1.    #1  
    I really need something reliable for my upcoming trip. I could rely on the patch by shadowmiite, or purchase PDAnet. Other than being free, is there another advantage of Shadowmites patch. I'm at the point that I wouldn't mind paying (even though I stated before that I would prefer the cheaper method)

OR

Is the a better one out?
    I just went on a trip, and used shadowmite's patch to get Internet access on my Mac. Everything worked great. My suggestion would be to use it, try hanging up and reconnecting, switching between phone, PDA Internet, and dialup Internet access so you know what you're doing and you're not frustrated in the middle of nowhere. But it works great.

- Adam
    Agreed. I can't speak about PDANet since I've never used it, but the DUN patch (I have mine in ROM) works great. Unless they have come out with a Mac version of PDANet very recently, Shadowmite's patch is the only option for Mac users. And best of all, it's FREE (because it should have been there in the first place).
    WirelessModem was what Treo 600 owners used on Mac.

http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/

I tried it and it worked great. The developer has no interest in upgrading for Treo 650 however, and I can understand it. But I have read that directly connecting thru USB can be faster.

- Adam
    on a PC, the USB connection via PDANet is faster than BT.

I think it's worth it for the speed.
    No way in hell I'm using a piece of software when the developer's website says:

This software is offered without support. Please do not contact us for support.

Seriously, I downloaded and tried WirelessModem. Doesn't work for me at all. When I try to connect from the laptop, the Treo just does a soft reset. From what I can find in the forums, nobody has gotten it to work successfully with a 650 yet. If anyone has, please tell me the secret, since this looks like a reasonably good workaround.
    Last edited by MacJunkie; 01/11/2005 at 09:38 PM.
    I've found my connection speed on PDANet to be faster using Bluetooth. I also like the fact that I can use my USB cable which also seems faster at times than Bluetooth. In light of this, I still give mad props to Shadowmite.
    I used WirelessModem, PDANet and the BT dialup patch, here is the details:

1) The dialup patch method is too instable to be useful for everyday use. The speed is about 9KB/s, much slower than PDANet+USB or WM+BT. You'll reset your phone frequently and you cannot use any other BT devices. Make sure you have Filez on your Treo; so you can remove it to SD card when you don't need it or copy it from SD to phone when you need it.

2) WM via BT is reliable and fast, but not so convenient for everyday use. Everytime you have to use stylus to click on the "yes" button, choose the BT device, make a (serial) connection to the computer, then dialup from the computer. The speed is good, as fast as PDANet via USB (see below). The problem is the screen does not go black. The trick to mak WM to work is to choose BT for phone and cradle port (yes!) for computer. You also need to know how to make a BT modem on your computer, not so easy if you are not a computer geek. I have some details on my website: www.fixup.net/talk

3) PDANet is the way to go (PC users only though). Very easy to install and very convenient to use. Everytime you only need to connect the USB cable (I'm waiting for the cradle) and press one button and you are connected. When you are done, make sure you disconnect from the PC, not pressing the disconnect button on the phone, or you'll have to turn off the phone to make it work again. The speed is great, constantly 15KB to 20kB. It also supports BT, but speed goes down to 9KB or so, the same fast as the dialup patch. The screen goes black and incoming calls will be popped up (never really miss a call, at least it'll pop out when a voice mail arrives). Whenever you have a trouble, just hold down the red phone button and re-connect. PDANet seldom crashes on the PC, but once it does, the PC needs a hard reset. The virtual serial port is based on an open source code. Virtual serial drivers (such as those for USB-serial) always suck, but PDANet tweaked it impressively well, especially on its speed.

Until Sprint or palmOne makes the BT dialup to work flawlessly, you should get PDANet if you need dialup in your everyday life. Use WirelessModem for Mac, or if you are willing to trade the inconvenience for price (if you already have WM, you don't pay again as you must for PDANet). Use the BT dialup patch only at an emergency (ex. you are on road and you forgot or you don't want to use a USB cable).
    EDIT: I give up - spend money if you want to. I've done my best to help. Goodbye.
    Last edited by shadowmite; 01/12/2005 at 08:22 AM.
    PDAnet ROCKS! I drove at least 100 miles through Tennesee and downloaded mail the entire time. My trip was shorter than the demo so I ended up buying the software after I got back. In the hotel, PDAnet was online all day. I love the idea of BT, but a backup GPRS connection is way better than a dialup connection.

Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by djrickp
    I've found my connection speed on PDANet to be faster using Bluetooth. I also like the fact that I can use my USB cable which also seems faster at times than Bluetooth. In light of this, I still give mad props to Shadowmite.
    if you are using pdanet via USB sync cable does the pictures when you browing the web look grainy not clear?
    Quote Originally Posted by hberbout123
    if you are using pdanet via USB sync cable does the pictures when you browing the web look grainy not clear?
    I have had the same problem on my T600 using Wmodem, Just got used to it. Never figured out what caused it.
    Sprint re-compress pics, the workaround is ctrl-F5 to re-load the page/images without re-compress. This is a wellknown thing back to the days of Vision was just released.

Shadowtime: I have done many many tests, the speed differences I posted are real and very repeatable (at least in my area). If the speed was the same or close enough, I won't have bought the PDANet twice (for my 300 and now 650). For the significant speed benifit, well worth the money.

I just hope palmOne will put the speed to the maximum by the time they release the BT dialup update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixup
    I used WirelessModem, PDANet and the BT dialup patch, here is the details:

1) The dialup patch method is too instable to be useful for everyday use. The speed is about 9KB/s, much slower than PDANet+USB or WM+BT. You'll reset your phone frequently and you cannot use any other BT devices. Make sure you have Filez on your Treo; so you can remove it to SD card when you don't need it or copy it from SD to phone when you need it.

2) WM via BT is reliable and fast, but not so convenient for everyday use. Everytime you have to use stylus to click on the "yes" button, choose the BT device, make a (serial) connection to the computer, then dialup from the computer. The speed is good, as fast as PDANet via USB (see below). The problem is the screen does not go black. The trick to mak WM to work is to choose BT for phone and cradle port (yes!) for computer. You also need to know how to make a BT modem on your computer, not so easy if you are not a computer geek. I have some details on my website: www.fixup.net/talk

3) PDANet is the way to go (PC users only though). Very easy to install and very convenient to use. Everytime you only need to connect the USB cable (I'm waiting for the cradle) and press one button and you are connected. When you are done, make sure you disconnect from the PC, not pressing the disconnect button on the phone, or you'll have to turn off the phone to make it work again. The speed is great, constantly 15KB to 20kB. It also supports BT, but speed goes down to 9KB or so, the same fast as the dialup patch. The screen goes black and incoming calls will be popped up (never really miss a call, at least it'll pop out when a voice mail arrives). Whenever you have a trouble, just hold down the red phone button and re-connect. PDANet seldom crashes on the PC, but once it does, the PC needs a hard reset. The virtual serial port is based on an open source code. Virtual serial drivers (such as those for USB-serial) always suck, but PDANet tweaked it impressively well, especially on its speed.

Until Sprint or palmOne makes the BT dialup to work flawlessly, you should get PDANet if you need dialup in your everyday life. Use WirelessModem for Mac, or if you are willing to trade the inconvenience for price (if you already have WM, you don't pay again as you must for PDANet). Use the BT dialup patch only at an emergency (ex. you are on road and you forgot or you don't want to use a USB cable).
    I'm following your instructions here and on your web site, but I must be missing somthing.. When I enable modem it goes to a screen and I can chose the name of the notebook computer. I hit ok and it returns to Wmodem. It attempts to connect and "unable to open PDA Modem Port."
    Any ideas??
    thanks
    I used PDANet for the treo 600, and it came in handy so many times on the road while traveling. I evaluated shadowmite's patch, or continuing with PDANet for my 650. Ultimately, it came down to not having lot's of time to do the things needed for the patch, nor did I have a PCMCIA sd card for my latop. So, I opted for the PDANet approach.

Just my two cents. Shadowmite, your work with the 650 is simply outstanding.

Brian
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    EDIT: I give up - spend money if you want to. I've done my best to help. Goodbye.
    Come on Shadowmite. It's not like that! Oh, installed ROM patch 3. Thanks. It's awesome. Now I can hear them and they can hear me! Now I'm just having problems with my Bluetooth. It won't connect. It shows up as accessible, but it won't connect. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Computer genius like you still need to listen to others.

Let me make it clear:

1) Noting wrong with the BT dialup patch; the current BT dialup implementation sucks.

2) BT connection speed is fast more than enough to ensure the fastest dialup speed, but the management of BT and dialup at the same time makes huge difference on the final dialup speed. WM manages these two things together well and gives optimal dialup speed. Treo 650's built-in BT dialup does not manage these two well and results in slower speed. So is PDANet via BT.

Another good example is the infamous SE T608; its BT dialup speed never go faster than 56K. If wireless speed varies all the time and has nothing to do with BT, USB, WM or PDANet, why the T608 NEVER go any faster while I get 150K with PDANet+USB 99.9999% of the time?

I have no any type of connection to PDANet. I actually hate its pricing. But it's so far the best. I have WM, but to use BT dialup is too hassle every and each time. The current built-in BT dialup profile simply sucks and palmOne did not enable it for very good reason.
    I think it's worth it. I can use USB and Bluetooth. It seems my USB connection is faster, but that just may be me. When I used the DUN patch, I was connecting at 125k and with PDANet, i connect at 145k using either Bluetooth or USB.
    For those who are interested: while using BT, PDANet does not shut off the screen (just dim) like it does while using USB.

Although PDANet works via both USB and BT, I've found it is dignificantly slower and not so steady vis BT.