1.    #1  
    Is anyone else as ticked off as i am about the Java VM's constant delays and the ipsec VPN client coming soon for a long time more than soon? i've got proposals relating to rolling out treos and palm is just ruining their chances by not letting my team prove how it stands against blackberry. which i guess is better in the long run cause this is horrid behavior for a vendor...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Java already exists for the Treo, do a search and it will come up.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    This is not for the Treo 650 though.
    linky

"Note to Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 users: WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment 5.7 for the Tungsten T5 and Treo 650 will available for download soon. We estimate software release in February 2005. Please check back on this page on or after 2/1/05."
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Well...that is for the Treo 600 and I know it will run on the 650 (I think it was causing a few resets on my handheld), but what exactly is the difference between that and the upcoming "WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment 5.7 for the Treo 650":

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/jvm/

Keith
    VPN capability already exists. I purchased and installed the Movian VPN client which fully supports IPSec - including SecurID implementation. Works like a charm on my Treo 650, and the VersaMail client is even VPN aware - you can connect/disconnect the VPN from the app for quick office email check.

A single user license runs about 54 bucks US, but the quality is exceptional. I purchased my copy from www.orlogix.com. They're in Europe, but they accept credit card orders and it's an immediate download when the transaction is complete.

Hope the info helps - I've been happily VPN'ing with my Treo now for several days, and it's marvelous. No laptop with me anymore.

Scott
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Java already exists for the Treo, do a search and it will come up.
    The link brings up a version of Java that seems compatible with the 600, but not 650
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Can you use the Movian client with Blazer?
    Sure can. I used it to access some internal web site that we can't get to from the outside. Works marvelously.
    Scott
    On a technical note, the way it sets up the 650 is really quite cool. It installs itself as an item under your Prefs heading. You'll see a new one called VPN - and you can configure the client to match your organizations settings. I got mine right the first time, so it's not difficult to config at all. We have to use SecureID tokens to authenticate after we connect, and it fully supports it - even brings up a prompt to get the user ID and token information. After that, you just click 'Disconnect' to drop the VPN connection. You can start and stop it at any time from the Prefs options.

The documentation left a little to be desired from the 650's standpoint, but I think the above pretty much sums up everything I ran into and it only took me, say, ten minutes to get it working.
    Scott
  12.    #12  
    yea, the movian vpn client was discontinued for end users and left as a framework for other vendors to create their own clients- that's what palm is doing... i dont know how orlogix is selling it stil...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I no longer see it on thier website. So when can we get it from Palm? I need a VPN that will work w/ our Cisco concentrators @ work.
    What about Mergic for the Cisco Concentrator?

I know Mergic doesn't support IPSEC, but in the meantime I had my IT folks configure a group in the Cisco Concentrator to allow PPTP connections.

Once an IPSEC client is available, I'll use that.

It works wonderfully, but you do need to have access to configure the concentrator. Here is a link from Cisco with all the details you would need to open the PPTP in addition to IPSEC: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...800949da.shtml

The only think I can't get to work is for the 'connect to VPN' option in VersaMail to connect me. I believe it's probably that the software is not programmed into 'preferences' like Movian is.

Hope this helps.

b
    I'm fairly ticked off about the constant delays in the JVM if that makes you feel any better. I've been using the one for the Treo 600, but it's buggy at best. Clearly just useful for quick proof of concept type things.
    What about Mergic for the Cisco Concentrator?

I know Mergic doesn't support IPSEC, but in the meantime I had my IT folks configure a group in the Cisco Concentrator to allow PPTP connections.
    Mergic only works while the 650 is awake. It locks up when the Treo goes to sleep in my experience with Chatter. So I would not recommend it for anything that needs to run all the time, like e-mail, until they fix it. Mergic knows about the issue, but has not indicated they will fix it.
    Jeff

Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
    Thanks, I haven't encountered this since I don't do any 'push' email or anything. I simply connect to the VPN and grab my exchange mail, or ftp/RDP into my networks servers.

Good to know though..

b
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcnaught
    Mergic only works while the 650 is awake. It locks up when the Treo goes to sleep in my experience with Chatter. So I would not recommend it for anything that needs to run all the time, like e-mail, until they fix it. Mergic knows about the issue, but has not indicated they will fix it.

Hi,

I found your post above while searching push mail solutions with a Treo 600.
    Several people told me the Mergic+Chatter combination just works like pushmail. It does, in some ways, but I also figured out that, whenever I switch the Treo off ( which is needed, otherwise I would run out of battery whithin a couple hours...), Mergic automatically disconnects.

Is there, to your knowledge, any solution to prevent Mergic to shut down ? Or maybe totally switch of the screen light (so that I don't run out of batteries so quickly).

Otherwise, is there another sofware solution to have email run at all times ?

Thanks much,

Tom