1.    #1  
    Last night, my new Treo 650 fell out of my pocket. Of course, this being the first time I've dropped it, I happened to be standing by a large puddle. The battery and cover immediately popped off, which I guess is actually good since it lessens the chance of a short.

I was outside a friend's house when this occured, and I immediately went inside to dry the phone with a towel, and then a hair dryer. I dried it best as I could, but there was still water visible behind the screen. I left it by the heater all last night and in the sun today. By this afteroon, the visible moisture had disappeared. Also, I tried the SD card that was inside the unit on my PC, and it seems to work fine.

So, should I install the battery and try it today? Or should I wait another day? Could there still be moisture that I can't see?

Also, should I consider taking it apart and cleaning each part inside? One website I found said that each part should be cleaned in distilled water to remove any possible minerals. Since it fell into a deep, clear puddle of fresh rainwater over concrete, my guess is that the mineral content was low (it has also been raining for weeks).

The main reason I haven't taken it apart is that I don't want to void my warranty. There is a P1 logo over one of the star screws (the one under the rubber stopper), and I assume that tampering voids the warranty.

OTOH, somebody suggested that they will detect water damage and thereforme my warranty is already void. I'm not sure how they detect this, but in that case I have nothing to lose by opening it up (right?)

If the unit is broken, should I try to claim it under warranty or insurance? I have insurance from Sprint (through Lock/Line). However, I just bought this phone last month after (legitimately) claiming my broken Samsung i500.

If anyone has had similar experiences in this area, I would greatly appreciate the help.
    let it sit for several more days. preferably a warm, dry place. on top of fridge might work, if gas oven with pilot, might also be good.

you could also get a can of 'canned air' and try blasting it in every possible gap where you might push in some air, that would speed the process.
    and to go to greatest length, buy some dessicant, and put the phone in a small container with the stuff and let it sit. keep changing out the dessicant until it stops color-indicating.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  3.    #3  
    Good idea! I had a silica gel pack leftover from some luggage. I put it in a ziplock bag with the phone.
    Your warranty is already void. My son-in-law works for Sprint. All of their cell phones have a tab inside that tects water exposure. If you have the Lockline warranty, I'd let it dry out until you see no more moisture, then a little extra, and try it out. If it doesn't work, contact Lockline, pay your $50, and get another.

The card working doesn't indicate the phone will be OK. I dropped my 600 in the bilge of my sailboat, completely immersing it. The card worked fine, the phone didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferplexion
    Good idea! I had a silica gel pack leftover from some luggage. I put it in a ziplock bag with the phone.
    most silica gel packs don't color-indicate though, or at least it's rare for the throwaway ones included with products to do so. i'd still recommend getting ahold of some of the color indicator stuff, as that way you'll know for sure how it's doing.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
  6.    #6  
    okay. any idea where i would find that? would Home Depot have it?
    yeah, home depot would almost certainly have it.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    put the 650 in the microwave for few seconds. This will reset your ROM and cause a reallt hot hotsynk. (joke of corse)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Your warranty is already void. My son-in-law works for Sprint. All of their cell phones have a tab inside that tects water exposure. If you have the Lockline warranty, I'd let it dry out until you see no more moisture, then a little extra, and try it out. If it doesn't work, contact Lockline, pay your $50, and get another.

The card working doesn't indicate the phone will be OK. I dropped my 600 in the bilge of my sailboat, completely immersing it. The card worked fine, the phone didn't.
    I used to work for Sprint as well and most phones have a white strip under the battery that turns pink or red, or has pink or red 'x's on it if it gets water damage. Removing my battery, I don't see the white strip, unless it is the white thing in the upper right corner (you have to take out the battery and look at the right side wall at the top to see it).

That is the only indicator for water damange.

What Sprint really looks for is corrosion on the connector on the bottom. If water damages the phone, the gold conenctors on the bottom turn green from corrosion. Take a look at that.
  10.    #10  
    other than the sticker on the back of the battery compartment having bubbled up, i can see no visible indications on the phone of water damage. no corrosion on the connectors, and no pink strips. the white area in the upper right corner of the compartment is still white.
  11.    #11  
    GREAT NEWS! After I gave it another day in the sun, locked in a ziplock bag with a dessicant pack, I decided to put in the battery and test it out. It works perfectly! As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the phone. The sound is great, it takes pictures, plays movies and games. I am thrilled!
    Congratulations! That's great to hear. You were smart to take the battery out ASAP and give it a good long time to dry out.
    Mine has dropped in the toilet, it reset and shut off. Took the battery and the sd card out emediately. Shook most of the water out, 20 min under a blow dryer and 30 min just sitting on my bed. Put the battery back and I was back in business. There was a water spot on the screen but it eventually went away in a few hours.
    Man, when I dropped my T600 2 weeks ago, I WISH I dropped it into a puddle instead of on the hard concrete. Now I have a shattered screen

If only I could find a cheap T600 that was nonfunctional but with a pristine screen...
    Quote Originally Posted by ferplexion
    The sound is great
    Hmmmm....maybe I should try dropping mine in a puddle...can you describe the puddle (muddy/clear/deep/shallow)?
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode
    Mine has dropped in the toilet
    Please tell me it was a post-flush and not a pre-flush drop.