1.    #1  
    I think this is going to be a widespread problem...my company does not allow camera phones inside the building. Therefore I'm going to have to return my Treo 650 to sprint. Nobody at sprint can tell me if they are going to offer a non camera version and PalmOne has told me both yes and no.

Does anyone know if PalmOne will be offering a 650 without a camera? I'm pretty bummed because I was just falling in love with my Treo and now I may have to shift to being a Blackberry user!!!???

Thanks for the help!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I've heard from multiple sources (ZDNet, TechTV, etc.) that a camera-free 650 is available, but I don't know where you could get one if palmOne is giving you conflicting info. Hope you find one, though. I love this gadget!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Have you tried calling Sprint's business telesales? Or the number listed on Sprint's website? "To purchase a Treo 650 by palmOne without a built-in camera, please call 1-888-253-1315."
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Where did you get that quote? Can you post a link?

Thanks
    I spoke to Christine from Telesales yesterday and she actually told me that February 4th is the new release date for the camera-less Treo 650. I'm not sure if I can wait any longer.

Has anyone performed successful surgery on their existing treo 650 and physically removed the camera? Can it be removed without involving precision soldering equipment or can it be removed by simply unpluging the camera assembly? Also, would removing the camera affect the power-up sequence of the Treo? I have gone as far as purchacing a set of micro Torx screwdrivers this morning and am strongly considering attempting the surgery this weekend on a newly purchased Treo 650. Looking for someone to offer advice who has already been there, done that. Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Wow! Good luck with all that. I consider myself pretty adventurous when it comes to customizations, but I wouldn't even attempt that on a $600 device.
    i have successfully removed the camera from a 600 and peter skillman said that the internals were very similar and have few soldered contacts- most are similar to the 600 in that they are either just metal contacts or little plugs... i would go for it just be careful when taking off the case- it's very easy to crack. on the software side- i think that you got an error message when trying to access the camera app to take pictures but not when viewing them... i dont remember if the error caused a soft reset or not.
    for the record i have NOT taken apart a 650 yet
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Even if it was removed your company may not accept it. Better check first before blinding it. Even if you remove the electronics it will still LOOK LIKE it has a camera so they still might not accept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by peletourneau
    Has anyone performed successful surgery on their existing treo 650 and physically removed the camera? Can it be removed without involving precision soldering equipment or can it be removed by simply unpluging the camera assembly?
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    my company just got a couple hundred t600 camera free from sprints enterprise division. the unit works fine all the picture software is still on the phone even picture mail and sharing options pop up only thing you get is when you press to take a picture you get an error saying "camera driver was not found or could not be loaded" no reset or anything i believe the 650 should act in the same way. Just my .02 worth.
    i haven't done the surgery yet, but i read on another board that it is even easier than removing the teo 600 camera. apparently there is a plug which can easily be removed from its socket. Don't have a 650 yet so can't verify.
    Is it an autpmotive company? If yes, can you name it or tell me privately. Thanx
    FastFrank
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Nope not related to automotive world We are a type service company

Thats all Ill say
    I got security at my company to allow my last cameraphone (CDM8900) to get into the building, when I showed them I could lockout the camera feature. Are there any 3rd party apps to do this on the 650? (I thought I remembered one company at the Roadshow that said they could do this).
    Sprint has it now!!! I just ordered mine and it should be here by Friday!

Now I have to return the 650 that I bought...
    Just ordered mine as well. $419 after $150 credit for 2 year agreement and $30 discount if you mention the web special on the sprint website. Will be here on monday!

I'm a happy camper!!!!!

car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    My first post (actually 2nd, I just lost my first

I had my 650 for less than a day, when I decided to do this surgery!

0.) carefully removed warranty seal with micro needle and mag glass from screw top holding in antennae

1.) removed 7 torx T5 screw

2.) separated covers with fingernails. pressed inwards on inner tang while carefully prying the parts apart. take your time and be very careful!!

3.) pried small metal camera housing vertically off board by alternately rocking both sides with a small screw driver.

4.) camera ribbon is attached to board with a small black connector. Pried it apart.

5.) Attached red colored lens seal from inside case before sealing everything back up.

The software never notices the camera is missing until you use the camera app. It then reports this dialog:

"Unable to launch Camera because no camera is present in the device"

Hope this is useful info for others.

Ed