1.    #1  
    [Also Posted in Chatter Mail Thread - but this goes beyong Chatter, I think]

I'm using Chatter to push e-mail from my Exchange IMAP e-mail account at work. We use a PPTP VPN. I've been having trouble with Chatter and the Mergic VPN, and I think I finally found out why.

1. According to the Mergic manual (P 13), while the VPN is in use, the Palm device (my Treo) will never time out and go to sleep, because of the maintenance network traffic required to keep the VPN up. The Treo just stays on, and in fact, gets much warmer to the touch than I've experienced before. Connected to AC, it gets hot, on battery, it just runs down quickly. In a pocket, it's a mess (random touchscreen presses).

2. If I hit the "End" button to power off the Treo, Chatter or the VPN do something (disconnects from the network?), and the VPN tries to re-establish, and turns the Treo back on immediately, then goes through its reconnect dialog, and stays on = See #1

3. If I pound the end key several times, the Treo does go to sleep, but the VPN is in a locked-up state, breaks connection to the IMAP server, and I don't get push e-mail.

Result, it appears, is that you can't do push e-mail on Treo 650 with a Mergic VPN.

Does anyone know if the Movian VPN has this same behavior?

Now I understand why the VersaMail manual says it may not be able to Auto-Sync if a VPN is involved. I think they've found this out already.
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
  2.    #2  
    I asked Rob at Mergic about this through the support e-mail. He responded quickly, and suggested that I turn off the keyguard. He thought that the issue was mentioned in the readme file. He said he was sorry about the limitation.

I checked and the readme file does mention the 600 and disableing keyguard, but nothing about the Treo650. And my keyguard IS disabled.

So it seems confirmed that programs like Chatter that want to talk to a work server behind a firewall while the phone is sleeping won't work with the Mergic VPN.

Has anybody tried Movian or knows of a PPTP VPN from another source?
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
    Has anyone else figured this out yet? I need to keep a VPN connection open and also use Chatter push. I don't mind the VPN dropping for certain things like phone usage but I'd want it to immediately pick back up.
    For what it's worth, I've used Mergic with SnapperMail with no issues.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    For what it's worth, I've used Mergic with SnapperMail with no issues.
    But do you have Snapper set to check for email automatically or do you manually establish the connection? If you do have it set to check automatically how often does it check? Does it establish the VPN tunnel each time before it checks and stop it when it's done? If so, can it do all this with the screen off?

Brett
    Auto every 30 minutes. It VPN's in, syncs via IMAP and disconnects from VPN. You simply maker SnapperMail an auto-connected app in Mergic's settings. Screen comes on though during process.