1.    #1  
    On one of Shadowmite's pages, there is a note on how to remove the Sprint proxy from the Treo 650. (See link for "To eliminate the HA...")

I followed the instructions, but the only effect it seemed to have was to prevent me from using Blazer. I could no longer log on to PCS Vision due to "registration failure".

Luckily, putting the primary and secondary HAs back how I found them fixed the problem. But perhaps I misunderstood the directions... Was I supposed to remove the MN-HA SPI and MN-AAA SPI values instead?

In any event, I am not clear what the purpose is of removing the proxy. Does it actually make web browsing faster? Has anyone tried this hack?
    That method doesn't work. See this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67403

You will see that Shadowmite did realize this method didn't work and intended to change the webpage, but may have forgotten. (Unless I am really confused)
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    On one of Shadowmite's pages, there is a note on how to remove the Sprint proxy from the Treo 650. (See link for "To eliminate the HA...")

I followed the instructions, but the only effect it seemed to have was to prevent me from using Blazer. I could no longer log on to PCS Vision due to "registration failure".

Luckily, putting the primary and secondary HAs back how I found them fixed the problem. But perhaps I misunderstood the directions... Was I supposed to remove the MN-HA SPI and MN-AAA SPI values instead?

In any event, I am not clear what the purpose is of removing the proxy. Does it actually make web browsing faster? Has anyone tried this hack?
    I think removing the proxy would only be of interest to people with very specific needs. e.g. if you had your Treo attached to your local network and you wanted to access a web page on your local network (like a page on a corporate intranet) you would need to disable the proxy. Otherwise your Treo would try to get to that page through Sprint's server. Since Sprint's server couldn't access your local web page the connection would fail. I was trying something similar while trying out some wap pages on my local apache server and Blazer refused to cooperate.

Most of the time disabling the proxy -- although not necessarily a BAD thing -- wouldn't be an advantage. In fact it would probably slow things down. I believe that the purpose of the Sprint proxy is to optimize web pages for our handhelds.

Feel free anyone to make any corrections or toss in your two cents.

Dave
    Dave
    Disabling the proxy seems to have made Blazer faster for me, because the Treo is going straight to the 'net and not through a proxy. However, Sprint account pages and things like that will not work through Blazer since you have to go to the proxy to access them. For me, I never used those pages that much, so it was worth it for the speed increase in Blazer.

I have gotten proxy errors several times before in Blazer, and this has eliminated them.

This is also good for those people wanting to setup their home PC to share the PC's Internet connection via Bluetooth. In it's normal mode, Blazer has to go through Sprint's proxy and is unusable over the Bluetooth network connection. After you remove the proxy, you can use Blazer to go through your home PC's Internet connection via Bluetooth.

I used the MSL unlock code for my phone to disable the proxy. I haven't tried ShadowMite's method - I just entered the code.

I got the code when I activated the phone. I called from my landline and was given the code to activate the phone.
    As an aside, if you do remove the proxy, remember to write down your original settings and to put them back to default before you ever do anything that will require having your phone re-provisioned by Sprint (such as changing your Vision password or any other aspect of your Vision account).

The Sprint CSRs seem to give out the MSL sometimes and the OTKSL (one-time key subsidy lock) other times when activating the phone. They're supposed to use the OTKSL so that you don't get the MSL, but you are one of the lucky ones who got yours that way. For others, you either have to sweet-talk a CSR into giving it to you or you can get it by looking into the guts of your phone with a serial cable and a program like BitPim (which is how I got mine).
    Hi,

I'm curious, I have my MSL (from a CSR rep), how would I use this to disable the proxy to see if things are indeed faster for browsing. I never use my phone to connect to the pcs websites, so I'm not worried about that.

Are there any other downsides to removing this proxy?

Thanks

b
    There are no other downsides BUT, as I stated above. you need to write down the default settings. If you ever have to call Sprint Customer Service to do anything to your phone that might affect your PCS Vision plan, re-enter the default info before you call. You will also need to re-enter the defaults if you want to access your account info on Blazer.

The steps are:

1. At the Dial Pad, enter ##3282#. This will bring up the Data screen.

2. Tap in the upper left corner where it says Data. Select Browser from the drop-down menu. Write down the default values in the primary and secondary NGG fields and the Port fields.

3. Tap Modify.

4. Enter your MSL and tap OK.

5. Clear all the entries in the primary and secondary NGG and Port fields (to blanks, not zeroes).

6. Tap OK.
    MacJunkie,

Thanks! I'll be sure to write down all my existing info before messing with any of it.

Great debate in the other thread, btw.

b
    I followed shadowsmites posted instructions on how to remove Sprint HA and browsing with Blazer 4.0 does seem snappier! I like it!
    c a r l n u n e s
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > iPhone( ) > Treo 755p
    WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING
    Just as general information, there is no need for this sort of thing on the GSM version of the 650. Blazer on the GSM version gives you complete control over the Proxy (if any) that is used. If you go to the Blazer Preferences menu, and then to the Advanced tab, at the bottom of the screen is a Set Proxy button. That button opens a dialog that allows you to select the Carrier's proxy, a custom proxy, or none at all. I had to turn off the proxy on my 650 so that I could get to my company's intranet via WECM.

Based on all the work that went into disabling Sprint's proxy, I assume that this capability doesn't exist on the CDMA version of the phone?
    Just looked at this on Blazer/CDMA 650. Same thing. Now I am really confused. Default is not to use a Proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    Just as general information, there is no need for this sort of thing on the GSM version of the 650. Blazer on the GSM version gives you complete control over the Proxy (if any) that is used. If you go to the Blazer Preferences menu, and then to the Advanced tab, at the bottom of the screen is a Set Proxy button. That button opens a dialog that allows you to select the Carrier's proxy, a custom proxy, or none at all. I had to turn off the proxy on my 650 so that I could get to my company's intranet via WECM.

Based on all the work that went into disabling Sprint's proxy, I assume that this capability doesn't exist on the CDMA version of the phone?
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more