Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am new but one thing is we all need to be specific of 1) what treo service we use. 2) what model car and year. My title says it all. It will avoid a lot of confusion that we are all having if we are more specific of our equipment.

I recently purchase a 2005 BMW 330 ci convertible and decided to set up the Treo 650. First, BMW is clueless . They will only give you the code and it is up to you. There manual has nothing in it. I really spent half the day trying to figure it out.

First, turn key to 2nd position (just before starting engine). Make sure it is not in the first or engine on (who would have known). On the steering wheel is R/T. Push and make sure within 30 seconds your phone is communicating by bluetooth. It goes real smooth and it looks like everything is complete. (I just saved you a half of day of labor).

Here is the problem!! The Treo for some reason resets while making a phone call. It works for 1 minute then the phone resets. You can even dial on the phone then hit the voice on steering wheel and hear everything fine until the phone resets. It seems to have a problem loading the phone book. I loaded the new patch by palm one and nothing different occured. I contacted palm/sprint and they may get back to me.

Now my new problem. Can anyone tell me how to eliminate the bluetooth connection on my phone. When I call someone it disconnects my call unless I turn bluetooth off, but I need bluetooth for my computer. I have been turning it off and on to overcome the problem.

Finally, it this ever works and for the few minutes it did it was incredible which makes me really consider using another phone which I know works. The new Motorala RAZR has been said to work perfectly on the BMW.
    Quote Originally Posted by txtiger
    Can anyone tell me how to eliminate the bluetooth connection on my phone.
    In the Bluetooth app, goto Setup Devices, Trusted Devices, select the device you want to delete from the list and select Details, and finally Delete Device.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    Mark Eagle Thanks that did it.
    Maybe someone else needs to try their treo in the 05 330. If I happen to run into one, I will try it. I'm sure palmone will release more Bluetooth updates that will support bmw cars.
  5. FDG
    I have a 2005 BMW 330xi and a new Treo 650 with Sprint. My experience is almost identical to txtiger's. To expand on his experience, I watched the Treo 650 reset itself, attempt to connect, reset itself again, etc. over and over again until I disabled BT. It was very amusing after a while. I spoke with Sprint's level 3 tech support and the only advice they offered was to buy a car that was compatible.

I also spoke with BMW via their owner's circle web site. (My dealer was a just slightly better than clueless about BT.) They sent me a .pdf with more info about the pairing process for my vehicle. I would be happy to forward it to anyone who requests the document. But, bottom line, they were not able to solve my problem.

In a related matter, I have had BT pairing problems with a Motorola MPX220 (Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition) and my 330xi. The MPX220 does not reset itself like the Treo 650, but it does not reconnect with the 330xi after the pairing process. The same phone works with my other vehicle, a 2004 BMX X5 and its BT ULF system which. (a different implementation of BT than my 2005 330xi)

Unfortunately, I must enable and disable BT on my Treo 650 depending on where I am. I also use BT to sync with my PC. Fortunately, I still have 12 days to return my Treo 650 if I can't learn how (of if ) BT will work. I would be happy if I could simply use the 330xi as a audio device and not have the phone book sync'd!

I will look at the Motorola Razor, but I think it is not as capable as the Treo with Internet and e-mail. I also tried the Blackberry 7210t. (I think that is the model number) BT worked with my X5, but T-Mobile did not have good coverage in my area and no coverage while I am in my home.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a phone that has a working BT implementation, good Internet and e-mail capabilities and a good phone?

Regards,

FDG
    aaaaarrrrrggghhh, I am ordering a 330ci for Germany pick up this summer, this week. i hope this gets solved. I was dreaming of driving through Eurpoe with my Treo via bluetooth.
  7.    #7  
    I am having to do the same thing to the Treo - turning off and on the bluetooth - due to using Bluetooth to sync my computer. When I get in my BMW it keeps trying to Sync to the car if the bluetooth is active. My question is have you tried a bluetooth headset in your car? I was wondering if a headset is in the car if maybe it would not try to find the BMW bluetooth.
    What a dissappointment.

You said you could return your Treo. How does that work?
    Have you tried the blue tooth update on palms webpage under support. try that see if it fixes things. It supposed to fix some problems with some cars.
    What can you guys expect! I stopped with my 3rd BMW once Microsoft and BMW started bragging that BMW's had more Microsoft software than any other carmaker! On the other hand, I am sure that palm will update their software so it will work eventually. Question is, is it possible for BMW to do any updates to their internal BT software. I at present am not familiar with anyone that has their BMW bluetooth working properly with any phones yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    I at present am not familiar with anyone that has their BMW bluetooth working properly with any phones yet.
    I'm as much of a BMW nut as a Treo one. I've heard that people have had success with the E46 BMW and some newer Motorola and Nokia phones. Hardly anyone I've seen has had a seamless experience though. Bluetooth still seems to be bleeding edge technology that shows a lot of promise but isn't quite there yet. I'm just using my 650 and bluetooth headset in my car. It's a lot more cheaper, mobile, and stress free at this point. The cost to retrofit my 3-series isn't worth it.
  11. FDG
    Luckily, Sprint offers a "no questions asked" return policy if the device is returned within 14 days of purchase. Today, I returned the 650 to Sprint. I am sad to see it go back, but it is cheaper than selling my 2005 330xi or 2004 X5 4.4!!

I have a Sony Ericsson T637 that works without problems in both vehicles; although, the phone book does not transfer with the X5. My primary vehicle, the 2005 330xi, works great with the T637 phone. The phone book loads into the car, the steering wheel controls for the phone work great and the clarity of the conversations is very good.

What I lose is the great e-mail and PDA functionality of th Treo 650. I am convinced the problem is with BMW and not with the Treo. BMW was very smug with their useless response to my message sent to them via Owner's Circle. They tried to tell me the Treo was not on the compatibility list and then rattled off some nonsense about how they adhere to all these BT standards... If they cared about standards, I would not be writing this message!!

My next attempt at this will be when Cingular releases the GSM version of the Treo 650. I am not foolish enough to think it will work. But, I am foolish enough to give it a try. Also, I hear the Blackberry 7100g will soon be released on Cingular's network. If this is true, I'll give that a try, too.

Good luck everyone!
  12. FDG
    Here is a list of compatible phones. The text is taken directly from an e-mail that I received from BMW.

____

The list of currently approved phones for full compatibility with the system in your 2005 BMW 330xi is:
    -Motorola V600 (AT&T, Cingular, T Mobile) -Motorola V710 (Verizon) expected to be compatible when Verizon implements new software -Siemens S56 (AT&T, Cingular) -Sony Ericsson T616 (AT&T) -Sony Ericsson T637 (AT&T, Cingular) -Sony Ericsson T68i (AT&T, Cingular, T Mobile) -Sony Ericsson T608 (Sprint) -Sony Ericsson T610 (T Mobile)

Alternately, the most recent list of approved phones for full compatibility of the Bluetooth ULF system in your BMW X5 is:
    -Motorola Z3 RAZR (Cingular)
    -Motorola V551 & V535 (Cingular, T Mobile) -Motorola V505 (AT&T, Cingular) -Siemens S56 (AT&T, Cingular) -Sony Ericsson T637 (AT&T, Cingular) -Sony Ericsson T608 (Sprint)

_______

Maybe this will save someone else some grief!
    When I bought the car they said that they had phones from all of the major carriers.... believe it or not this was one of my reasons for buying the X5. Now I find out they don't have a phone that works with sprint!!! I am not a happy camper.

GaryR
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Luckily, Sprint offers a "no questions asked" return policy if the device is returned within 14 days of purchase. Today, I returned the 650 to Sprint. I am sad to see it go back, but it is cheaper than selling my 2005 330xi or 2004 X5 4.4!!

I have a Sony Ericsson T637 that works without problems in both vehicles; although, the phone book does not transfer with the X5. My primary vehicle, the 2005 330xi, works great with the T637 phone. The phone book loads into the car, the steering wheel controls for the phone work great and the clarity of the conversations is very good.

What I lose is the great e-mail and PDA functionality of th Treo 650. I am convinced the problem is with BMW and not with the Treo. BMW was very smug with their useless response to my message sent to them via Owner's Circle. They tried to tell me the Treo was not on the compatibility list and then rattled off some nonsense about how they adhere to all these BT standards... If they cared about standards, I would not be writing this message!!

My next attempt at this will be when Cingular releases the GSM version of the Treo 650. I am not foolish enough to think it will work. But, I am foolish enough to give it a try. Also, I hear the Blackberry 7100g will soon be released on Cingular's network. If this is true, I'll give that a try, too.

Good luck everyone!
    I have to disagree with you on this mate. If the problem is with the BMW and not the Treo, no phones from other manufacturer should work with the car either, right? I have a 2005 545i which came with a BT as a standard equipment. I personally have successfuly tried the following phones

Sony Ericsson T610. 100% compatibility including phonebook synch.
    Sony Ericsson T637. 100% compatibility including phonebook synch.
    Sony Ericsson K700i. 100% compatibility including phonebook synch.
    Sony Ericsson S700i. 100% compatibility including phonebook synch.
    Motorola V600. 100% compatibility including phonebook synch.
    Motorola R3. 100% compatibility including phonebook synch.

Nokia 9300. Works but no Phonebook Synch and no Caller ID support.

Regardless if the phone is on the BMW compatibility list or not, if the phone has a standard implementation to the correct BT Profiles, the phone should work. Not every phone has the right Profiles. The required profiles are Handsfree Profile (NOT headset Profile - they are not the same), Object Push Profile, Synchronization Profile (I think this is the same as Object Exchange - not sure).

The Kit in the 2005 MBW is made by Motorola so you can expect most of the Motorola phones to work with it except the pocket pc based phones since pocket pc does not support the Handsfree Profile by design - it does support the Headset Profile which does not work with the BMW.

Sony Ericsson is the only company that 100% complies with standard BT profiles and that is why Sony Ericsson phones work with your BMW. Their smart phones however P800 and P9xx do not have the necessary profiles because of the Symbian OS which does not support the necessary profiles natively. Sony Ericsson tried to add the necessary profiles to their P910 but they were not sucessful.

BMW will have updates to their software in the future but I think it is the phone manufacturer responsiblity to make their phones compatible with these cars. By the way, the same thing goes for Accura and Lexus.

I wish the Treo 650 works like I wished my Pocket PC Jam did and my Sony Ericsson 910 before that but for now, I have to live with a basic phone until one of the smart phone OS start supporting the necessary profiles.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have an '04 330 convertible (mystic blue/sand leather/black top) and I decided to go with a bluetooth headset for now. Once I hear better news about the BMW bluetooth kit I will think about it.
    My treo looks great in the cupholder of my dented Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeynut
    I have an '04 330 convertible (mystic blue/sand leather/black top) and I decided to go with a bluetooth headset for now. Once I hear better news about the BMW bluetooth kit I will think about it.
    I borrowed a 650 from a friend of mine. We installed the Car Kit update from PalmOne and guess what. The phone works perfectly with my 2005 BMW 545i - no problems.

Paired correctly - sent and received calls with caller id. Voice dial worked perfectly and the phone transfered the Speed Dial entries to the car. Only the entries that are associated with keys for speed dials will be transfered to the car (70 entries total). Although, I currently have close to 500 entries in my phone book in the SE S700i (which by the way works perfectly with my car including all 500 entries), I can live with 70 entries in the car. Finally, I can get one device for voice and data. I ordered mine today from PalmOne - 1 week back order for the unlocked GSM model.

I do not know if the phone would work with older models. The 2005 kit is a different kit than the previous models. It is made by Motorola.

Good luck everybody.
    Very Funny )
    i'll check if my co-worker has gotten his working in his 745i- it might just be the 3-series that has this problem?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Works in a BMW 330Ci (2004). Only problem is that the phonebook does not transfer. I just get a "Please wait" message on that screen, but thankfully, no resets. I can live with that for now until palmOne updates the Bluetooth software. This is with the 84 21 6 955 522 kit from BMW (originally made by Visteon). For those of you having problems on pre-2005 cars, please also include the part number of your Bluetooth kit. The newer Bluetooth kits from BMW have updated firmware to fix some of these things.

Edit: I am using the Cingular 650 with palmOne's GSM Bluetooth update installed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast