1.    #1  
    My email accouts are with comcast.net. From what I've been able to determine, comcast supports both POP3 and IMAP email.

Can someone explain the difference between these two? If I am using an email application on my T650 that supports either, which should I use?

Thanks for clarifying this...
    POP downloads the email from your server at a user defined period (every 30 minutes...)
    IMAP is realtime
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    If your email server supports IMAP, I suggest you check it out - IMO, it is far superior to POP3. You can sync multiple folders and delete mail on the server from your handheld. I use the Enterprise edition of SnapperMail on a T600, and have been very happy with it, particularly with the recent tweaks in v. 2.
    They're two different models for email management. POP is based on the idea of a mailbox on a server that you pull emails from, optionally deleting them from the server in the process. If you log in from another client and/or another device, you'll just see the current state of the mailbox as the other client left it. The assumption is that you'll either keep all messages on the server for all clients to see (a crude form of synchronization), or you'll pull all messages from the server on one of your devices, and the others will be used to simply view new messages and reply to them, leaving them on the server until you download them from your "main" device.

IMAP is a more sophisticated model that explicitly allows for multiple folders that can be viewed and modified (add/remove messages, etc.) from multiple clients. The clients can each have a synchronized view of the current state of each folder on the server. So you can have your inbox, sent box, etc synced between your work desktop, PDA, laptop, home desktop, etc. The assumption here is that you'll keep active messages on the server, and archival (non-synced) messages are stored in local folders on the client-side.

POP is simpler to use, but IMAP offers a lot of very interesting functionality, and the protocols it uses for client/server interaction tend to be more efficient. I'd go with IMAP if you have a choice.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Once you go IMAP, you never go back...
    So IMAP is similar in principle to webmail? Where you can play around with it on the server.

How do you get it to archive older threads locally?
    Treo 600 GSM