Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi peoples,

I've looked around this website and others for a solution to connecting to my corp mail.

Currently, I employ a work-around. I use an Exchange rule to send urgent emails and boss emails to an ISP account, which I then access with T600's built in eMail client.

What I'd really like to do is access and synchronise to Exchange directly. I've had a look at Chatter, Snapper, BC and others. I can't seem to download a trial version of Versamail 2.7 Enterprise so perhaps there is an anser out there for me...

The problem is that all the above client ask for an SMTP/POP server, which is not available (or not publicised) through our Exchange server. I downloaded MergicVPN to connect to our LAN. I have been able to verify this by logging on to our intranet and by using MergicPING. When I find out our group password, I'll be switching to movianVPN.

So, at this point I'm completely flummoxed! Our company has a BES but I decided to buck the trend (and the IT department ) by going for a Palm. With any luck some bugger will have developped a BB-Connect email client (the API has been available since September, I wonder what's keeping them )

Regards,

Ben
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    There hasn't been any API for third-parties to use.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    There hasn't been any API for third-parties to use.

Marc
    I was refering to this article:

PalmSource and RIM Announce Release of Email API to Developers

Here is the abstract...

MUNICH, Germany, PalmSource™ Euro DevCon, September 28, 2004 — PalmSource, Inc. (NASDAQ: PSRC), provider of Palm OS®, a leading operating system powering next generation mobile devices and smartphones, and Research in Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) a leading developer of wireless solutions, today announced that PalmSource is making the email API that will be released with the first version of the PalmSource Mail client for BlackBerry Connect™ available to Palm OS developers. The email API is designed to enable developers to leverage the secure BlackBerry® email transport to create secure mobile data applications such as customer relationship management (CRM), sales force automation (SFA), supply chain management (SCM) and mobile field services for the enterprise environment on Palm Powered™ smartphones and mobile devices.
    Ben, give BC a shot. It doesn't work only with POP, but rather goes directly to the exchange server. Yes, you have to have a client running on your computer at work for it to work, but it does work pretty well and has allowed me to keep my Blackberry off for months.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Ben, give BC a shot. It doesn't work only with POP, but rather goes directly to the exchange server. Yes, you have to have a client running on your computer at work for it to work, but it does work pretty well and has allowed me to keep my Blackberry off for months.

Hi I just tried that.

I connected via MergicVPN then to DC with Inbox Connect and selected "remote hotsync"

Didn't work though - so I went back to MergicVPN and discovered it had been disconnected.

If I connect with Mergic and then go straight to a web browser, I can get onto the company's intranet. So it seems that BC insists on disconnecting any existing connection.

I guess I could place a PC on the open Internet and have that VPN to my company servers. A bit of a security risk though (if a hacker bridges the two networks), so I'd rather not.

Has anyone any experience on VPN software and BC?

-Ben
    Last edited by Swingstylez; 01/13/2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Why do you need VPN if BC is on the computer at work? Shouldn't it just be able to access your Exchange server directly?
    GoodLink (http://www.good.com) offers real-time sync with Exchange and syncs everything (mail, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Why do you need VPN if BC is on the computer at work? Shouldn't it just be able to access your Exchange server directly?
    Our work computers are outside the main network and use VPN to communicate with the Exchange server.

Also, as they don't get a real IP address (NAT), can't be accessed via the Internet - only via VPN through the internet.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelv
    GoodLink (http://www.good.com) offers real-time sync with Exchange and syncs everything (mail, contacts, calendar, tasks and notes)
    Hi,

Nope, no good, the IT dept. had already invested in a BES and offered me a BlackBerry - so you see my dilema, I can't ask them for additional server software.
    Ask them if they intend to upgrade to BES 4.0. Major headaches. PM me if you like more information for ammunition to get them to support Treo users.
    This is a major problem, which I think PalmOne and the carriers need to address. For me, the biggest issue is that my office is not prepared to upgrade to Exchange Server 2003, which utlizes activesync. That being said, I have a temporary solutions by being part of the Seven beta. Right before that I started using the Sprintpcs BC solution, which is incidentally powered by Seven. It works okay, my biggest complaint is that while it allows me to access my Exchange Corp email, it does not recognize subfolders, nor does it work directly or very well with the exchange calendar. Oddly enough, it doesn't allow me to set a signature either. I am pushing my IT department to upgrade to Exchange 2003 and/or try the Goodlink solution...
    Are you currently running any version of Exchange internally? GoodLink supports Exchange 5.5, 2000, and 2003.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarheelv
    Are you currently running any version of Exchange internally? GoodLink supports Exchange 5.5, 2000, and 2003.
    Hi,

Yep but as I said, they have a BES already and it's unfair (and reasonable) to expect them to purchase GoodLink for just one non-Blackberry user..

As for the rest of your experiences, that is a shame. I wonder if Good is ture competitor to BES or just the non-Blackberry alternative? ..but that is off topic.

Regards,

S.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by richiekess
    I am pushing my IT department to upgrade to Exchange 2003 and/or try the Goodlink solution...
    I think we are upgrading to EX2003. If that so, then does the ActiveSync work with T600 or just T650?

-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingstylez
    Hi,

Yep but as I said, they have a BES already and it's unfair (and reasonable) to expect them to purchase GoodLink for just one non-Blackberry user..

As for the rest of your experiences, that is a shame. I wonder if Good is ture competitor to BES or just the non-Blackberry alternative? ..but that is off topic.

Regards,

S.
    Agreed. I thought there may be additional Treo users that could "band together". As a note, though, the server license from Good is free. The clients have annual fees. Regarding BES vs Good, you are right, another thread.
  16. jda
    Our work computers are outside the main network and use VPN to communicate with the Exchange server.

Also, as they don't get a real IP address (NAT), can't be accessed via the Internet - only via VPN through the internet.
    With BizConnect you don't need to access your computer at all so you do not need a VPN client on the treo. Your office PC would communicate with Exchange through it's own VPN connection and then forward email to the BizConnect servers. When you check email on the treo it's synching with the BizConnect servers and not your office pc directly.
  17. jda
    I think we are upgrading to EX2003. If that so, then does the ActiveSync work with T600 or just T650?

-S
    Only works with the version of Versamail shipped with the 650. The version of Versamail available for the 600 does not support Exchange Server Activesync
    I feel your pain. I work for a large financial services firm and haven't found a way to access my corp. email, either. There's no POP access, and IT keeps telling me to just get a blackberry like everybody else, but I don't want two devices and definitely don't want to give up my Treo.
    I have used BC. It works pretty well. As previously mentioned, the 'client' machine does not need a public IP or anything special, other than internet access. The client machine keeps an SSL session alive which allows the phone to retrieve documents directly from the PC. Pretty cewl. Lastly it also allows Outlook Cal sync as well, very handy for appointments.

The main problem I had with BC was multiple email accounts. While it does have settings for it, I was not impressed. Since MovianVPN showed up about 3 days ago (it was avail for free) I have switched to versamail. I love the VPN integration in Versamail and the account switching. POP3 and IMAP are both clear text to an exchange server, so passing passwords over the internet it is not safe. However, with IPSec wrapped around it you are secure. Unless the administrators have blocked or disabled port POP3 and/or IMAP, exchange runs them by default.

I still use BC for the 'push' feature and CAL sync, but only for my corporate account. Everything else is done via Versamail and manual checking.
    Hi, my company has a Goodlink server and IT is upgrading Exchange from 2000 to 2003. I have several questions...

1) First, should I wait for the upgrade to be complete so I can use ActiveSync? Or go ahead with Goodlink now?

2) If I install the Goodlink software onto my Treo 650, if I understand correctly, it becomes the main calendar, contacts, notes, tasks application right? So, I will not need datebkt5 and all its great functionality? How does it compare to it?

3) I assume I will be able to still grab my personal pop mail with SnapperMail right? Any conflicts?

Anyway, I would love to hear feedback from existing users of Goodlink.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast