1.    #1  
    I have spent a while searching and reading and cant find a definate answer.

Is there a good accurate solution for the Treo 650?

Quetions:
    1. Do the bluetooth GPS receivers all measure by the same increments? I would assume that some will go "down" to smaller units of measurements. If so which is the best?
    Memory concerns:
    2. As far as I can tell the TomTom maps will run completely from an SD card without ever loading into RAM...correct?
    3. Is there a topographical map program that will also run completely from an SD card?
  2.    #2  
    bump
  3.    #3  
    Anyone?
    The accuracy of a GPS device is bounded by the accuracy provided by the GPS satellites. But some devices are a bit better at triangulating a tighter position than others. Not by huge amounts, just incrementally better.

I don't know of any topographical programs for the Palm. But if you want to do true topo mapping/logging, make sure your GPS device has a good rating for elevation positioning. They tend to vary a lot more in terms of accuracy in elevation calculation - some are good, some just provide guesstimates.

You might want to head over to gpspassion.com and browse the forums for more info on both these points.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the reply!

Mostly I just want to be able to use it in the desert and the mountains where street maps would be useless.
    You might want to look at Topo from Delorme. I believe you can import maps to Palms and PPC's. However you'll need Handheld Street Atlas, (which is not included) in order to read the maps on a PDA.

Kind of expensive once you add it all up.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    So you mainly need accurate map data for these regions? If you just want to see where you are on a map, then the maps provided with Mapopolis or TomTom should work fine. They'll show you where you are according to the GPS regardless of whether there's a street there or not. You don't need to worry too much about how recently updated these areas are on the maps, since Mother Nature works on a slightly longer reconstruction schedule than us people

But you're right, the maps bundled with these apps won't be topo maps, just 2D region maps. You may be able to find third-party topo maps for these apps, or use a topo-specific app like Insertion suggests (I hear a lot of people using Delorme, I've never tried it myself). Again, gpspassion.com is a great source for reviews and general discussion of all this stuff.
  8.    #8  
    I am not sure what I need. I want to be able to put in coordinates and then have it guide me there.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I am not sure what I need. I want to be able to put in coordinates and then have it guide me there.
    Well, lets deal with coordinates for what? Do you mean, "I need to get directions from my house to Aunt Betty in Podunk"? If so, thats navigation, or "Street" maps. Mapopolis, Street Atlas, MS Streets & Trips, Routis, TomTom (not all these are Palm apps.)

If you're going hiking, camping, traveling abandoned logging or fire roads, you want a topo map, as this shows terrain, elevation, etc.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #10  
    Mostly for hiking. The wife wants to do a little (I think its called) geocaching, some kind've anonymous treasure finding
    Geocaching is great! (Geocaching.com is a great site, if you haven't been.)

May not be the answer you're looking for, but you're probably better off getting a Garmin or Magellen GPS reciever. I cringe when I hear of people wanting to hold onto a $500 phone while hiking. One slip and you could be without both GPS and phone. But thats just me.