1.    #1  
    I have purchased this player and it seems to be great for all my media. I'm using a 1GB SD card for storage... the one thing I cannot figure out is how to create an audio playlist, or at least get it to continue playing whatever the next song is... As it stands now, I can choose a song and it will play but when that song is done it will not go on to the next one... which is relatively useless as I planned on using it as a music player... getting annoying and I can't figure it out. I searched all the forums and did not find any solution to this issue... anyone have any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    I have purchased this player and it seems to be great for all my media. I'm using a 1GB SD card for storage... the one thing I cannot figure out is how to create an audio playlist, or at least get it to continue playing whatever the next song is... As it stands now, I can choose a song and it will play but when that song is done it will not go on to the next one... which is relatively useless as I planned on using it as a music player... getting annoying and I can't figure it out. I searched all the forums and did not find any solution to this issue... anyone have any thoughts?
    Wow, bummer that you selected this particular app as your music player. Not to knock it, but I am pretty sure that most would agree that Pocket Tunes, AeroPlayer or even the free RealPlayer included with most palms are better for audio.

If I am not mistaken, Kinoma does not support playlists nor resume.

Kinoma is a nice media player, but due to the fact that it requires PC conversion for its files has fallen by the wayside even with the most current release.

MMPlayer is (even in its current beta) a better choice for video. MMPlayer does not require you to convert your files prior to syncing and then viewing them on the Palm. Further still for audio I would have chosen one of the two (AeroPlayer or Pocket Tunes). Both are cheaper then KinomaPlayer3EX. Further RealPlayer is free.

Link to Pocket Tunes Deluxe:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...area=home.home

Link to Pocket Tunes:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...area=home.home

Link to AeroPlayer:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=46149
  3.    #3  
    Thanks... I have RealPlayer, I just got Kinoma because I have a lot of (DRM-less) AAC files and I read here on TreoCentral that it plays them... and it does - sounds fine, but I don't understand how they can implement such a player and have it only play one song at a time! I mean, what's the point? Very disappointing... oh well... Thanks for the input.
    You can do continuous playback by using your stylus click and hold down on the right-arrow in the top right of the screen while it's playing a track. But this still only gives you three options for defining the playing order -- sort by song name, by album name, or by artist name.
    Go ahead and email the people at Kinoma and make your requests known.

MMPlayer does require a conversion process on the PC unless your video source is already in MPEG or DIVX and is the correct size/bit rate to playback on your Palm.
    Sync is questionable on MMPlayer, especially if you touch anything during playback.
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    MMPlayer does require a conversion process on the PC unless your video source is already in MPEG or DIVX and is the correct size/bit rate to playback on your Palm.
    Sync is questionable on MMPlayer, especially if you touch anything during playback.
    MMPlayer requires no conversion, it either supports the file or it does not. Kinoma requires conversion to pdb for all video (except now mp4, I guess. I haven't tried it) I understand what you are getting after, that if the file is not avi or mpg you would have to convert it to use in MMPlayer, but it just doesn't seem like a proper comparison to me.

To play a video in Kinoma, I must convert it to a pdb. To play a video in MMPlayer I do not have to convert it as long as it is one of the many formats that are of course supported by the program.

I haven't experienced the sync issue with MMPlayer, although I have seen it described on the forum. I use MMPlayer all the time to watch tv shows, movies and music videos downloaded from the net and do not have any sync issues at all on my Treo 600, Treo 650 or T|3.

I am a registered user of both MMPlayer and Kinoma 3.x The only reason I keep 3.x is for the videos of my kids that were converted from mov. It is kludgy to have to convert every single video I want to drop on my Treo.

With MMPlayer I can stream from the net, download with blazer and view or just drop the file on my SD Card via a card reader....no muss no conversion fuss.

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    With MMPlayer I can stream from the net, download with blazer and view or just drop the file on my SD Card via a card reader....no muss no conversion fuss.
    Cheers.
    Hi -
    Are you saying that you can stream TV shows off the net live with MMPlayer?
    I'm a registered user, but have not used it much. I probably don't have the latest version installed. What version are you using?

Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    MMPlayer requires no conversion, it either supports the file or it does not. Kinoma requires conversion to pdb for all video (except now mp4, I guess. I haven't tried it) I understand what you are getting after, that if the file is not avi or mpg you would have to convert it to use in MMPlayer, but it just doesn't seem like a proper comparison to me.

To play a video in Kinoma, I must convert it to a pdb. To play a video in MMPlayer I do not have to convert it as long as it is one of the many formats that are of course supported by the program.

I haven't experienced the sync issue with MMPlayer, although I have seen it described on the forum. I use MMPlayer all the time to watch tv shows, movies and music videos downloaded from the net and do not have any sync issues at all on my Treo 600, Treo 650 or T|3.

I am a registered user of both MMPlayer and Kinoma 3.x The only reason I keep 3.x is for the videos of my kids that were converted from mov. It is kludgy to have to convert every single video I want to drop on my Treo.

Cheers.
    Not true. Kinoma 3 can play MP4 files (like Divx and xvid) natively. If your files are in that format then your good to go. You don't HAVE to convert them. I think you may be thinking of Kinoma 2.

But regardless if you use MMplayer or Kinoma, if you have an AVI or MPEG II file that has a resolution of 6480x480 or something, you'll need to convert it down to a screen res of 320xwhatever and preferably some highly compressed format like Divx if you have any hopes of watching it on your Treo. Either it'll be too big to fit on the screen, or too fat to fit on the card.

I like Kinoma for bringing video with me. Its desktop software makes converting a file to a Treo optimized file (taking into consideration the screen res, file size and bandwidth constraints that come about by using your Treo to play media) very easy. But I ended up going back to Pocket Tunes for the same reason as the original post. I couldn't setup playlists of music. This made it hard to take advantage of the space savings of the AAC format. Sure, the files are smaller so I can carry 30 of them. But I only want to listen to 10 of them at one time.

Its too bad too. They are sooo close to having a killer product. One app that can handle music and video well would be great!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    Not true. Kinoma 3 can play MP4 files (like Divx and xvid) natively. If your files are in that format then your good to go. You don't HAVE to convert them. I think you may be thinking of Kinoma 2.

But regardless if you use MMplayer or Kinoma, if you have an AVI or MPEG II file that has a resolution of 6480x480 or something, you'll need to convert it down to a screen res of 320xwhatever and preferably some highly compressed format like Divx if you have any hopes of watching it on your Treo. Either it'll be too big to fit on the screen, or too fat to fit on the card.

I like Kinoma for bringing video with me. Its desktop software makes converting a file to a Treo optimized file (taking into consideration the screen res, file size and bandwidth constraints that come about by using your Treo to play media) very easy. But I ended up going back to Pocket Tunes for the same reason as the original post. I couldn't setup playlists of music. This made it hard to take advantage of the space savings of the AAC format. Sure, the files are smaller so I can carry 30 of them. But I only want to listen to 10 of them at one time.

Its too bad too. They are sooo close to having a killer product. One app that can handle music and video well would be great!
    Think I did confuse them, but I did mention the MP4 support above. I have them both...software junkie I am... MMPlayer is still the one I choose to use for video. Skinnable, and cheaper, supports better compression, more configurable, has a support forum, etc. I just keep Kinoma for the movies of my kids, thats it.

I don't have to scale my videos down too often (although I know what you are saying about resolution being too high) MMPlayer will play videos of higher resolution, it may give you a warning about being too high, but then will play the video the best it can, which is often good enough to me. Especially when you can tweak the buffer settings, scale the video on screen or overclock to compensate for the high bitrate. All things Kinoma cannot do.

Producer is also more of a pain then it is worth, errors more then I would like and gives incompatible messages for way too many formats, IMO...

Cheers, thanks for straightening me out, hate it when I post without thinkin!
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    Hi -
    Are you saying that you can stream TV shows off the net live with MMPlayer?
    I'm a registered user, but have not used it much. I probably don't have the latest version installed. What version are you using?

Thx.
    0.2.14p1, but there is 0.2.14p5 out somewhere as well. The 0.2.15 version is due out tomorrow, but then Magnus (developer) is not always on schedule.
    So what do you use with MMplayer to optimize a video? I've got Adobe Premiere, but I think that's overkill.

Just curious. I don't think I set out to be a software junkie. I'm more the minimalist when possible. But after Kinoma kinda fell short of handling audio as I had hoped, I bought Pocket Tunes.

I still use Kinoma for video, but that's more becuase I liked it on my T600. I'll have to give MMplayer a look over.

I wish I could just use Pics and Videos for everything, but its not meant to play full length movies I don't think!
    To tell you the truth, I never optimize jack. I just download (mostly) tv shows and throw'em on my SD card with a card reader. However, I guess most people that I hear about bumping down resolution and bitrate use either TMPEG or Virtuadub (I may have those names wrong, not software that I use)

Some of the times I get a message in MMPlayer that the bitrate is too high, selecting play movie will let it go on, it will either play nice or it will stutter. Like I said, you can adjust for that somewhat and sometimes you can get it to work, other times I just have to delete the video, converting and resolution and bitrate is more then I wish to do just to watch a cartoon or something in waiting room somewhere....

which, incidentally is why I don't actively use Kinoma anymore, the conversion (mostly with v2.x apparently) turned me off to the program...