Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    if you hit the blue key (or shift, or whatever it's called) and then the "up" arrow, the screen dims. what's up with that? it seems to dim the same manner as it does sometimes on its own.

i still can't figure out why it mysteriously does it by itself though (as documented in other posts) but this is a nifty little way to do it yerself..

I'm sure this is old news, or probably in the handbook somewhere, but who's got time to read that thing when we're all trying to overclock, custom rom, and de-bug this thing?

:-)
    "night mode" there are actually a few cool little features built in.
    That doesn't seem to work for me. Tested with and without Zlauncher running. Possibly a feature added by another app ?

-X
    Quote Originally Posted by sh9854
    if you hit the blue key (or shift, or whatever it's called) and then the "up" arrow, the screen dims. what's up with that? it seems to dim the same manner as it does sometimes on its own.

i still can't figure out why it mysteriously does it by itself though (as documented in other posts) but this is a nifty little way to do it yerself..

I'm sure this is old news, or probably in the handbook somewhere, but who's got time to read that thing when we're all trying to overclock, custom rom, and de-bug this thing?

:-)
    By "Up arrow" do you mean the up direction in the 5-way navigator, or the right shift key, which has an up arrow picture on it? If it's the latter, then it is Night mode. If it's the former, I'd never heard of that and this doesn't happen on my device.
    Works for me...

b
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    By "Up arrow" do you mean the up direction in the 5-way navigator, or the right shift key, which has an up arrow picture on it? If it's the latter, then it is Night mode. If it's the former, I'd never heard of that and this doesn't happen on my device.

Thanks silver. I was assuming he meant the nav up button. The right shift sure enough works.

What other cool, possibly undocuments features are there ?

-X
  7.    #7  
    I'm sorry, I mean the blue key and the "up arrow"...the one with the picture of the arrow on it that's next to the 'alt' key...i should have been more clear. I actually stumbled upon this while i was looking for a way to launch the command button now that butler has crashed my palm more times than i can count. in the meantime, the newly discovered app "fieldplus" is doing just wonderfully...

something still doesnt make sense....how is it night mode if it makes the screen darker?
    Very cool. It doesn't matter how much I "think" I know these devices I am always shown something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by sh9854
    how is it night mode if it makes the screen darker?
    Because at night you don't want it to be as bright...it can be blinding!!
    Treo Allegro has a night and day mode where you can specify the times. I believe it's free too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    That doesn't seem to work for me. Tested with and without Zlauncher running. Possibly a feature added by another app ?

-X
    nope
    Dutch-

Got it figured out a few posts back. thx.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    And, alternatively, Option-Left Shift is a global search!
    Not complaining mind you, since I didn't know this either, but its on page 130 of the manual. Checked under the index heading Screen...Adjusting Brightness.

Guess I should read the thing myself one day
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    "night mode" there are actually a few cool little features built in.
    I think I know my way around my Treo now, but would you care to ellaberate?
    Thanks...
  16.    #16  
    manual? was that that thing covered in plastic holding the software CD? i think i saw that somewhere....i thought it was just a big hunk of wrapped paper so the CD would fit nicely in the box ;-)
    seriously, the MANUAL... I thought that reading any manual meant that you didn't actually deserve to know what was in it. I have honestly never understood why "RTFM" has been such a catch phrase among those who somehow think that by their own inadequacy (by admiting that they HAVE read the manual) somehow makes them 'cool'... or better. Little clue for all you RTFMers... it makes you about as uncool as a 'geek' can actually get.

In the interest of cultural relativity, I understand it is actually COOL in japan to RTFM... so perhaps all those RTFMers are Japanse?!
    this is not an accident, this is art.
    Mine works. Is it me though or that up arrow button is harder to press than the rest of the other buttons?
    MattTarr,

I hope you're joking. There is no way you can figure out everything about something as sophisticated as the Treo without reading the manual, this feature is a good case in point. You'd have to wait for someone to tell you about it or for you to discover it by accident. If you're satisfied knowing just enough to get by, then that's a different issue.

A device like the Treo is full of time-saving shorcuts that you'll not know if you don't read about them. A good example that always comes up is that some people who consider themselves veteran users of Palm devices still don't know that you can start entering appointments in the Calendar just by typing a number, which is taken as the time of the appointment. This was true since the first Pilot that came out in '96. I, too, would not have known that for many years if I didn't read that manual almost 9 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattTarr
    Little clue for all you RTFMers... it makes you about as uncool as a 'geek' can actually get.
    That's funny... it's what allows me to help answer many 'geek' questions!

RTFM can have a tremendous benefit to all that take the time to do it!

Besides, I like to think that I maintain my 'geek' status because I RTFM... of course, I'd never let anyone catch me doing it!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast