Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My current "plan" is to release 1.0 around January 24th, with more or less the current feature set. There are some bugs I'm looking into, and some smallish features I'm planning on adding, but then I THINK I should put out the release and start work on 1.1.

Among major features that will go into 1.1 will be SD card support (it's so tied into everything else that I'm afraid adding it now will push out release by a month or more), viewing HTML messages via a browser (I'm NOT writing an HTML viewer!), and (perhaps) some support for sync'ing calendar and tasks on MS Exchange systems. There are some interesting search-related features I'd like to add as well, but that might be 1.2. If I were a betting man, I'd bet late February for 1.1 at this point.

I'm also thinking of increasing the license fee to $32 and distributing ChatterEmail via the usual suspects (Handango, PalmGear, etc.) But at this point, I have no firm plans... My biggest concern is dealing with more support issues, since they are very time consuming, but also very valuable (and often enjoyable).

I'm happy to hear thoughts from all of you.

Marc
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Marc -

I am very happy to hear that you are finally moving forward with Version 1.0. Here are my suggestions which might be useful to incorporate in version 1.0:

1) Option to list recepient in Sent Messages Folders
    2) Clean up the occasional 535 sent error message, which is cleaned up by resetting connections.

Congratulations and good luck moving forward.
  3.    #3  
    ambtreo - Could you make me a log that shows the 535's? I'm not sure who else is seeing this.

Marc

p.s. Yes, I should definitely do #1
    One nice thing that I miss from VersaMail is that ability to color read or unread message headers with a desired color (makes it easier for me to scan through).

The Exchange PIM stuff is pretty exciting.

Sam
    1.0 is definately a leap in functionality and user interface experience from the previous official version.

But since you asked for it:
    - Would it be possible to add high-res buttons to the list for version 1.0. It would greatly improve the look and feel of the product.
    - Use the phone book to complete email addresses (now it uses last x entries)
    - I can imagine that you don't want to create your own html viewer, butp please try to make the html option more useful than the one offered in Treo Mail (standard mail app that comes with the 600). This one only allows you to view the message in the browser, but it is impossible to hit reply after viewing the message. For me this was the major reason to move away from "mail". I also often get emails that start with "this app does not support mime messages", would be great if it would be scrubbed a little and rendered in a very basic way.

Again, just my wishlist...
    Thanks for the great email app!
    Marc,

Chatter is a great product. I enjoy using it. SD Card support will be a great upgrade. Thanks for all you do!!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    ambtreo - Could you make me a log that shows the 535's? I'm not sure who else is seeing this.

Marc

p.s. Yes, I should definitely do #1
    Marc - I will do so next time the 535 problem occurs, but it has not been often.
    I would love to be able to specify that chatter not try to reconnect to the network if the device is not asleep (yes, I know this will cause the screen on my treo to turn on after I've turned it off to reconnect to the network).

My problem is this: My treo 650 seems to disconnect from the network a good deal more often than my 600 did, and when it disconnects my device locks up for a few seconds and then tries to reconnect. This wouldn't bother me at all if I weren't using it at the time but when I finish with a phone call and immediately want to make another one I often have to wait for the device to connect back to the network or cancel the network reconnection (which can take almost as long, and requires that I remember to re-activate chatter later on). If chatter only reconnects when the device is asleep, though, then I won't have to personally wait for the reconnection nearly as often, which would be very nice
    I think the _only_ thing that Chatter absolutely must have for 1.0 is the ability to choose some different sized fonts. I really like to be able to choose some smaller fonts (on my 650) to see more data.

What I like:
    - the syncing (i keep my 650 offline and quicksync every 10min, but i LOVE that you sync flags)
    - the two line display - nice UI - I hate Snapper/Versa jamming stuff on 1 line
    - the many notification options
    - the nice status message you get with connecting, esp. the message countdown you see on a quicksync

Smaller things:
    - add a 'reply all' button to the message screen.. for a while i could n't see how to reply all (you select the message icon on the listing screen)
    - get a new icon to replace the 'envelope with a line thru it' showing non-connectivity. I couldn't figure that out for a long time
    - Come up with a way to upgrade that does not require removing the old versions... can't you just make it overwrite the existing prc & pdbs?
    - Make the manual a PDF! Don't release a manual as a Word file! Yuck.
    Marc:

Pending the SD additions, is it possible meanwhile to just take a file (say sent mail) and save it somewhere, labelling it (say, sentmail-january, etc) for future viewing, and have Chatter start a new sentmail file, then switching them back temporarily once in a while if I wanted to view the archived material? Or would that crash everything?
    Not sure if you want these prior to a release, but here is my wish list for a release, in order of my preference as a 24x7 chatter user

1) Show "subject" instead of "sender" in "compressed" view (or option to show either)
    2) Add one key command "c" to toggle compressed view sender/subject/off
    3) Shorter duration of vibrate so you can have a "nudge" rather than long vibrate (even though you might not feel it on the treo) which can be made into 2 or 3 nudges in rapid succession with the current repeat feature
    4) UI suggestion: Put subject underneath CC/BCC
    5) UI suggestion: add "Save" menu option to avoid confusion. I've been using chatter to type drafts now and it's scary to hit cancel when you want to save
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    ... viewing HTML messages via a browser (I'm NOT writing an HTML viewer!) ...
    Marc --Why are you setting your sight so low? If you can write an email client that is as vastly superior to the competition as Chatter is, then who's to to say you could do the same with an HTML viewer? And while we are on it, why stop there -- you might as well work on a PDF viewer for Chatter!!

Seriously though, congratulations on the upcoming release. Chatter is by far and away the best thing I enjoy about my Treo and is currently the only thing that is holding me from moving to one of the newer Pocket PC's.
    I have said it in another thread but I will repeat my wish list here:

1) I would love to be able to assign a single key press to move mail from my inbox to a specified folder. Right now, I need to press M (for move) then scroll down to find my Old Mail folder then press center button. I often send the mail to the wrong folder and then have to find it when I get back to the office.

2) I would also love to have some sort of filtering in Chatter so I can duplicate some of the rules I have in Outlook and not have to leave Outlook running.

I am very impressed with the program, but more importantly with Marc's attention and support. Although $32 is not unreasonable for this program (what do I care? I already own 3 licenses ), if support is becoming a problem, we will lose one of the greatest features of this software....MARC!
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchtrader
    Marc --Why are you setting your sight so low? If you can write an email client that is as vastly superior to the competition as Chatter is, then who's to to say you could do the same with an HTML viewer? And while we are on it, why stop there -- you might as well work on a PDF viewer for Chatter!!
    What's the ETA on ChatterWeb?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    What's the ETA on ChatterWeb?

Or ChatterIM?
    Hi, Marc.

I think this is pretty much ready to go. I suggest some minor clean-up before going GA. In particular, the options/preferences that do not do anything should probably be removed (e.g., "Strip Extra Line Feeds" in Preferences and "Default" in the "Sleep Hours" for the mailboxes).

My gratuitous functionality request would be that the manual QSync override the "Sleep Hours" set on a mailbox. (I mean, if I am *asking* for the QSync, why not?)

--Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    . I often send the mail to the wrong folder and then have to find it when I get back to the office.
    Yes, finding the right button is perhaps the biggest problem with Chatter. Before you officially release this, if you could make the keyboard a bit larger I think we would all feel better about it. I could also use a new antenna, but that's just me.
    Can't live without Chatter so I'm glad to see you move forward. One thought on supporting Calendar sync -- there is a shortcut for doing this that might be much simpler and doesnt require a sync. If you could make Chatter recognize the incoming meeting request email format that Exchange sends (or iCalendar) and have those messages posted as appointments in the Calendar, that would at least enable an accurate Calendar between wired syncs.

In any case, keep up the great work. Having used Mail and Snapper I can say that Chatter is well worth even the higher price.

Best,
    e
    One more thought on the HTML email thing. Having minimal HTML interpretation in the mail client is much more important than having perfect interpretation. Images, formatting, etc can all be sacrificed in order to have a more readable email message in the client. It would be great if it stripped out code for CSS, scripts, and then bolded, colored, italicized, hyperlinked, minimally text sized, etc within the mail client. Having the link to view as HTML in the browser would be gravy at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Yes, finding the right button is perhaps the biggest problem with Chatter. Before you officially release this, if you could make the keyboard a bit larger I think we would all feel better about it. I could also use a new antenna, but that's just me.
    Actually it would be great if you could send to a folder or subfolder on the server without having to have that folder/subfolder synced to Chatter. In other words, I'd like to move an incoming email to my "Friends" folder containing thousands of email messages but don't ever want to pull up that folder on Chatter. Just want to file the message there.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast