thinking of a GPS for it. My brother in Ottawa uses his GPS on his T2 all the time... it's pretty slick.
    I love map software on a PDA. A GPS would be extra fun.
  9.    #9  
    MS Streets & Trips is pretty cool as well (for my laptop)... I'll be getting a GPS that will be compatible with both. I'm also keen about getting some software such as igolf for yardage estimates on the links... that package ($US250) is a little rich for my blood though. We'll have to wait for that to get a little more realistic.

I use intelligolf right now and it works good for a scorekeeper.