Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Consul
    What is best way to reduce NVFS Cache (RAM) without deleting programs , is there one, or else how can one isolate which programs are eating up the NVFS Cache ? Thanks,
    There is no way to free up NVFS cache without a soft reset. The number of programs you have installed doesn't make a difference, so randomly deleting programs probably won't make difference.

Which programs you have installed does make a difference, though. Programs that are always running (like Seven, Snapper, GoodLink, etc) tend to use a lot of NVFS Cache all the time.

There is no way for an end-user to see what programs are using NVFS Cache; there are some developer tools (like PalmDebugger) that can provide stats, but even they provide very low-level info. With at least two (the original Sprint version and the Sprint update version), possibly more, different versions of NVFS out there, it's hard to write a tool to get this info.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy
    I ran this app and my phone wouldn't stop crashing. perhaps it conflicts with Goodlink?
    What does ##377 say is the cause of the crash?
    check out UDMH.....
    also profilecare has a new feature to help keep itself from slowing down the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindFull
    There are lots of programs that can identify the memory hogs on any PDA. Most launchers include enhanced Info features that indicate how much ROM

I'm using ZLauncher now, and have used PC (PalmCommander) for an even more detailed look.

Hey,

How can ZLauncher show some sort of this info?
    Two ways. From the menu App->Info shows total memory free in main memory as well as on the SD card. Second way is via ZL's File Manager where it shows the size of each file in memory.

However, neither of these shows precisely how the memory is allocated between heap, cache, etc. That's what the memoryinfo.prc app does.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    There is no way to free up NVFS cache without a soft reset. The number of programs you have installed doesn't make a difference, so randomly deleting programs probably won't make difference.

Which programs you have installed does make a difference, though. Programs that are always running (like Seven, Snapper, GoodLink, etc) tend to use a lot of NVFS Cache all the time.

There is no way for an end-user to see what programs are using NVFS Cache; there are some developer tools (like PalmDebugger) that can provide stats, but even they provide very low-level info. With at least two (the original Sprint version and the Sprint update version), possibly more, different versions of NVFS out there, it's hard to write a tool to get this info.
    Actually, it appears there is now Check out dbCache.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83968
    Is there any way MemoryInfo could add a button to do a one-time cache cleanup, similar to what dbCache does automatically? You know, for people who are having problems with dbCache and things like Chatter and GoodLink.

Also, adding a button to perform a soft reset from MemoryInfo would be very nice. After all, if I'm already there and memory is low, why make me take the back off my Treo and reset that way, when we know it can be done in software quite easily?

Thanks (if anyone is reading this)!
    Last edited by diamondsw; 06/23/2005 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added reset request
    Why is this application "locked".

I have this on the SD card. Trying to copy it (to RAM) shows a lock icon, preventing copying. FileZ also shows this to be "Copy Protected".

Any harm if I unlock/unprotect this file?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    I was bored this weekend, so I wrote the attached app. It shows how much dynamic heap and NVFS cache you have free. When either of these memory areas fill up you will start getting "out of memory" errors , even though it looks like you have plenty of space. Unfortunately, the only sure way to free up memory in these areas is to soft-reset.

This app has only been tested on a Treo 650. It will probably not work on anything else, except maybe a T5.

Please note that this app has *NO WARRENTY*. It is my own personal work and is not associated with any company.
    Hi,
    Is it possible to update MemoryInfo a bit for the 700p? When I try to Flush the memory I get a reset. Being able to flush cache on these machines is a big deal.

Right now I have to periodically do a manual clearing of the browsers in order to keep them up for any extended period. The main culprit here seems to be Blazer. I would be nice if 700p users could Flush too.

I get the impression that a couple of people have this working on the 700p but I am not sure. Possibly they have few programs?

Thanks!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123