Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was bored this weekend, so I wrote the attached app. It shows how much dynamic heap and NVFS cache you have free. When either of these memory areas fill up you will start getting "out of memory" errors , even though it looks like you have plenty of space. Unfortunately, the only sure way to free up memory in these areas is to soft-reset.

This app has only been tested on a Treo 650. It will probably not work on anything else, except maybe a T5.

Please note that this app has *NO WARRENTY*. It is my own personal work and is not associated with any company.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Brilliant app! Wonder why it hasn't got the attention it deserves.

This diagnostic tool is useful in identifying the apps which are causing leaks in the DRAM Cache (aka NVFS Cache*).

*NVFS Cache might imply that the cache exists in non-volatile Nand Flash, but it doesn't; it exists in DRAM. To simplify, it is a cache FOR the NVFS which exists in RAM.
    Treo 680 Graphite, Unlocked GSM (FW: MW01.50 | SW: TREO680-1.04-ROW | HW: A)
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    I was bored this weekend, so I wrote the attached app. It shows how much dynamic heap and NVFS cache you have free. When either of these memory areas fill up you will start getting "out of memory" errors , even though it looks like you have plenty of space. Unfortunately, the only sure way to free up memory in these areas is to soft-reset.

This app has only been tested on a Treo 650. It will probably not work on anything else, except maybe a T5.

Please note that this app has *NO WARRENTY*. It is my own personal work and is not associated with any company.
    WOW!!! Awesome app!!! Thanks!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    oscarc, why not submit this app to mytreo.net and palmgear?
    MEMORY INFO

STORAGE HEAP(FLASH)
    TOTAL SIZE: 24270KB
    TOTAL SIZE FREE: 14574KB

NVFS CACHE (RAM)
    TOTAL SIZE: 11967KB
    TOTAL FREE: 8122KB
    LARGEST FREE CHUNK: 1887KB

DYNAMIC HEAP (RAM)
    TOTAL SIZE: 5440KB
    TOTAL FREE: 4463KB
    LARGEST FREE CHUNK: 4365KB

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Thanks for the cool app. One question though, I though the 650 had 24MB NVFS, ROM, and 10MB RAM to run apps in. How does this memory structure relate to the data you're displaying?

-Bigbot

Quote Originally Posted by oscarc

cool app.. wow.. I have liitle ram left for running apps left...must b from all those apps running in background
    shouldn't the dynamic heap total be larger than 5xxxk... if its supposed to be 10 mb?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbot45
    I though the 650 had 24MB NVFS, ROM, and 10MB RAM to run apps in. How does this memory structure relate to the data you're displaying?
    Check out the pic I got from palmOne's website.

Storage Heap (Flash) = NAND Flash User Data
    NVFS Cache (RAM) = DRAM DBCache
    Dynamic Heap (RAM) = DRAM Dynamic Heap + Misc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This app is fantastic. This ought to help substantiate the cause of some my seemingly "random" resets.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    This would explain why TomTom won't launch after a period. Man, Palm better get their act together on modern memory management! It's like the old Mac OS 8 days!
    search for UDMH (unlimited dynamic memory heap)

I started a thread about it and I think it's available at palmgear.
    This is great!!

1. Is it possible to show what apps are using the RAM - and how much space they are using up?

2. If (1) is possible, is it then possible to kill a process that is using up memory - AND recover the memory? This would avoid having to soft reset to recover memory - though that is a pretty quick process for me. A full soft rest, including having the phone come back on, is about 35 second, plus network acquisition time that takes about 10 or more seconds, usually (most annoying, that!)

Man, if you could do those two things, or even just (1), that would be fantastic!! I could then identifying and kill (or choose to cease uninstall) misbehaving apps very easily.

I suspect (2) is simply not possible, but I am hoping (1) is not totally unreasonable.

I know I'm asking a lot, but what the heck. If you don't ask...?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    This is great!!

1. Is it possible to show what apps are using the RAM - and how much space they are using up?
    Thank you! #1 is possible, to a certain extent, but not very easy, for two reasons. First, I would need to parse through PalmSource-internal structures, which may change between each revision and so the app would have to be updated each time. (For instance, the rumored Sprint patch may change these.) Second, because of the way memory is structured, getting this info would be fairly slow. I'll see what I can do, but no promises.
    Many thanks for a handy memory app that addresses what most memory programs don't (see below)

In regards to the last post...
    There are lots of programs that can identify the memory hogs on any PDA. Most launchers include enhanced Info features that indicate how much ROM & External disk space is occupied by a program and its databases/ files. (Just select icon>Menu> Info (OR select & HOLD icon for menu list in ZLauncher & other launchers).

I'm using ZLauncher now, and have used PC (PalmCommander) for an even more detailed look. (Note: PalmCommander seems to have an issue with its ButtonLauncher on T650, where once you set it up, there's no way to remove its settings)
    Anyways, I'm not sure if these options reflect the full ins & outs of the 650's Non-Volatile memory system, but the real memory hogs will be VERY OBVIOUS.

For example, I'm trying to upgrade Agendus 9.03, which needs 3MB free & clear (not an easy feat on this d*mn thing!), and a memory check revealed that VersaMail is taking up nearly 3 MB of onboard memory!! Funny thing is, I don't have more than 12 messages saved between 2 email accounts!! Where is the slop? Thinking of deleting VersaMail & reconfiguring the email accts just to get through Agendus' upgrade. Yes, an unneccessary waste....

Good luck.
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    STORAGE HEAP(FLASH)
    TOTAL SIZE: 24270KB
    TOTAL SIZE FREE: 14574KB
    This is where data and programs are stored when they are not in use. In the PalmOne diagram that someone posted, this is labeled as "User Data".

NVFS CACHE (RAM)
    TOTAL SIZE: 11967KB
    TOTAL FREE: 8122KB
    LARGEST FREE CHUNK: 1887KB
    This is where running programs and data being accessed are stored. This includes all open PalmOS databases/apps and PalmOS Feature Pointers. In the PalmOne diagram this is labeled as "DBCache". Data stored here are not permanent until it is written to storage heap (this happens automatically). Anything not written to storage heap is lost on a soft reset.

Since PalmOS doesn't support paging, free memory here can get fragmented (broken into lots of small pieces). The largest free chunk is the largest piece of free memory. This is the most amount of memory a program or PalmOS can request at one time from Storage Heap.

On my device when the largest free chunk value gets below about 500K I start getting memory errors and need to soft reset.

DYNAMIC HEAP (RAM)
    TOTAL SIZE: 5440KB
    TOTAL FREE: 4463KB
    LARGEST FREE CHUNK: 4365KB
    Dynanic heap structure is unchanged from the 600 (except its bigger), but I report it for completeness. Dynamic Heap is where apps store temporary data while running. Data in Dynamic Heap are always lost on a soft reset; it is never written to flash by the system.

I hope that helps.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    oscarc, why not submit this app to mytreo.net and palmgear?
    I think my employer would prefer that I didn't, but please feel free to submit it to any site yourself.
    thank for the complete answer that really helped me out
    nice app . i guess i dont get any resets cause im pretty free . viva la treo

THANKS again BIG O
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    oscarc,
    Thanks so much for this app. The NVFS info is a real eye-opener. My largest free chunk went from 1671 to 7510 after a soft reset. I am used to Windows machines having to be restarted periodically to clear out the trash (I mostly use Linux which is much better about those things), but now I see the value in periodically resetting my Treo.
    Zane
    Is this a dumb question? Why does it say "memoryInfo.prc" but when I click it it says "attachment.php"? I accidently hit "yes" download to card. Will it be there? If so, where?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast