Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finally decided to get rid of my 650. The sound quality is not up to par. I ran a test on it because everyone was saying the background noise was overpowering my voice. As i mentioned in an earlier post. Well my test consisted of sitting in my car with a constant radio volume, the same song at the same place of the song, and reading the same news article aloud to someone on a landline. Yes i have way too much time on my hands. Anyways i compared the sound quality from the treo 650 to a sanyo PM-8200 without the people knowing which phone i was on. All three of the people picked the sanyo both before the Mite Patch, AND after. Therefore my conclusion is this thing was not meant for being a phone, and i will be consequently trading back to a plain old picture phone and pda lifestyle . Looks like its back to ppc for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion9k
    I finally decided to get rid of my 650. The sound quality is not up to par. I ran a test on it because everyone was saying the background noise was overpowering my voice. As i mentioned in an earlier post. Well my test consisted of sitting in my car with a constant radio volume, the same song at the same place of the song, and reading the same news article aloud to someone on a landline. Yes i have way too much time on my hands. Anyways i compared the sound quality from the treo 650 to a sanyo PM-8200 without the people knowing which phone i was on. All three of the people picked the sanyo both before the Mite Patch, AND after. Therefore my conclusion is this thing was not meant for being a phone, and i will be consequently trading back to a plain old picture phone and pda lifestyle . Looks like its back to ppc for me.
    Did you do a search here and try the patch? Many people report great improvement.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I'm sure there was an improvement... but it probably still sounds like crap.

What can you expect though. Palm is not a phone company. Even phone companies can make crappy sounding phones. So it's no surprise for a PDA company to make a crappy phone. His Sanyo is not even a great sounding phone. Crappy from the views, actually. So for Treo 650 to be rated below that, it tells you something.

I'm a little bit picky with call quality myself. Hopefully I will like the Treo 650. Or at least be able to bare it. It will be my first PDA/Phone. Can't hardly wait.
  4.    #4  
    i installed the Mite patch, and it was not improvement. 01coupe, what phone would you suggest then if you think the sanyo isnt good as a phone either. I want a phone with good voice quality. The 650 isnt unbearable, but for the $650 i paid for it, i shouldnt have to settle, it should sound like im talking on my house phone. Ill settle for voice quality on a phone that is a third the cost.
    And who exactly is a "phone company"? Moto is probably the only thing close to a true phone maker. Audiovox, LG, Sanyo, Sony, etc. all are electronics makers (TV's, hardware, stereo...) first. You can say that about all.

Actually, if anyone looks into the Handspring history, the Treo is what was envisioned from the beginning - a PDA/Phone. So they at least had the idea from the start, unlike the rest.
    i installed the Mite patch, and it was not improvement. 01coupe, what phone would you suggest then if you think the sanyo isnt good as a phone either. I want a phone with good voice quality. The 650 isnt unbearable, but for the $650 i paid for it, i shouldnt have to settle, it should sound like im talking on my house phone. Ill settle for voice quality on a phone that is a third the cost.
    Don't even think about the 6601. The 650 is like a corded landline spanning one inch between phones compared to the 6601. It sounds like each company forgot about the "phone" part of the PDA/phone combo.
    Scorp:

Motorolas usually make good sounding phones... same with Nokias.

For serious phone reviews, check out:

http://www.howardchui.com

and

http://www.arcx.com/sites/PhoneReviews.htm

The second site is VERY critical about sound quality, to the point of obsessive. But you can get a lot of information there. Particularly about voice quality (how realistic a person sounds, both incoming & outgoing), and RF (radio frequency) which measures how well the phone can hang onto weak signals when you are in a bad area.
    Maybe I got lucky but I have had no problems with the sound quality and I don't even have the patch.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    Maybe I got lucky but I have had no problems with the sound quality and I don't even have the patch.
    Ditto to that.

I've had the windows down on surface streets and no problem with sound on either end, nothing excessive at least.
    Hey - thanks for describing your experience and your test. I've had my 650 for about a month and I love it. The PDA/Web/VoiceMemo/Camera/Phone integration is more important to me than sound quality. (Although at a certain point, I'm sure I would have to give up on a phone where the sound quality was bad enough). And - where you seem to require excellent voice quality, it's less of an issue for me. I've had no complaints - but based on everyone's comments, I wouldn't be surprised if the quality wasn't great even on my T650.

Question
    - would you have time to try another test with a wired headset (vs. a bluetooth headset). I'm wondering if the quality would improve dramatically - thus indicating the microphone on the T650 also not being up to snuff.

Either way, I still love my T650 and feel that I'm getting excellent value for my $ - but I understand where other people have to measure the value/$ differently than I do.
    Motorola is not an exclusive phone company either.

What I mean by a phone company is, that they EXPERIENCE in making phones. Samsung invests BILLIONS of dollars into phone research. Motorola like-wise.

How much investment has Palm put into Treos? Most of the investment and R&D goes into the PDA functions, not the phone. If you can make the call, it's good enough for Palm.

As an anology...

Toshiba, is not a pure laptop company. They make a ****load of other things. But they are VERY respected in that field. But we all know about their PDAs, don't we? It is crap. I had one before. They are not a PDA company. No experience, and it is not their expertise.

Phone is not Palm's expertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by O1Coupe
    Motorola is not an exclusive phone company either.

What I mean by a phone company is, that they EXPERIENCE in making phones. Samsung invests BILLIONS of dollars into phone research. Motorola like-wise.

How much investment has Palm put into Treos? Most of the investment and R&D goes into the PDA functions, not the phone. If you can make the call, it's good enough for Palm.

As an anology...

Toshiba, is not a pure laptop company. They make a ****load of other things. But they are VERY respected in that field. But we all know about their PDAs, don't we? It is crap. I had one before. They are not a PDA company. No experience, and it is not their expertise.

Phone is not Palm's expertise.

I'm not denying any of that at all. Just the broad brush swipe about P1 not being a phone maker, when really no one is. Actually I guess Nokia would be a better example of a true phone maker.

And FWIW, I'm a Toshiba e755 owner, who knows all about the trials and tribs of other Tosh PPC owners!

I don't think the 650 is the greatest phone made, but if I wanted strictly a phone, without the extras, I wouldn't have paid for one. The phone quality is good enough for my needs, but thats me.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    insertion, you active duty? don't see too many rangers on the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    And who exactly is a "phone company"? Moto is probably the only thing close to a true phone maker. Audiovox, LG, Sanyo, Sony, etc. all are electronics makers (TV's, hardware, stereo...) first. You can say that about all.

Actually, if anyone looks into the Handspring history, the Treo is what was envisioned from the beginning - a PDA/Phone. So they at least had the idea from the start, unlike the rest.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  14.    #14  
    PDX, while i havent run a test on a wired headset, i have used one on the treo and people said i did sound much better. That was just me driving in the car though, not putting any effort into keeping all the variables more or less the same. I didnt need only a phone, i have a dell ppc, and used to have a sanyo 8100. i needed a combined device and i love the treo but i cant justify the money i spent for it if i cant use it as a phone. my 8100 and axim were, and are, working just fine. i may be able to text and email with rapidity, but i cant talk. wheres the value? plus, the internet doesnt work in my house. its really sensitive. doesnt work in the sprint store by my house either. and no i dont live in the boondocks, i live 5 mins from downtown miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    insertion, you active duty? don't see too many rangers on the site!
    No sir. 84-93...

served with 101st Airborne "Bastogne Brigade" 3/327
    and c/3/75th Rangers
    (that was obvious!)

Sua Sponte! or rather De Oppreso Libre!
    PDX, while i havent run a test on a wired headset, i have used one on the treo and people said i did sound much better. That was just me driving in the car though, not putting any effort into keeping all the variables more or less the same. I didnt need only a phone, i have a dell ppc, and used to have a sanyo 8100. i needed a combined device and i love the treo but i cant justify the money i spent for it if i cant use it as a phone. my 8100 and axim were, and are, working just fine. i may be able to text and email with rapidity, but i cant talk. wheres the value? plus, the internet doesnt work in my house. its really sensitive. doesnt work in the sprint store by my house either. and no i dont live in the boondocks, i live 5 mins from downtown miami.
    Sounds like you just have a defective phone. Just exchange it at the store. They'll renew your 14 day trial period.
    If you can wait for a few months, there are going to be A LOT more options in 3-4 months. No longer will it be just a couple Smartphones to choose from. Otherwise, I would give the 6600 a shot. I have the GSM version of this phone and the sound quality is amazing. I have been told many times from people that they can't believe I am not on a landline (when speaking to them on my cellphone).

Good luck
    Until recently I used a wire noise canceling head set with my Treo 600 while driving. The people on the other side of the line didn't know I was driving a 1995 Honda on concrete highway.

Unfortunatly I lost it and cannot remember the brand or model number.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    If you can wait for a few months, there are going to be A LOT more options in 3-4 months. No longer will it be just a couple Smartphones to choose from. Otherwise, I would give the 6600 a shot. I have the GSM version of this phone and the sound quality is amazing. I have been told many times from people that they can't believe I am not on a landline (when speaking to them on my cellphone).

Good luck
    I hope that you're right about having more choices in a few months. The CDMA 6601 was a major disappiontment. The 650 not being EV-DO is also a turn-off.

If you need a phone right now, you might try the Samsung i600. It's a lot more phone than PDA.
  20.    #20  
    i dont know about the 660x, i think im going to go back to strictly a dedicated phone and dedicated pda. that way if something happens and one breaks, im not completely lost. nad eventually when more products are on the market that are better all around i may look into it again. im probably going to get the sanyo PM-8920 or the sanyo MM-7400 from sprint. thanks for the help guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast