Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    If the Cingular phone is unlocked, can a T-Mobile customer buy it? For instance, can a Cingular customer friend of mine buy it and give it to me without having to go through many problems? Perhaps say, it is "a gift"?
  2. #2  
    No. From everything I have read (not experienced) they generally will not sell you a phone without activation. You can obviously buy phones from 3rd party sources. I have on occassion read of a "claimed" exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahead
    If the Cingular phone is unlocked, can a T-Mobile customer buy it? For instance, can a Cingular customer friend of mine buy it and give it to me without having to go through many problems? Perhaps say, it is "a gift"?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    No. From everything I have read (not experienced) they generally will not sell you a phone without activation.
    Not true.
    Usually Cingular (stores only) sells phones with 2y, 1y and no contract (higher price of course).
    I am a T-Mobile customer and bought a Nokia 6620 from Cingular (FYI, it was unlocked).
  4. #4  
    I agree with brightcell. The downside is a significantly higher price. Cingular has in the past not been very aggressive with locking its phones, but AT&T has. Post-merger, if you do plan on buying a phone from them, make sure it is unlocked.

    - hoju
  5. zrs70's Avatar
    Posts
    107 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    #5  
    I bought my 600 from Cingular as soon as it came out in November 2003. Had no problem buying it without service, and putting my (then) ATT card in (which I quickly changed to T-Mobile).
  6. #6  
    The P1 website has a knowledge based article that says the Cingular Treo 650 WILL be locked so that will likely not work. Rumor says that P1 will release an unlocked Treo 650 for GSM at the same time. It that is true that would be the best option.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  7. #7  
    Try it now. Like I said, I have heard that it might have been done but the general rule is ONLY WITH ACTIVATION (or on an activated account).
    Quote Originally Posted by zrs70
    I bought my 600 from Cingular as soon as it came out in November 2003. Had no problem buying it without service, and putting my (then) ATT card in (which I quickly changed to T-Mobile).
  8. #8  
    Without a contract does not mean without having an exisiting account on which to activate it, it generally means without extending your existing contract. In any case, the vast majority of the stores will not sell a phone without having an existing Cingular account on which to activate the phone. That doesn't mean you won't find any who will, but the general rule is not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    Not true.
    Usually Cingular (stores only) sells phones with 2y, 1y and no contract (higher price of course).
    I am a T-Mobile customer and bought a Nokia 6620 from Cingular (FYI, it was unlocked).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    The P1 website has a knowledge based article that says the Cingular Treo 650 WILL be locked so that will likely not work. Rumor says that P1 will release an unlocked Treo 650 for GSM at the same time. It that is true that would be the best option.
    really? can you provide a link to the article?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  10. #10  
    He's only posted the link about 20 times already. For those to lazy to go to PalmOne's website and SEARCH "650 LOCKED" here it is again: http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...ASE=obj(16778)

    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    really? can you provide a link to the article?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    The P1 website has a knowledge based article that says the Cingular Treo 650 WILL be locked so that will likely not work. Rumor says that P1 will release an unlocked Treo 650 for GSM at the same time. It that is true that would be the best option.
    so I guess it's out of the question then. hopefully the cost of the unlocked GSM Treo 650 won't be outside of my budget when they come out.

    thanks for your help!

Posting Permissions