Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I still maintain that all Randy Moss was doing, was trying to pick up his stylus.
  2.    #42  
    Hi all,

I noticed this thread was still alive (if you can call it that), and read through all the posts. Needless to say - I was amazed at what a sick bunch of puppies you all are. Glad I got my T650, I doubt Nokia phone owners are as wacked out as this bunch.

As the originator of this thread - I want to say just a few things ...

1) Yes - my original post about making the stylus more holdable was serious. While I wrote it in a slightly humorous tone it is, in fact, exactly what I did to get the stylus to be less slippery.

2) I had no idea that would lead to 30+ replies. We all have waaaaay too much time on our hands.

Thanks for the laughs,

PDXWilliam
    The Federal Government has created a new department. It is the Department of Informatics Slippery Stylus (DISS). It will DISS you all if you continue this.

End of NITWIT (Non Intellegence Transfer With Informatics Technology)
    Rees
    !%#%#$^! Skipped this step:
    4) Make sure styles falls on ground horizontally (not standing on its point) otherwise the next step won't work.
    Since it stood on the blunt end not the point and this was not mentioned I thought it was not relevant. I put a hole in my shoe and foot.
    PDXWilliam please update your instructions. As they are currently posted there might be liability issues.
    Shadowmite please make a shoe patch!
    Uhm...you had to work to hard to get that "Shadowmite shoe patch" joke out.
    Well, I for one am highly offended that someone would attempt a modification of a stylus. This patch is illegal. Doesn't anyone realize that the stylis is palmone's intellectual property. You have no right to make a modification like this. You are as bad as shadowmite!!

And don't tell me to start another tread about the legalities of stylus modification and intellectual property law. I tried that and no one cared about my bull crap illegality argument.

Don't forget to mention the Harvard Law degree you have on the wall after responding to an e-mail you got one day and the 10 years of experience you have in teaching Intelectual Property law........to zebras!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek
    Uhm...you had to work to hard to get that "Shadowmite shoe patch" joke out.
    Not half as hard as I work to get my blood encrusted styli from my T650
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I miss being able to unscrew the reset pin from the old stylus. Could you give us instrux on how to cut the stylus in two so I can look cool doing a soft reset on the subway?

Furthermore, when I tap on the screen with the modified stylus, its not as loud as when I tapped before. However, if I roll the stylus on the concrete some more, it does seem louder, although my screen is now all scratched up!

[Best thread ever!]
    I've written up instructions for Mac users on how to do this mod.

1) Check and make sure you want to do this first. Griffin will probably come out with an iStylus that is also a flashlight and a toothpick for $49, and you know you're gonna have to have it anyway. Or maybe someone will come out with a clear acryllic stylus sleeve or bright panther pattern decal that will just cover up the mod.
    2) If you are willing to proceed, then cradle the stylus in a lint free cloth and take it out on your condo balcony.
    3) Gently place the stylus on the concrete ground.
    4) Using your BMW car key with the flat edge, slowly rub over your stylus, thus rolling the stylus on the concrete, back and forth.
    5) Don't do #4 too much. We're trying to make the stylus more brushed metal like, not stripy with streaks. The classic look is so passe these days.
    6) Pick the stylus back up, and gently wipe away excess grit with the lint free cloth.
    7) You're done! Fewer steps--it's easier for us Mac users since most of the tools you used are open source and already built in to the stylus.

Notes:
    - Even if your new stylus grippy feature only came out as a small increment from before, just feel happy about that new brushed metal look!
    - If your Windows friends scoff at the lack of LCD screen or FM transmitter or XM receiver on your new stylus, you can show them how much easier it is to use and that's why the mod is so popular. Don't worry if they're still incredulous, just wait until market share reports come out and throw it in their face.
    - Treo 600 users: DON'T attempt this mod. Paint doesn't hold to the material of your stylus well for more than a year or so, so the chipped paint job will just get worse.
    Cpryce

You left out the step in which to cleanse the stylus in rubbing alcohol to remove excess debris and germs. Between which step(s) should that take place?
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    Cpryce

You left out the step in which to cleanse the stylus in rubbing alcohol to remove excess debris and germs. Between which step(s) should that take place?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/at...tid=5928&stc=1
    Before step #4,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Does concrete or asphalt work best?
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    Cpryce

Actually, you shouldn't let aclohol touch your stylus. There is a $20 bottle of cleaner called iKlear you should use instead, safe for all your Mac products! And it comes with the lint free cloth!

http://www.klearscreen.com/

As to what step, I'd say it is really something you should obsessively do daily, if not more often.
    Be advised that this modification will only work with the original stylus. If you have upgraded to a pen type stylus you may cause serious damage to you treo when it fills with ink. There must be ten gallons of ink in that damn pen. Now my treo looks worse than my pocket protector! Yet another reason to only use PALM ONE stuff the way they originally made it (slow and quirky). Does anyone think Sprint will take back my treo now that it is ink stained blue ?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123