Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    mblank: Big fan of your efforts. I don't understand why nobody else can seem to get realtime IMAP... anyway... Have gone back and forth with ChatterMail since your earliest versions.

    Email apps are so varied and personal. All I really want to know is did I get some new email.

    What do you think about a "really" light ChatterMail... all it does is notify me that I have a new email. Popup an alert on my phone telling me the subject and the sender... If I really want it I'll fire up my dim witted email app that came with my phone or another that has other features that I am accustomed to and check my mail.

    Or I'll wait until I see that their are several new emails and then I'll check. Basically just a nice little IDLE monitor... $10 it would sure open a revenue stream from those people unwilling to switch from Snapper or Versamail.

    Of course I'd get a copy for free ;o)
    this is not an accident, this is art.
  2. #2  
    Hi, Matt... Well, hmmm.... I guess my first question would be, "Why use another app?" Are there some things in particular that would choose you to use Snapper or VersaMail? (IOW, I'd be interested in addressing them, if feasible)

    Having said THAT, I'd have to think about your idea. It would be interesting to hear whether others would be interested.

    Marc
  3.    #3  
    well, for me personally... I am currently "accustomed to" snapper mail. and I fear it is a bit of the intangible (which I think is true for many people)... The 'look-n-feel', the behavior of the 5 way nav. I am not saying that it is better, just that I have been using it for nearly 2 years and a switch would mean "change".

    But I really think it is NOT a matter of pure feature comparison.

    personal preference and comfort goes a long way towards dictating ones email app.
    this is not an accident, this is art.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattTarr
    mblank: Big fan of your efforts. I don't understand why nobody else can seem to get realtime IMAP... anyway... Have gone back and forth with ChatterMail since your earliest versions.

    Email apps are so varied and personal. All I really want to know is did I get some new email.

    What do you think about a "really" light ChatterMail... all it does is notify me that I have a new email. Popup an alert on my phone telling me the subject and the sender... If I really want it I'll fire up my dim witted email app that came with my phone or another that has other features that I am accustomed to and check my mail.

    Or I'll wait until I see that their are several new emails and then I'll check. Basically just a nice little IDLE monitor... $10 it would sure open a revenue stream from those people unwilling to switch from Snapper or Versamail.

    Of course I'd get a copy for free ;o)
    Since my first VisorPhone the thing I really needed and contacted endless companies about was Real, Real time email for my personal use. So many companies touted real-time but checking even at every 5 mintues is not realtime. I need the ability to have REAL Time conversations, via text, and chatter has provided that beautifully.

    As far as a lite version, for myself, I can't see it. All of my email accounts, with the exception of aol, provided notification or forwarding. So if you needed to know if you had mail, why can't you set up a notification within your email provider to send an SMS? I don't know, just my view.
  5.    #5  
    there are people who swear by agendus (for example)... it is far more than an email program. They would benefit from something like this. There are many situations where one might want to simply monitor an IMAP inbox. or not, maybe it is JUST me ;o(

    I've been wrong before, I am actually wrong 85% of the time...

    but relying on the providers isn't an ideal solution when there are standards in place. I mean that is the force behind ChatterMail... not relying on some crazy work around, just make a palm IMAP client, voila...

    mblank, please take no offense, I am not insinuating that you cannot create an app that everyone would want to use. But nobody can create and app that everyone WILL use.
    this is not an accident, this is art.
  6. #6  
    One thing that would make Chatter the killer app for me is the support of Gmail's SMTP! That way I can use IMAP with Fastmail and reply using Gmail address and be set!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    One thing that would make Chatter the killer app for me is the support of Gmail's SMTP! That way I can use IMAP with Fastmail and reply using Gmail address and be set!
    Now I could get onboard with that one.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    One thing that would make Chatter the killer app for me is the support of Gmail's SMTP! That way I can use IMAP with Fastmail and reply using Gmail address and be set!
    your wireless provider may let you use anyone else's smtp as a way of reducing spam, but Marc has it set that you can configure an smtp profile for each account so that most folks won't see a difference on the surface, unless they really dig into the properties
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    "Why use another app?" i, Matt.Are there some things in particular that would choose you to use Snapper or VersaMail? (IOW, I'd be interested in addressing them, if feasible)
    well, I have tried it 3 or 4 times since you started the project. I think that I will buy it this time because it has gotten that good and that stable for the last 5 days or so, which is the beginning of my most recent trial.

    I always went back to Snapper mainly for the 1) stability and lack of soft resets. But I also liked the 2) support of using Zl and PRPRPR $shortcuts$ $to$ $use$ $attachments$, $such$ $as$ $Handzipprer$ $or$ $AcidImage$. $Plus$, $Snapper$ $has$ $3$)$POP$ $and$ $4$) $SD$ $card$ $support$. $I$ $know$ $that$ $you$ $plan$ $on$ $adding$ $4$) $SD$ $card$ $support$ $in$ $version$ $1$.$1$. $that$'$s$ $great$ $and$ $you$ $have$ $thoroughly$ $addressed$ $1$). $3$) $is$ $negiotable$ $for$ $me$ $because$ $I$ $still$ $have$ $Snapper$ $and$ $probably$ $will$ $store$ $it$ $on$ $the$ $SD$ $card$ $using$ $ZL$ $and$ $can$ $access$ $that$ $when$ $I$ $need$ $to$. $So$ $really$, $the$ $only$ $thing$ $left$ $for$ $me$ $is$ $that$ $I$ $would$ $love$ $to$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $use$ $attachments$ $with$ $apps$ $that$ $have$ $a$ $ZL$ $or$ $PR$ $shortcut$. $Oh$, $plus$, $if$ $I$ $disable$ $the$ $LED$ $notification$ $in$ $all$ $three$ $settings$, $when$ $I$ $get$ $a$ $new$ $message$, $it$ $says$ $0$ $missed$ $mesages$ $in$ $the$ $alert$ $menu$ $rather$ $than$ $the$ $actual$ $number$ $of$ $messages$.

    All that said, I don't see Snapper coming out with background operation and integration with the T650 phone app anytime soon, so I think I will register my copy this weekend and hope that we can make some strides to improve the old IM app because I have greyed out IM conversations with the newer ChatterEmail....or maybe you can make them separate apps? I dunno
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  10. #10  
    Oh, I have a question. I use Fastmail per Marc's instructions and the Treo let's me sent pictures via either my Runbox or Fastmail. But I dont' seems to get pictures on my fastmail. Is something wrong?
  11. #11  
    Not sure what you mean by you don't get the pictures on Fastmail. Can you explain more of what's happening?

    Marc
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    your wireless provider may let you use anyone else's smtp as a way of reducing spam, but Marc has it set that you can configure an smtp profile for each account so that most folks won't see a difference on the surface, unless they really dig into the properties
    Another big benefit if Gmail SMTP were able to work with Chatter is that every message you send using it, Gmail puts a copy of it in your sent folder (or is it label?)! Which means I don't need to store anything on the Treo or mess around with blind CCs and stuff.

    Only issue is that I cannot get Chatter SMTP profiles to work with Gmail. I think it is Gmail that is doing something funny but I have been able to get Outlook Express to work so I know it is possible.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Not sure what you mean by you don't get the pictures on Fastmail. Can you explain more of what's happening?

    Marc
    Well I haven't treid it lately, but I have a good friend who sends me pictures from his Sidekick. If he sends them via my fastmail, I get the email but no picture, if he sends them to my runbox account, I get an attachment. I have also started sending them sms with verichat.

    I don't mind an attachment, would rather have the pic embeded, but its not important. With fastmail, I don' get the picture at all.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by meonline
    Another big benefit if Gmail SMTP were able to work with Chatter is that every message you send using it, Gmail puts a copy of it in your sent folder (or is it label?)! Which means I don't need to store anything on the Treo or mess around with blind CCs and stuff.

    Only issue is that I cannot get Chatter SMTP profiles to work with Gmail. I think it is Gmail that is doing something funny but I have been able to get Outlook Express to work so I know it is possible.
    Your wireless provider is different from your dial-up, cable or DSL provider. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE GMAIL SMTP SERVER FROM YOUR CELL PHONE. You will have to contact your wireless provider to find out the smtp addy and username, password, etc. If you look in the Chatter smtp profile you will see things like "return address" or several other options that once you have the basic account, username, and password you can configure the others to make it look like its gmail that you are sending. There is no work around for loading to your GMail sent items. That's a limitation of POP mail
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  15. #15  
    cglaguna -

    Can you send me an example (or have your friend send me one)? I get pictures as attachments via Fastmail all the time. Maybe it's related to how the picture is sent...

    Marc

Posting Permissions